The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

top case fan question

im not sure which side is supposed to be facing up or down. only one side has a sticker on it so i put that one facing up lol. probably a dumb question but i just want to be sure.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-14...?skuId=1261004

thats the fan. was only one available to me quickly

10+ Year Old Account
    The question is more whether you are wanting the fan to intake air - bring air into the case or exhaust air - expel air from the case.

The general rule is to attempt to have slightly more intake than exhaust. Barring uses of radiators, the fans on the front of a case are typically used to intake while the fans on the top and / back are used to exhaust. If you only have one fan, use it as intake.

I've seen stickers on both sides and as I'm not familiar with your particular fan I can't answer that particular question. I can tell you that it will not hurt your fan what so ever to plug it in and see which way it blows. Just be careful not to touch the blades.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Computer fans always have their exhaust towards the side that has the plastic "arms" going towards the centre.

In other words, the picture in that link shows the intake side of the fan, the exhaust is towards the back.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    The question is more whether you are wanting the fan to intake air - bring air into the case or exhaust air - expel air from the case.

The general rule is to attempt to have slightly more intake than exhaust. Barring uses of radiators, the fans on the front of a case are typically used to intake while the fans on the top and / back are used to exhaust. If you only have one fan, use it as intake.

I've seen stickers on both sides and as I'm not familiar with your particular fan I can't answer that particular question. I can tell you that it will not hurt your fan what so ever to plug it in and see which way it blows. Just be careful not to touch the blades.
    As the poster below you stated, the 'grille' or supportive side that attaches to the frame and motor is always the exhaust side or the way it blows.

Why would it matter if you touch the blades? You shouldn't spin them a lot while attached in case of potential damage to what it's plugged in to, even if that is rare; but touching them or spinning them in general won't hurt them, and though it may not be healthy for the motor if done a lot or long term, touching them while spinning powered isn't going to hurt you or the fan either if it's just to check which way it's spinning or for shits and giggles. I mean I've done it before on accident and on purpose, no issues; you even see reviewers doing it, whether it is to show how easily they spin, because they were fixing/troubleshooting a blocked fan, or because they were bored.

Positive case pressure is good because it will help reduce dust accumulation especially in filtered intake setups; negative pressure willl pulll air in through cracks, crevices, and open vents which can bring dust in to the case, on your components, and build up the cracks and corners; positive pressure with push air out of these same spaces, also leading to more heat dissipation.

Assuming you have a front fan and rear fan, have it blow in; just a front fan, blow out, two front and a rear, low out, etc
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    Why would it matter if you touch the blades? . . . .
    the actual fins, or just the middle bit? i was bored one day playing with a fan touching the fins and it threw one at me.

anyway, even the most cheapo 99p fans i've had have had the little arrow on one of the sides indicating which way it blows, check the sides!

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    the actual fins, or just the middle bit? i was bored one day playing with a fan touching the fins and it threw one at me.
    I've put my fingers in fans and then I've put my fingers in PanaFlos. Still have the scars to this day and that was only from the low model.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.