View Poll Results: Is mathematics discovered or invented?

Voters
135. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

8 5.93%
  • math is discovered

65 48.15%
  • math was invented by us

62 45.93%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Is mathematics discovered or invented?

Is mathematics something that exists in nature and we are somehow extracting that information from nature, or are we coming up with mathematics on our own?

If we met aliens and they had a completely different way of doing math, that would point to us inventing our own math. If the aliens had the exact same math system that we do, that would point to math being something that exists in nature?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Mathematics is a language to describe the universe.

Its neither discovered nor invented, its described.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Math is exactly as physics; it exists independent of our awareness of it.

How it might be translated by different races isn't relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

it has to be discovered before it can be described.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    The Catholic Church refused to recognize the integer "0" for the longest time thinking it a heathen thing since it meant "nothingness" and it was utilized by Muslims, which is what is used today "Hindu-Arabic" numeral system.

Entirely invented. It's a language to describe processes, relations, sums, et cetera.

Calculus, for example, doesn't exist as a thing independent of human thought out in the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mathematics is a language we use to describe the universe, so you could say that it's both invented and discovered. The mathematical language is invented, but what it describes are discovered.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-12-11 at 03:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Is mathematics something that exists in nature and we are somehow extracting that information from nature, or are we coming up with mathematics on our own?
    I would say there is fundamental logic that nature follows but we can try to understand it through data, math expressions, equations. Physicist David Deutsche says "without explanation there is no such thing as data".

@Garnier Fructis has a different take, that processes and information or data can be separate stand alone concepts, apparently where neither is extracted from the other?
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-12-11 at 05:01 AM.

I think it depends on what aspect of mathematics that you're talking about. There are certain aspects that are invented, like when you define the rules for what it means to add, multiply or divide, or what an '=' sign means. But once you set up those rules, a lot of things get implied or can be concluded based on those rules, which would be classified as discoveries in my opinion.

*shrugs*

1 + 1 = 2

Symbols may change but the meaning and results don't.

Deleted

Considering new concepts and ways of approaching calculations are developed ; they are invented.

Just as we can invent words and ways to express things - Math is a evolving thing.

OT: Who the *beep* really thinks Math is a Universal force to be "discovered", lol? Are you so arrogant, to really wish to believe that a random collection of biological blobs that came to sentience, superimpose their understanding to the level of that it's actually a factual truth, that the universe would REMOTELY be connected to us?

Dear lord.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Discovery implies existence since before - Math is a construction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    *shrugs*

1 + 1 = 2

Symbols may change but the meaning and results don't.
    Depends on the axioms ; 1 +1 = 2 is only true on a certain set of subjective constraints.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2016-12-11 at 04:17 AM.

Mathematics is, foremost, a language invented by humans. It is the most advanced language we, as a civilization, created and it can be used to define the Universe as we understand it.

Bear in mind, that mathematics isn't exactly the number system created by the Arabian culture,as 1 equals one unity, but the mental understanding of that numerical system, as 1+1=2. It is absolute and, let's be honest, it makes sense.

Therefore, as an answer to your question, mathematics is something both invented and discovered by humans. It's easier to look at it as something that perfectly describes the Universe but I, and Humanity as a whole, can't say for certainty that it is the sole system capable of such description.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Mathematics is a language we use to describe the universe, so you could say that it's both invented and discovered. The mathematical language is invented, but what it describes are discovered.
    Discovery is still implying previous existence ; Math is created upon the point of invention, thus, never "Discovered".

Even in perspective of "But we figured something we didn't know before" - Still does not imply that math per say, was there to begin with - So, in the grand scheme of math itself, it's invented, for the person in question understanding it - it's discovered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post
    Bear in mind, that mathematics isn't exactly the number system created by the Arabian culture,as 1 equals one unity, but the mental understanding of that numerical system, as 1+1=2. It is absolute and, let's be honest, it makes sense.
    Nothing in math is absolute, as the theory of it is based on subjective axioms to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Depends on the axioms ; 1 +1 is only true on a certain set of subjective constraints.
    Prove it.
    If you can.

And not some thesis length post that merely obfuscates. Something as simple and easy as..say...1 + 1...

Deleted
    Trust me we know jack shit about world around us. Math and physics as complicated as they look are nothing compared to real truth. Truth that our minds aren't capable of understanding. Nor should we understand it I was to be honest with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discovery is still implying previous existence ; Math is created upon the point of invention, thus, never "Discovered".

Even in perspective of "But we figured something we didn't know before" - Still does not imply that math per say, was there to begin with - So, in the grand scheme of math itself, it's invented, for the person in question understanding it - it's discovered.
    Which is why I wrote that the "mathematical language" is invented.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Prove it.
    If you can.

And not some thesis length post that merely obfuscates. Something as simple and easy as..say...1 + 1...
    You ask for Mathematical proof, yet dismiss the notion of a thesis.

I don't think you are ready to grasp the concept.

You ask for Mathematical proof, yet dismiss the notion of a thesis.

I don't think you are ready to grasp the concept.
    Oh...you mean you can't prove it...
    *shrugs*
    I already knew it.

I don't think it's fair to the history or practice of mathematics to say that it's discovered or invented. It's essentially both.

This duality is sort of built into a lot of abstract mathematics. We invent some new structure by setting down a bunch of rules that it follows, and then it becomes a game of what we can discover about this structure using logic and whatever other structures it depends on.

Though if you really think about it, things like 'group' and 'field' were abstracted from more concrete examples, which were themselves either discovered or abstracted from something else. So in a really roundabout way, one might be able to argue that it all boils down to discovery, and that the only aspect that we invent is how we choose to organize what we know.

Most of mathematics started out this way, but a good amount of modern pure mathematics doesn't really describe anything about the real world. That being said, I'm of the belief that we can apply anything if we try really hard:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/14...4-20160603.png

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I would say there is baseline logic that exists in nature but we can try to understand it through mathematical expressions and data. The physicist David Deutsche says "without explanation there is no such thing as data".

@Garnier Fructis has a different take, that processes and information or data can be separate stand alone concepts, apparently where neither is more dependent on the other?
    I don't necessarily disagree with Deutsche. I'm pretty sure he's getting at the fundamental problem of experiment and data, which is that you can only interpret that data through some theory that is assumed to be valid. Without a theory of electromagnetism, what does the mass of an electron even mean? So in that sense, data is not truly objective in its own right, but dependent on theory for interpretation.

But in general, I do think there is a difference between a mathematical or logical process, and the 'object' on which it acts. This is sort of the underlying philosophy of abstract algebra. We talk about groups, fields, torsors, etc., but all of our theorems in some sense assume that meets our criterion for being one of these objects. Because otherwise, we'd be talking about nothing. The flip side is that our deductions of groups apply to anything that meets the criterion for being a group. Crystal orientations, integers, complex matrices, even functions can be groups. So our abstract algebraic deductions are independent of any specific instance or model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Nothing in math is absolute, as the theory of it is based on subjective axioms to begin with.
    Everything we believe as truth is based on subjective axioms.