Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disabled Man gets Facebook ban because it doesn’t believe his real name is DJ

Dismayed 55-year-old says he's been left isolated from friends and family by social network who claim he is marketing himself as a Disc Jockey

A DISABLED man who changed his name to DJ has been booted off Facebook – because they don’t believe his name is real.

The 55-year-old – who changed his name via deed poll in 2008 after becoming victim of security fraud – said the social network has barred him because they claim he is marketing himself as a disc jockey. Despite providing them with his driving licence and other documents to prove his genuine identity, DJ says the site won’t budge.

DJ, of Hull, East Yorks., suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis which leaves him housebound and confined to a wheelchair.

Because of his struggles to use phones, and as a result of the Facebook ban, he said he has been left isolated from his friends and family – as it is his main means of contacting them.

Distraught DJ said: “I had to change my name to protect myself.

“I chose DJ because I used to be a DJ and I was into music but I’m not promoting anything now.

“This is my real name. I’m no good with mobiles and it costs too much for me to make a phone call.

“My nephew invited me to Christmas dinner but I couldn’t respond because I couldn’t get on Facebook.

“I’m worried I’m going to get bad feelings from my family because I can’t reply to them. I live on my own and I’m losing contact with everyone.

“I’ve sent them proof of my name and they are still saying it’s unacceptable. They say it should be the name you use in everyday life but that’s what it is.”

Since the wrangle, DJ is reluctant to go through the process of changing his name again, citing the costs and rigmarole of using deed poll and paying for a new driving licence and passport.

An email from Facebook to DJ on Boxing Day morning, it said: “A profile is for personal, non-commercial use and should represent an individual person.

“The name on your profile should be the name that you go by in everyday life. Pages look similar to profiles, but they offer unique tools for businesses, brands, organisations and public figures to share their stories and connect with people.

“Please keep in mind that using a profile to represent anything other than your authentic self goes against Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

“If you’d like to use Facebook to represent a business, brand, organization, idea or public figure, consider creating a Facebook Page.”

Facebook has been contacted for a comment.
    Mabey he should contact Canada Man to have a word with Zuckerberg.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/248721...al-name-is-dj/

I've learned from personal experience that the world and society can't handle odd conditions/illnesses/situations.

Outliers will always be left out in the cold ... suggest he make an account with an acceptable fake name.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds absolutely moronic...yet another reason why social media sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I've learned from personal experience that the world and society can't handle odd conditions/illnesses/situations.

Outliers will always be left out in the cold ... suggest he make an account with an acceptable fake name.
    Perhaps with the first name of FU...

Okay, on one hand DJ is a pretty stupid thing to name yourself and "I’m no good with mobiles and it costs too much for me to make a phone call." sounds like a really bad excuse, on the other hand dick move from Facebook. When provided with proof via driving license they should just accept this as long as his name doesn't directly violate their ToS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of the guy whose name was Phuc Dat Bich

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Perhaps with the first name of FU...
    and ending in CKERBERG.

Reminds me of a dude I knew 30 years ago "Ian Bennets" who got into trouble when he tried to call his computer business "Ian Bennets Microcomputers"

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Okay, on one hand DJ is a pretty stupid thing to name yourself and "I’m no good with mobiles and it costs too much for me to make a phone call." sounds like a really bad excuse, on the other hand dick move from Facebook. When provided with proof via driving license they should just accept this as long as his name doesn't directly violate their ToS.
    Even if DJ wasn't his proper name, the message they sent him says "The name on your profile should be the name that you go by in everyday life."...

I know a ton of people who go by their initials. AJ, TJ, LJ, PJ, JR, JB, RJ, etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Reminds me of the guy whose name was Phuc Dat Bich
    Sum Ting Wong
    Ho Lee Fuk
    We Tulo
    Bang Ding Ow

who remembers those guys...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend who can't go by the name we've all known him as for 25 years because of facebook's name policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Sum Ting Wong
    Ho Lee Fuk
    We Tulo
    Bang Ding Ow

who remembers those guys...
    The names are still the wrong nationality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Dunno what him being disabled has to do with anything besides making it harder to dispute the claim. This shit happens all the time. You send in your info and they'll change it back. Doesn't really need all this "gotcha" to it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    What does being disabled have to do with the topic at hand? If the title was "Man gets Facebook ban because it doesn’t believe his real name is DJ", the content would've been exactly the same.

Is this some way to drag more attention through pity or something? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

Yeah... "BLAME SOCIETY"... the way to dilute the ill behavior of people you don't want talk against at the pool of people that have none to do with the case, but you don't care to blame.

It doesn't account for people who have genuine need to remain 'hidden' either. If, for example, someone flees an abusive relationship but still wants to keep in contact with trusted friends and family with the ease and comfort that social media afford then they may very well choose to go with a fake name.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Yeah... "BLAME SOCIETY"...
    I like to point the finger at the real culprit.

If you prefer the term 'humanity in general' or 'the vast majority of people' to society - then so be it.

But the simple fact is - the lives of individuals do not matter any more. That's just reality, feel free to find reasons for it - but one can't deny it.

Facebook is just a company that sells people - like any company that sells goods, it prefers to keep the faulty ones under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He claims he sent in his info and they're not changing it back.
    Yeah, same thing happened to me. Took me like 3 different occasions before I made any headway. I'm guessing I was dealing with bots on top of bots? ah well, I'm sure the article will sort em out.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty stupid, if he indeed managed to get his info to someone in Facebook, yet they still refused.

But if it's so important to keep contact with people, which it probably is in his situation, why not have an alternate account in the meantime? Also, how much can a phone call really cost?

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand his problem.

All he has to do is create a new account with some fake name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I don't understand his problem.

All he has to do is create a new account with some fake name.
    I mean, you can work with DJ I guess? Maybe Dick Johnson?

7+ Year Old Account
    yeah this article is complete bs, fake name different email, takes a couple mins and done. He's gonna try and sue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I mean, you can work with DJ I guess? Maybe Dick Johnson?
    He could be dee jay