Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Russophobic Sweden rejects money because it's from russia

With Gotland's regional government having rejected the opportunity to lease one of its ports to Russian gas company Nord Stream, the Danish island of Bornholm has registered its interest.
    The opportunity of claiming a piece of the multi-million dollar Nord Stream 2 project, with the local jobs and income it is likely to create, is a tempting one for Rønne, the largest town on the Danish island, reports Swedish news agency TT.

"From a purely competitive viewpoint, we are well aware that our market value and competitiveness have increased because of this [the rejection by Gotland]," Rønne harbour director Thomas Bendtsen told Danish newspaper Berlingske.

The Nord Stream gas pipeline, which actually consists of two different pipelines, connects Vyborg in Russia to the German town of Lubmin through the Baltic Sea. Construction began in 2011 and 2012.

Nord Stream 2, a further two pipelines, will work parallel to the previous lines, according to current plans.

The Swedish armed forces and government have taken a critical view of allowing Nord Stream 2 to use harbours on Gotland, citing "negative consequences for defence politics".

http://www.thelocal.se/20161217/swed...danes-to-table

Seems that we are a step smarter than the Swedes, capitalizing on this and earning money while they just reject it. Seems like they don't want to earn money.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    With Gotland's regional government having rejected the opportunity to lease one of its ports to Russian gas company Nord Stream, the Danish island of Bornholm has registered its interest.
    The opportunity of claiming a piece of the multi-million dollar Nord Stream 2 project, with the local jobs and income it is likely to create, is a tempting one for Rønne, the largest town on the Danish island, reports Swedish news agency TT.

"From a purely competitive viewpoint, we are well aware that our market value and competitiveness have increased because of this [the rejection by Gotland]," Rønne harbour director Thomas Bendtsen told Danish newspaper Berlingske.

The Nord Stream gas pipeline, which actually consists of two different pipelines, connects Vyborg in Russia to the German town of Lubmin through the Baltic Sea. Construction began in 2011 and 2012.

Nord Stream 2, a further two pipelines, will work parallel to the previous lines, according to current plans.

The Swedish armed forces and government have taken a critical view of allowing Nord Stream 2 to use harbours on Gotland, citing "negative consequences for defence politics".

http://www.thelocal.se/20161217/swed...danes-to-table

Seems that we are a step smarter than the Swedes, capitalizing on this and earning money while they just reject it. Seems like they don't want to earn money.

I wouldn't accept money from a country that annex's parts of other countries land either. Screw Russia and anyone who will defend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I wouldn't accept money from a country that annex's parts of other countries land either. Screw Russia and anyone who will defend them.
    But you'll gladly give them money every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you'll gladly give them money every day.
    What money am I giving Russia?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What money am I giving Russia?
    Do you check so that every product you pay for has absolutely no ties to russia?

Good for Sweden.

Deleted
    Seeing as Russia is constantly threatening us with practiced bombings and submarine attacks during our holidays, I ain't surprised. Russia is the biggest warmongerer in the world, we ain't even part of Nato but many Swedes feel like if we don't join Nato we'll have no way to defend ourselves when Russia comes for us. They themselves are driving us into Nato with their actions, at which point they will pretend like Nato once again is threatening them.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Seeing as Russia is constantly threatening us with practiced bombings and submarine attacks during our holidays, I ain't surprised. Russia is the biggest warmongerer in the world, we ain't even part of Nato but many Swedes feel like if we don't join Nato we'll have no way to defend ourselves when Russia comes for us. They themselves are driving us into Nato with their actions, at which point they will pretend like Nato once again is threatening them.
    This. Since Sweden is "neutral", not a member of NATO, it would be an invite to Russia to "defend it's interests" whenever Sweden has to make a choice between EU or RF interests. And since Russia is on a war-path Sweden is trying to maintain neutrality for the near futhure. Smart choice.

Russia is the biggest warmongerer in the world
    I'm not a fan of Russia, but come on.

Do you check so that every product you pay for has absolutely no ties to russia?
    That's a bit stretching it isn't it.

Their is a difference between accepting money as a country and buying gas as a consumer

That's a funny way to spell United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    That's a funny way to spell United States of America.
    Oh get off it. The US is aggressive around the world, but we're not carpet bombing trapped civilian populations or annexing foreign territory.

excellent decision by Sweden, this is the same country Russia that invaded parts of Ukraine and tell me again why we should do business with them? they should be blocked from business until they end there occupation of parts of Ukraine .

Sure i know some folks on Gotland wants the money but sometimes you have to stand up and do the right thing even if it costs you money short term. It is the right thing to do you know

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Oh get off it. The US is aggressive around the world, but we're not carpet bombing trapped civilian populations or annexing foreign territory anymore.
    that said, i agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP you do know it isn't because Sweden is Russophobic? It is a political stance that they denied them working in Gotland.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Sure i know some folks on Gotland wants the money but sometimes you have to stand up and do the right thing even if it costs you money short term. It is the right thing to do you know
    I assume, then, that there's similar boycotts/movements against taking money or importing products from the various Middle Eastern countries that literally execute people for being gay?

in ww 2, denmark was run over in like 4 days. sweden lastet untouched the whole war.

And the politics that made this post from the daneman happen was the difference.

Happily accepting every shit deal for a little money, while allowing spies, agents and giving a enemy power every fucking reason to "protect their interest" , ended in cheap danish bike soldiers vs tanks.

Swedens wise politics kept the the country souvereign and uninvaded for the whole war.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    in ww 2, denmark was run over in like 4 days. sweden lastet untouched the whole war.
    And looking totally Aryan had no play in that?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I assume, then, that there's similar boycotts/movements against taking money or importing products from the various Middle Eastern countries that literally execute people for being gay?
    Correct.

Not in the exact same way, but it happens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And looking totally Aryan had no play in that?
    What do you think danish people look like?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.