Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Scotland Threatens to Leave U.K. If Forced Out of Single Market

Looks like everyone is starting to draw lines in the sand, stating what their positions are. Maybe this will sway Germany and France to keep Britain in a single market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-single-market

Scotland will hold a new referendum on separation from the U.K. unless it can stay in the European Union single market, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will warn this week, adding to the pressure on Theresa May as the U.K. premier draws up plans for Brexit.
    Follow @Brexit for the latest news, and sign up to our Brexit Bulletin for a daily roundup.
    Sturgeon will detail proposals for a new arrangement with the U.K. to enable her country to remain inside the single market after Brexit, even if the government in London pulls England, Wales and Northern Ireland out. Voters in Scotland chose to stay in the EU in June’s referendum and now face being pulled out against their wishes by votes cast in England, she said in a commentary published in Monday’s Financial Times.
    “It remains my view, and that of the government I lead, that the best option for Scotland remains full membership of the EU as an independent member state,” Sturgeon said. “Independence must remain an option for safeguarding our European status, if it becomes clear that our interests cannot be protected in any other way.”
    The ultimatum from Edinburgh on single-market membership will intensify the strain on May, who’s already battling to contain tensions within her Conservative Party. On Sunday, Trade Secretary Liam Fox hinted that he was keen for a clean break from the EU, while former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne warned that the U.K. should keep the closest possible ties to the bloc.
    May has promised to listen to the governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland before taking an agreed U.K.-wide negotiating position to Brussels for formal talks, due to begin by the end of March.
    Sturgeon said she wants the U.K. as a whole to remain inside the single market, with tariff-free trade and freedom for banks to provide services across the bloc. “If the U.K. government opts not to remain in the single market, our position is that Scotland should still be supported to do so -- not instead of, but in addition to, free trade across the U.K.” she said.
    A policy paper will outline how such a radical step could be achieved, including which powers would need to be devolved from London to Edinburgh, she said, warning that 80,000 jobs would be lost if Scotland left the single market. Such a solution will require “political goodwill and an openness to new ways of doing things,” Sturgeon said.

The most important business stories of the day.
    Get Bloomberg's daily newsletter.

May’s office insisted*on Monday that the premier will work to get a good deal for Scotland from the negotiations. “We are committed as we leave the EU to getting a deal that works for the U.K. as a whole and that means a deal that works for Scotland as well, a deal that allows British firms maximum access to operate with the single market,” May’s spokesman, Greg Swift, told reporters in London. “The U.K. as a whole will leave the EU,” he added.

‘Limit’ Options
    On Sunday, Fox warned that if the U.K. sought to remain part of the customs union -- the EU’s tariff-sharing trade bloc -- it would “limit” the country’s options for new trade deals. He told the BBC’s “Andrew Marr Show” that Turkey could provide a hybrid model for partial membership of the customs union, adding that the U.K.’s future relations to the group didn’t have to be “binary.”
    In an interview on the same show, Osborne warned against ending tariff-free trade with Germany and France after Brexit. He said leaving the single market and the customs union would be the biggest act of protectionism in British history.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    "I didn't like the outcome of what my people voted for, so we need to do it again, waaaaaaaah!!"

If they have a second referendum, they have no respect for their own democratic system.
    #boycottchina

They should leave. Maybe then become the new Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because when they voted to stay in the UK they thought they would stay in the EU as well, seems fair to me.
    Basically this. Can't really blame them for wanting another go seeing as the layout of the board has changed dramatically

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    "I didn't like the outcome of what my people voted for, so we need to do it again, waaaaaaaah!!"

If they have a second referendum, they have no respect for their own democratic system.
    Staying in the EU was the carrot the UK used to convince Scotland to stay in the UK.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wee Jimmy Krankie needs to shut the fuck up. The SNP are just trying to fuck up as much as they can before we vote them out. The SNP's legacy isn't fighting for a free Scotland, it's dividing the Scottish people by their insistent talk about joining EU when we (Scotland) wouldn't meet the basic requirements to join.

Hopefully another nation will get their freedom from tyrannical British subjugation.

Did you miss the article? The people of Scotland voted to remain in the EU. A large part of the campaign to keep Scotland in the UK last referendum was based on potential problems joining the EU. With the UK leaving the EU and probably the single-market it creates a massive change in the situation that would warrant a fresh referendum on Scotland being part of the UK.

Deleted
    It's time Britain laid in the bed it made for itself. You can't say the cake is disgusting then ask for more. They get away with this kind of shit far too often because they want special treatment.
    You wanted out, now you leave. You don't get any deals. You don't get to cherrypick. You don't get special treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Did you miss the article? The people of Scotland voted to remain in the EU. A large part of the campaign to keep Scotland in the UK last referendum was based on potential problems joining the EU. With the UK leaving the EU and probably the single-market it creates a massive change in the situation that would warrant a fresh referendum on Scotland being part of the UK.
    But does Scotland even qualify to get into the EU on its own? If they don't then this is hillarious irrelevant.

I insist they refer to this as "Scotch Eggsit" :P

Irony is, the Scots had a referendum on semi-independence (an independent Scottish Assembly) in 1979, which won by 52% (recognise that percentage?). But it wasn't put into action because they required that a yes vote represent at least 40% of the electorate, and due to 64% turnout it didn't.

What was Brexit voter turnout, 72%? So the Brexit vote was 37% of the electorate, it would've failed too if they'd put such a provision in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Hopefully another nation will get their freedom from tyrannical British subjugation.
    Those crazy Scots are subjugating themselves!

What do you mean, "my people"?

The Scots overwhelmingly voted against Brexit. They were overruled by England.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Those crazy Scots are subjugating themselves!
    So who gets the Royal family in the divorce? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    But does Scotland even qualify to get into the EU on its own? If they don't then this is hillarious irrelevant.
    It's a country. It's in Europe (as much as Britain ever was). Why wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because when they voted to stay in the UK they thought they would stay in the EU as well, seems fair to me.
    I suppose so. But can't argue against how it worked out. Scotland voted to stay not knowing the outcome of the eu referendum, Scotland stayed, eu referendum happened, UK left. Now Scotland didn't get what it wanted, despite it not being up to any promises made by the English parliament by to Scotland, it came down to the public vote.

Anyone ever think that maybe the British public wasn't trying to screw over Scotland with this? They just wanted out of the eu, and yet now it has, Scottish voters believe Britain owes them?

Regardless, if the only reason Scottish voted choose to remain because they were convinced the UK would remain in the eu, then they didn't take chance into account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It's time Britain laid in the bed it made for itself. You can't say the cake is disgusting then ask for more. They get away with this kind of shit far too often because they want special treatment.
    You wanted out, now you leave. You don't get any deals. You don't get to cherrypick. You don't get special treatment.
    And yet that's exactly what Scotland's doing itself.

This is as obnoxious as the whiners on social media screaming "TRUMPS NOT MY PRESIDENT, I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM!", sorry, he is now and you better suck it up.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2016-12-20 at 10:56 AM.
    #boycottchina

Hell, its about time.

Deleted
    UK also doesn't want to get out. Nothing here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain isn't going to leave the EEA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Scotland can fuck off then. They're going to leave eventually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Looks like everyone is starting to draw lines in the sand, stating what their positions are. Maybe this will sway Germany and France to keep Britain in a single market.
    It won't. Why would Germany give a fuck if Scotland secedes from Britain? If anything, this gives us more leverage and ammo to drive a harder bargain. And we'd welcome Scotland with open arms, too. I think Germany and France will actually cheer for Scottish independence. English are really the only ones in Europe that have a problem dealing with Scotland and it's secession antics.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    If Britain gets access to the European single market wtf was the point in them being in the EU anyway? Other countries can see this sort of behaviour and think they can get away from the union buy with all the perks intact and try to follow suit. Unless there are any repercussions I think other countries might try the same shit in some years
    Don't think Britain will be allowed to remain in the EEA because it does not accept the free movement of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    It won't. Why would Germany give a fuck if Scotland secedes from Britain? If anything, this gives us more leverage and ammo to drive a harder bargain. And we'd welcome Scotland with open arms, too. I think Germany and France will actually cheer for Scottish independence. English are really the only ones in Europe that have a problem dealing with Scotland and it's secession antics.
    Spain would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU, because they don't want to give more momentum to the Catalan independence movement.