Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb "Carried to this extreme, an elector could be sold to the highest bidder"

“Obviously their minds are made up and they’re not going to change. I’m not either,” the soft-spoken Geise said.

Reports of GOP electors being badgered have been reported in numerous states, including Georgia, Idaho, Tennessee, Arizona, Utah and Michigan.

Like Geise, Republican Patricia Allen of Tennessee told The Post she’s been bombarded with 2,000 emails, 120 letters and five phone calls all urging her to switch and vote against Trump. But Allen, 74, said that despite the “siege,” she’s not budging.

“This has never happened before … Do you know how long it takes to delete all those emails every day?” she asked.

She’s also been solicited by a Harvard University group backed by constitutional law Prof. Lawrence Lessig, who has offered free legal aid to electors who change their vote.

“That borders on bribery,” said Allen. “Carried to this extreme, the day might come when an elector could be sold to the highest bidder.”

Lessig claims that 20 GOP electors are considering voting against Trump.

Even if true, that wouldn’t be enough to alter the outcome when the 538 members of the Electoral College gather to cast their official votes. Trump has 306 electoral votes, 36 more than the minimum required.

For Michael Banerian, a senior at Oakland University in Michigan and a Republican elector, the harassment comes with a dark side.

He said he’s been getting death threats via email, snail mail, Twitter and Facebook.

“Somebody threatened to put a bullet in the back of my mouth,” Banerian, 22, told The Post on Wednesday.

In Utah, a group called Democracy and Progress PAC placed full-page ads in Salt Lake City’s daily newspapers telling electors they are “not bound” to vote for trump, who won the state.
    (source)

I suppose this the logical extension of Call-Out culture and the SJW method of death threats and harassment against people. Electors can now be expected to be threatened, or bribed which raises the interesting situation of "When will Electors be bribed to vote against their states citizens?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

As a guy who would take say , $10,000 to do pretty much anything outside of violence against someone, even I wouldn't swap my vote to Hillary.

I don't think Americans realize just how close they came to the end, this year. Looking back, this election will be remembered alongside shit like the Cuban Missle Crisis.

Some final destination shit almost happened to America and its allies. Hillary is bloodthirsty.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    As a guy who would take say , $10,000 to do pretty much anything outside of violence against someone, even I wouldn't swap my vote to Hillary.

I don't think Americans realize just how close they came to the end, this year. Looking back, this election will be remembered alongside shit like the Cuban Missle Crisis.

Some final destination shit almost happened to America and its allies. Hillary is bloodthirsty.
    Watching Liberals turn into bloodthirsty animals craving war with Russia is somewhat hilarious from my vantage point.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

“That borders on bribery,” said Allen. “Carried to this extreme, the day might come when an elector could be sold to the highest bidder.”
    Wow, almost seems like you should get rid of the terrible EC system or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it illegal? I mean, to bribe an elector?

Serious question, I do not know the answer to this. But it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If state law allows for electors to sell their vote to the highest bidder, then perhaps states should reconsider their laws regarding electors.

Or we can just cry about SJWs.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Wow, almost seems like you should get rid of the terrible EC system or something.
    You're mixing two issues together, that are completely unrelated.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    A simpler method might be to just require electors to vote as their state votes.

How do you get to be an elector at age 22? What went wrong with my life.

Anyway, is it legal to subtlely bribe them? I'd chip in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Defeats the purpose of the EC.
    And this.

But this leads to question how a problem like this can be tackled. How do you tackle this?

Obviously the EC is there for a reason. That there's a fee for voting for someone else you were sworn in is a soft wall to prevent bribery... which obviously come off short in an age where everyone is connected and funding can happen in hours.

So what do we do?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like you don't understand the point of it, and are just complaining because you don't like trump. I'll quote a previous thread about it since you seem so confused.

"Nearly the entire premise of the U.S. Constitution—including the Electoral College—is setting up a system of government such that in a large country with as many striking regional and political differences as ours, one state can’t dominate the rest.

Clinton’s margin of victory in California was 4.3 million votes. The rest of the country has good reason not to want national elections to be determined by California alone. Maybe next time have your candidate set foot in Wisconsin? Maybe next time nominate a candidate who’s not so terrible that she runs only a point or two ahead of Donald Freaking Trump in national elections?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah get money out of politics. This is great everything is inverted. Can you imagine they bribe electors and now conservati es want money out of politics?? Hahahahha its like the fucking twilight zone

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you seriously posturing yourself in case the EC doesn't vote for Trump?

Paranoid, much?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Are you seriously posturing yourself in case the EC doesn't vote for Trump?

Paranoid, much?
    The EC is unlikely to install Hillary Clinton, its just nasty the threats that are being levied at the Electors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    And this.

But this leads to question how a problem like this can be tackled. How do you tackle this?

Obviously the EC is there for a reason. That there's a fee for voting for someone else you were sworn in is a soft wall to prevent bribery... which obviously come off short in an age where everyone is connected and funding can happen in hours.

So what do we do?
    Get rid of winner takes all and distribut EC votes according to how state population votes?

It eliminates swing states and makes candidates focus on every state.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Hah get money out of politics. This is great everything is inverted. Can you imagine they bribe electors and now conservati es want money out of politics?? Hahahahha its like the fucking twilight zone
    Can you imagine Liberals suddenly becoming okay with bribery, cheerleading the CIA, and desiring foreign wars to assert American dominance? Shit, me neither, glad that shit ain't happening. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people want unrest and potential civil war? Because that is how you get it if electors are bribed or threatened into changing their votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Do people want unrest and potential civil war? Because that is how you get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do people want unrest and potential civil war? Because that is how you get it if electors are bribed or threatened into changing their votes.
    Eh, why not. Fuck it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post

That's some massive fearmongering.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    (source)

I suppose this the logical extension of Call-Out culture and the SJW method of death threats and harassment against people. Electors can now be expected to be threatened, or bribed which raises the interesting situation of "When will Electors be bribed to vote against their states citizens?"
    Every one, not only electors, are expected to be threatened or bribed, thats why there are laws in place regarding these matters.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2016-12-15 at 11:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    The rest of the country has good reason not to want national elections to be determined by California alone.
    Ain't that the fucking truth!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    It's almost like you don't understand the point of it, and are just complaining because you don't like trump. I'll quote a previous thread about it since you seem so confused.

"Nearly the entire premise of the U.S. Constitution—including the Electoral College—is setting up a system of government such that in a large country with as many striking regional and political differences as ours, one state can’t dominate the rest.

Clinton’s margin of victory in California was 4.3 million votes. The rest of the country has good reason not to want national elections to be determined by California alone. Maybe next time have your candidate set foot in Wisconsin? Maybe next time nominate a candidate who’s not so terrible that she runs only a point or two ahead of Donald Freaking Trump in national elections?"
    I keep seeing people say this, but can never go into detail. Can you tell what reasons cali would have for voting for someone that would not benefit anyone in any other state?