4 Heal or 5 heal mythic Odyn for a first kill?

Thread title says it all. I'm curious if the fine folks here think Odyn should be 4 healed or 5 healed on a first kill, at current gear levels of course. Reasoning for why would be pretty nice.

You can 4 heal it but I would highly recommend to 5 heal it purely because half the player base is retarded and can't avoid shit
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

Deleted
    I'm not sure about what everyone else thinks, but we 4 heal it at least, not for any specific reasons except that we only had 4 healers available that night so we went with it.

Five - there simply isn't any really thight damage check given a decent comp otherwise and that way you get more leeway for mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Five - there simply isn't any really thight damage check given a decent comp otherwise and that way you get more leeway for mistakes.
    this, we tried 4 healing our healers we're struggling with mana but we phased him at the same number of hyrja+hymdall p2 appearances so until that point in the fight 1 extra dps was doing nothing except putting more strain on our healers and in p3 we simply wiped to healers unable to keep the raid up, if a couple have to drop tornadoes and anything goes wrong you're losing players and boom your 1 extra dps is completely gone it's not worth it imo stick with 5.

Odyn is actually a hard fight to heal. People don't 5 heal because "players are band and stand in shit", but because it's an actual hard fight for healers.

I'd recommend you to go with five healers.

Deleted
    We went with five because there's simply a shitload of unavoidable damage going out, so unless your healers are great they'll probably struggle to last all the way to the end of p3. Having an extra healer in p3 also helped since it meant having more cooldowns and less chance of all healers being away with storms/moving/dead at the same time. Definitely doable with four but I think five will get you a kill sooner.

We did all our progression with 5, and got our kill with 4 when one of our healers was unavailable.

Honestly, once your raiders learn how to avoid damage in P2, the extra dps becomes handy and your healers won't see much of a difference.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    We did all our progression with 5, and got our kill with 4 when one of our healers was unavailable.

Honestly, once your raiders learn how to avoid damage in P2, the extra dps becomes handy and your healers won't see much of a difference.
    Adding fifth healer is a potential 25% hps increase, not including more raid cooldowns for problematic moments. Adding 14th dps is ~7% increase - less if you include tanks and some random healer damage. I'd say you're more likely to notice the former, rather than latter - especially since the vast majority of damage in this fight comes from Shatter (plus multiple P3 abilities which replace it) and is unavoidable.

Well, unless it lets you phase before 2nd Horn in P2, which would be pretty big.

The DPS checks in this fight are extraordinarily easy. If you're going for a progression kill, 5-heal is the obvious choice if a 5th healer is available for your guild.

This will probably change with the nerfs coming up this week, as I imagine Blizzard doesn't want too many fights where 5 heals is optimal due to healer scarcity.
    Last edited by Brokeback; 2016-12-19 at 07:31 AM.

We did 5 healers, because it is much easier and there are no dps checks...
    There is a lot of unavoidable dmg in P2 and P3 (though P3 is short), and it feels a lot different with 5. The heal cd alone makes a huge difference, because you have 2 healers that can randomly use a cd on spear/horn dmg in P2 which saves a lot of mana!

We're 4 healing it but havent killed him yet.

14 DPS instead of 13 is a ~7.7% increase in DPS while 5 healers instead of 4 is a ~25% increase in healing capability

Vast majority of the damage going out is unavoidable (huge roomwide damage from shatter spear, tank autoattacks etc)

Deaths because somebody wasn't topped off and then took some kind of damage are also really common, if you lose a DPS this way because you cut healing then you're running with 13 DPS and 4 healers instead of 13 DPS and 5 healers for the rest of the fight.

If nobody dies, the fight is easy
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2016-12-19 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    14 DPS instead of 13 is a ~7.7% increase in DPS while 5 healers instead of 4 is a ~25% increase in healing capability

Vast majority of the damage going out is unavoidable (huge roomwide damage from shatter spear, tank autoattacks etc)

Deaths because somebody wasn't topped off and then took some kind of damage are also really common, if you lose a DPS this way because you cut healing then you're running with 13 DPS and 4 healers instead of 13 DPS and 5 healers for the rest of the fight.

If nobody dies, the fight is easy
    Completely agreed. Saying most of the damage in this fight is avoidable is complete nonsense. We killed this boss for the first time yesterday. In our kill about 2% of the damage we took was avoidable. Here's a list:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ken&by=ability
    1)Expell light (the 'stunning balls') 0,75% of damage taken
    2) Dancing blade (the swirling blade) 0,7% of damage taken
    3) Friendly fire from horn of valor 0.4% of damage taken
    4) Raging tempest (the tornado in p3) 0,3% of damage taken
    5) Friendly fire from Storm of justice (the P3 debuff that spawns the tornado) 0.1% of damage taken

Apart from these damage sources there is 0 avoidable damage in this fight.

So no, playing well is not going to make any difference when only ~2% of the damage taken is avoidable. You simply want 5 healers for this fight unless you badly outskill the fight. The healing requirement is heavy, and cannot really be relieved much by 'playing well'.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You missed "Glowing Fragment", which are stun balls from spears, "Cleansing Flame", which is from changing platforms too slowly in P3 and couple Spear hits. Still, none of those make for more than 1%, so >95% damage is unavoidable.

Expel light is the circle he puts on people and is unavoidable (by the person that gets it.)
    Glowing fragment is the balls.
    Spear of Light is also the spear impact which is avoidable.

Regardless most of the damage is indeed unavoidable.
    Last edited by zethh; 2016-12-19 at 12:31 PM.

Well hello there Az

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And he shouldn't have counted Expel Light instead so it's a wash

Don't even count it as an extra 25% healing tbh. It's an extra healing cooldown (or more depending on who the healer is). From what I see most raids progressing will just have deaths at some point in p2 because there won't be enough cooldowns to handle simultaneous mechanics. Also these are Mythic healers, so they will contribute dps when they can.
    True, switched a few abilities around Damage numbers are similar tho, all <1%.

Odyn is a great fight imo. Really nothing is impossible or even very hard but it's a long fight that tests your raids ability to remain focussed for ~10min. I'm really glad we killed him before the significant nerfs happen next week (which will help us on Guarm!).