The current state of tanking trinkets...(good ones are gated)

I know I can't possibly be the only one thinking this and if I am well then, ignore this post.

In my opinion the current state of tanking trinkets is kind of abysmal. There's good ones here and there but most of them are really only situationally useful. I know that this is a part of tanking, to swap out trinkets based on the needs of a certain boss encounter.

I've personally resorted to using DPS trinkets for a really long time now and it's not something I advocate but let me give you an example of my reasoning.

The legendary meta gems in TOT, most tanks used the DPS one because it added about 10% damage and the tanking one was quite irrelevant. It wasn't until Blizzard made the tanking one worthwhile that most tanks switched. This is kind of what you always want as a tank, reliability. There's only trinket of the top of my mind that gives you exactly that and could arguably be used for any fight if you so wished and that is of course the DMC trinket.

My personal problem is that the few I am after (as a prot pally main, who have notoriously low HP) are gated. Shivermaw trinket from VH and the Dinner Bell from Karazhan. And why is Memento only obtainable as a DPS even though it arguably has much more defensive value than Horn of Valor/Chrono Shard?

Would love to hear what other tanks have to say!
    Last edited by Hellkung; 2016-12-20 at 10:53 AM.