Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I find it funny the same people who are against people banning people the ability junk food that makes them fat was in favor of the NYC soda restriction laws.
    I'm not in favor of either.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    They will have to define it before they can stop the poor from by it with food stamps. Once the definition is in place, ban the lot. If you choose to buy the ingredients and cook your junk food at home, so be it but I have no idea why anyone would eat that shit, homemade or bought from a McDs type slopshop.

So what is the point of banning it?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Green beans are cheaper sure, but as for the chicken. Where I live chicken is around $2-3 per pound, Cereal is $2-5 per box depending what you buy.
    Which do you think would keep you full longer, a 12 oz box of cereal at 4 dollars a box or 16 oz of chicken between 2-3 dollars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Which do you think would keep you full longer, a 12 oz box of cereal at 4 dollars a box or 16 oz of chicken between 2-3 dollars?
    That's going to vary by person but if you want to get technical the box of cereal is loaded with carbohydrates which is going to make you feel fuller longer.

It's like going to the restaurant and not eating your dinner because you filled up on bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    That's going to vary by person but if you want to get technical the box of cereal is loaded with carbohydrates which is going to make you feel fuller longer.

It's like going to the restaurant and not eating your dinner because you filled up on bread.
    depending on which cereal you buy it can also be loaded with fiber.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account

Can you repeat your first question please. Because it seems you are now moving the goalposts.

to answer your question though. 2lbs of chicken is at best 2 meals. (mind you you now need to add costs for veggies or any side you may eat with your meals.

Where as cereal provides breakfast for a week.

So 2 meals vs 7 meals.

I need to point it out again, because it seems like a lot of people don't understand this:

The US government subsidizes corn, cotton, and tobacco with about $12.5 billion a year, while the rest of farm subsidies only make up about $4.683 billion. (This doesn't even count the crop insurance programs that add on about an extra 25%.)
    Our legislators need to switch subsidies from corn ($7.3 billion)(mostly used for high fructose corn syrup) and tobacco to healthy foods.
    (These numbers are according to the Congressional Budget Office from 2005.)

You can go here for a full breakdown of US farm subsidies from 1995 to 2014:
    https://farm.ewg.org/region.php?fips...progcode=total

Corn is subsidized an insanely high amount and tobacco shouldn't be getting any subsidies at all. Until these things are fixed, we shouldn't mess with food stamps in this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    To help people live a healthy life. Quit simple really.

But they can still buy junk food? Now they just have to cook/bake it themselves. Unless you ban things like plain sugar and flour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    depending on which cereal you buy it can also be loaded with fiber.
    Then it'll empty ya out faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the cereal, since you can make more 'meals'out of it than 1 pound of chicken.

Can you repeat your first question please. Because it seems you are now moving the goalposts.

to answer your question though. 2lbs of chicken is at best 2 meals. (mind you you now need to add costs for veggies or any side you may eat with your meals.

Where as cereal provides breakfast for a week.

So 2 meals vs 7 meals.
    um no, 8oz of chicken breast is mroe than enough for a meal. You didn't even factor in milk. Not to mention your body will burn through that sugar in 2 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least they won't have to wipe, saving costs on toilet paper! Cereal wins again

- - - Updated - - -

At least they won't have to wipe, saving costs on toilet paper! Cereal wins again

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly a move in the right direction if it passes.

You definitely shouldn't be able to purchase energy drinks and shit with EBT and other similar welfare programs. Use your own money for that stuff. Keep it WIC style where you have to buy milk, good meats, veggies. Things of that nature.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    um no, 8oz of chicken breast is mroe than enough for a meal. You didn't even factor in milk. Not to mention your body will burn through that sugar in 2 hours.

Yes. I forgot. sugar is the ONLY ingredient in ALL cereal.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they can't buy junk food if it's banned.

...would you consider chocolate chip cookies junk food?

Yes. I forgot. sugar is the ONLY ingredient in ALL cereal.
    Since this is about junk food being banned I assumed you meant sugar cereal and not healthy cereal . And by the way yes, process carbs turn into sugar.

...would you consider chocolate chip cookies junk food?
    Yes. /10char
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I don't really see why we simply don't offer them boxed meals or a mess hall like a army base would have. Most people on food stamps are not their from making wise choices.
    Soup kitchens for all!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is the most ignorant logic I have ever seen. A whole mile, gee wiz! I live 8 miles from my store, guess I am part of that as well. How do these people manage to buy food without living 1 mile of their store, OMG they must be starving!! LOL This is why I read these forums for a good laugh.
    I mean... do you have a car? Because if you have a car, you're not part of that. I live 10 miles from the Wal-Mart here, and I'm not part of that, even though my town is actually a food desert. Whatever it costs at wallyworld is pretty much what you're going to have to pay because the next closest supermarket is like 40 miles away.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...rch-atlas.aspx

That's where that map led to eventually, they made an interactive one.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Soup kitchens for all!
    I don't see why not if it provides them with a good healthy meal.