Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Making destruction warlock fun again

Dear blizzard I know you're out there reading and I hope this post reaches out to you,

In your last stream you quoted a question on your stream regarding warlock not being fun anymore.

It saddens me to say I'm just not having the fun I used to have playing the game because of how the class in general feels. The changes below would be a fantastic way to redeem and mend destruction warlock. Destruction doesn't feel immersive or complete anymore and needs some of it's flavor back.

Please give us warlocks some fun back in our toolkit. This is my Christmas wish to you blizzard.

Talents
    -Shadowfury (cast time removed)
    -Blood horror
    -Kil'jaeden's Cunning
    -Allow focused chaos to be havoc'd if not talented into wreak havoc

Spells
    -Dark soul (Warlocks need a major damage cooldown, Doomguard or infernal doesn't suffice and doesn't feel "destructive enough")
    -Original shadowburn baseline (Desperately need an execute back especially considering burning embers are going to be returning)
    -Demonic circle baseline (Even though we're tanky a core part of our class should have never been a talent. Tanky shouldn't mean no mobility)
    -Ember tap baseline
    -Flames of Xoroth baseline
    -Soulshatter baseline
    -Fire and brimstone baseline (with toggle)

Passives
    -Backlash (Gives you a 25% chance when hit by a physical attack to reduce the cast time of your next Incinerate spell by 100%.This effect lasts 8 sec and will not occur more than once every 8 seconds.)
    -Soul harvest (You and your demon absorb nearby wandering souls, regenerating 2% health every second while out of combat and not in an arena.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Also increase Chaos Bolt damage by 500% and everyone who touches you dies.

I mean, if you want to make things OP as fuck, why stop there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

What's "OP as fuck" about anything above?

It's all stuff we've had in our toolkit from the past..

I realise that his ideas would be op but you know that hyperbole you always complain about maaaybe you shouldnt engage in similar activities yourself?

Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleriol View Post
    I realise that his ideas would be op but you know that hyperbole you always complain about maaaybe you shouldnt engage in similar activities yourself?

Just a thought.
    I set bold out the important part for you. There is no hyperbole there, these "fun" adjustments are basically asking for a godmode on top of what we already have.

I set bold out the important part for you. There is no hyperbole there, these "fun" adjustments are basically asking for a godmode on top of what we already have.
    Right, I'm not asking for everything back.

If stuff like this was brought back it would need to be changed. For example the following

Talents

-Blood horror (To replace demonic circle in CC talent row)
    -Kil'jaeden's Cunning (To replace fire and brimstone in lvl 60 tree)
    -Focused chaos havoc idea. Not a big one for me, Just throwing out some ideas
    -Soul harvest removed and replaced with something to compensate for the reintroduction of dark soul instability

Spells

Summon doomguard/Infernal cooldown increased to 10 minutes to compensate for the addition of dark soul instability
    Fire and brimstone baseline (With toggle, Consumes soulshards when using incinerate as it used to)

Artifact weapon

-Lord of flames redesigned to now give 2 charges of dark soul instability

Nothing else really needs to be explained, Common sense would have suggested there would need to have been some tweaks made just never went into detail about it. That part is for blizzard to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by cristos View Post
    It's all stuff we've had in our toolkit from the past..
    Thing is everyone's toolkit has been gutted, you can't revert us to mop design and expect us not to become broken compared to the other classes being far more limited by legions design.

This would be more realistic:

-Original shadowburn baseline (wod version where its only worth casting to snipe shards) [/u]
    -Fire and brimstone baseline (toggle, to go with the return of embers)
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2016-12-25 at 07:24 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    It is quite a lot.

I would be shocked to see even one thing being added to Destruction Warlocks with LEGION.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Thing is everyone's toolkit has been gutted, you can't revert us to mop design and expect us not to become broken compared to the other classes being far more limited by legions design.

I absolutely agree, Hence my reiteration of the changes. At the end of the day though it's not my job to redesign these talents to make them work. All I can do is throw out some suggestions and hopefully some of this information is passed along.

It's threads like this that highlight for me why game design is a profession with skill involved, not something any amateur can do. Too often when a class is mechanically unsatisfying to play the only solution some people can imagine is MOAR POWAH. As if being OP will make a class fun to play no matter how mechanically clumsy it is, solve all your relationship issues, and clear up your acne.

No. Just, no. There's a couple decent ideas in there, like instant cast Shadowfury, but most of them are just terrible.

Deleted
    The return of dark soul and either old shadowburn or a nerfed(baseline) version of FnB would be enough to make me main my lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    It's threads like this that highlight for me why game design is a profession with skill involved, not something any amateur can do. Too often when a class is mechanically unsatisfying to play the only solution some people can imagine is MOAR POWAH. As if being OP will make a class fun to play no matter how mechanically clumsy it is, solve all your relationship issues, and clear up your acne.

No. Just, no. There's a couple decent ideas in there, like instant cast Shadowfury, but most of them are just terrible.
    What ideas though, They're all spells, talents and passives we used to have. These things above are nothing I'm spontaneously thinking of they're all real suggestions for implementing things we used to have. Please refer to the #6 comment on this thread for a clarification of my original post. It's just a rough example of balancing things.

You did mention game design isn't something an amateur can do which solidify's my post even more. I didn't suggest any balancing fixes if anything were to be reintroduced because that's blizzards job but I did because I felt as though I had to explain myself after the first few comments.

It would be absurd to have everything back.

What is terrible above, Keeping in mind the 6th comment on this thread. Read carefully I did mention it is blizzards job to think of fixes and balances for things.

Destro wouldn't be mechanically clumsy if all of these were added back in within reason and re balancing. Everything above is a textbook example of destruction in MoP which was the best iteration of destruction so far. Claimed by countless members on every forum I browse including my own personal experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SansSense View Post
    The return of dark soul and either old shadowburn or a nerfed(baseline) version of FnB would be enough to make me main my lock.
    I think how fnb used to function was perfect. You could toggle it so it would consume burning embers upon casting incinerate. Seemed pretty balanced to me at the expense of soulshards/embers.
    Last edited by cristos; 2016-12-25 at 07:50 PM.

I absolutely agree, Hence my reiteration of the changes. At the end of the day though it's not my job to redesign these talents to make them work. All I can do is throw out some suggestions and hopefully some of this information is passed along.
    Personally I think realistic feedback is more useful than unrealistic feedback. That's just me tho.

Though this forum is not where you make your posts if you want there to really be any hope of blizzard reading it, it's just for discussing ideas for ourselves.

Personally I think realistic feedback is more useful than unrealistic feedback. That's just me tho.

Though this forum is not where you make your posts if you want there to really be any hope of blizzard reading it, it's just for discussing ideas for ourselves.
    Everything is up on the ptr and warlock forums on battle.net. Just trying as many resources as possible to relay information back to blizzard, Funnily enough they do read these forums despite what some may think.

Everything is up on the ptr and warlock forums on battle.net. Just trying as many resources as possible to relay information back to blizzard, Funnily enough they do read these forums despite what some may think.
    Oh I'm sure, but I doubt nearly as thoroughly or frequently as the official PTR forums.

Originally Posted by cristos
    -Original shadowburn baseline (wod version where its only worth casting to snipe shards) [/u]
    -Fire and brimstone baseline (toggle, to go with the return of embers)
    It'd take things like this plus incremental Soul Shards, in combat mana regen, a 1 sec GCD, and maybe a crit damage boost based Mastery for me to even consider taking a serious look at my Destro lock again. I want all the basic MoP mechanics framework back, minus the overpowered elements, refined for Legion design philosophy.
    "Warlocks are the class that gives

we give all our spells and abilities to other classes"

- Bamboozer, from the Official WoW Warlock Forum

And thats not the point i was trying to make at all.

Your posting here constantly championing constructive feedback and no more hyperbole and yet you go into a a post you disagree with, with overexaggeration and it practicly dripping with "your a fucking idiot".

You want to solve the problem with over dramatic reactions and nonsensical posts? Then dont be part of the problem. What you should hvae posted is a X, y and z why his ideas would be op.

"your a fucking idiot".
    You're a fucking idiot, big difference.

Sorry my grammar Nazi senses tingled.

Deleted
    Omg chill bois

10+ Year Old Account
    What you should hvae posted is a X, y and z why his ideas would be op.
    I don't see why I should be explaining that water is wet, 2+2 is 4 or OP stuff is OP.

I think a good grip on reality could be useful when one submits actual feedback.

It is obvious that some things there are fine, but KJC or cleaving Focused Chaos Bolt? Don't think so.