Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"1984" Sales Surge after "alternative facts"

Source

George Orwell's dystopian novel "1984" is surging in popularity in the days since President Trump's inauguration.

The iconic book, published nearly 70 years ago, is the sixth best-selling book on Amazon as of Tuesday morning.

Top Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway on Sunday defended the White House's statements about the size of the crowd at Trump's inauguration by referring to it "alternative facts."

She was referring to White House press secretary Sean Spicer's insistence that Friday's swearing-in was "the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period," despite photos and videos showing that former President Obama's 2009 inauguration clearly had a bigger crowd on the National Mall.

Many on social media compared "alternative facts" to the use of "newspeak," a type of rhetoric in "1984" where the government lies to citizens and insists its lies are the only acceptable truth.
    "The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
    -1984 Book 1 Chapter 7
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Well, if Trump is getting people to buy books, it can't be all bad.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people that buy the book are actually able to read the whole thing.

Yes it feels very 1984 right now. I'm not sure that the right-wing base is even noticing, though. My Republican friends seem to be carrying on as if nothing unusual in the slightest is happening.

It's depressing.

Did people in the USA get a proper education? Will they be able to understand it?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well, if Trump is getting people to buy books, it can't be all bad.
    Pretty sure that the people who need to be reading it aren't buying them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Did people in the USA get a proper education? Will they be able to understand it?
    Funny. We have a great education system, for those who can afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes it feels very 1984 right now. I'm not sure that the right-wing base is even noticing, though. My Republican friends seem to be carrying on as if nothing unusual in the slightest is happening.

It's depressing.
    To be fair, the 1984 scenario described a left-wing tyranny. Although, I think, at some point all tyrannies converge into the same Orwellian state.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1984 was not depicting some possible future you know...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Depending on where we grew up yes. Don't let the wave of Idiocracy our nation has let crash upon itself lead you to believe that we're all that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    To be fair, the 1984 scenario described a left-wing tyranny. Although, I think, at some point all tyrannies converge into the same Orwellian state.
    Isnt the tyranny from farenheint 451 a little more reminiscent of trump? It is to me
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

I mean, in all fairness, the concerns involving the similarities to '1984' have been around for quite some time. Trump's an easy scapegoat but I remember it being not so long ago that people were brushed off as 'conspiracy theorists' for daring to suggest that politicians other than Trump were pushing society towards an 'Orwellian' reflection.

The political pendulum in many countries is stuck bouncing between the 'Far Left' and 'Far Right' and a lot of people insist on encouraging that to happen because they refuse to compromise and are more interested in 'getting back' at the people on the opposite side of the perceived political spectrum. This, in turn, blinds them to the gradual erosion of liberties and rights - allowing the government to grow in influence and power whilst also leading to large corporations getting more and more influence and power as well.

It's not just limited to America, either. So Trump isn't fully to blame for such things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost every front page thread was in relation or about trump. This gon be a wild 4 years, if he even makes it that far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Isnt the tyranny from farenheint 451 a little more reminiscent of trump? It is to me
    It is similar, but from my understanding, that was not as much a tyranny, as an enforced idiocracy. Trump's regime is more of a natural idiocracy: he isn't trying to make people dumber on purpose. Yet...
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

It is similar, but from my understanding, that was not as much a tyranny, as an enforced idiocracy. Trump's regime is more of a natural idiocracy: he isn't trying to make people dumber on purpose. Yet...
    With devos appointment, and the gagging of the EPA and other agencies, it seems that it will be an enforced idiocracy
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    People should read the "Island" by Aldous Huxley as well. Not because it relates to Trump, but because it could be an antidote for why people like Trump get into power.
    I haven't read the "Island", but I have read his "Brave New World". It describes pretty well the society which would be a logical conclusion to a state formed almost exclusively by people with Trump's ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't read the "Island", but I have read his "Brave New World". It describes pretty well the society which would be a logical conclusion to a state formed almost exclusively by people with Trump's ideas.
    I'd say Brave New World is more a society hyper-involved in the perfection of humanity by science.

In that key distinction they differ quite greatly. Though I'd say they're the same in their attitudes towards minorities, the roles of workers, and suppression of philosophy they disagree with.

If you want a movie that details the rise of a clod like Trump, look at A Face in the Crowd.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    The irony of leftists reading this in response to Trump. It's delicious.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    The irony of leftists reading this in response to Trump. It's delicious.
    I'd say concepts like "doublethink," "crimestop," and "facts" driven by the government's narrative are becoming quite apropos under Trump's reign.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh shit...next you're going to tell me that Games of Thrones isn't a Historical Record...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, just an extrapolation based on an actual past.