Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Would you have more fun if there was less RNG?

Legitimate question. It seems all I see on the official forums and these forums is whine about the supposed "RNG" of the game. So, with that being said, do you think you would have more fun if there was less or no RNG?

- No Legendaries
    - No Warforged / Titanforged
    - No Tierery Stats on Gear
    - No Gear drops, just points from killing dungeon / raid bosses that you can spend on gear
    - No random or cool events, just everything planned, requiring only time

In my opinion, if there were no RNG to the game, it wouldn't be a fun game. There would be no element of surprise, just a calculated rail system that only depends on time played.

Honestly Jay. Yeah I would. Warforged and Thunderforged were fine imo because it was a slight increase. Tertiary stats like speed and avoidance piss me off the most. However random events are alright as long as it's side content. My issues is RNG is tied to the main game which was one of the minor reasons I stopped playing.

No I wouldn't.

Someone once said that if you knew everything that was going to happen in your life, your life would not be worth living.

Speaking from experience here - I know what my future holds, and it certainly takes away any value of life.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    I wouldn't even play if it were so, already got my mythic bis gear, so why would i keep going on farm raids?

yes i would.. or bring back badges and vendors.. plz
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

You take away the ridiculous RNG of Legion and you're left with one of the most universally despised expansions of all time: WoD. I personally enjoyed WoD for exactly this reason but realize that swinging the RNG pendulum in the opposite direction of where it is currently may not be the best solution.

While I'm positive the RNG situation is better, I'm going to suggest people who complain about RNG are actually complaining about three issues that exist due it RNG.

#1, difficulty maintaining self-relevance in the fact of other players who were more favored,

and #2, pits of failure which are very real and even the developers admitted they attempted to create a luck-improviing system to stop them but they still very much exist,

and #3, the fact that all pits of failure, legitimate or otherwise, are completely shrugged off as RNG being the shield for that shrugging, leaving many players angry over the fact that they are literally stalled from progress by something that's not fair in the eyes of 99% of reasonable people but they aren't allowed any form of grievance or reparations or even validation of their painful situation because of that shield, so it acts more of a festering

IM LOOKING AT YOU NOMI YOU SHITHEAD IM PRETTY SURE EVERYONE WHO SAYS THEY GOT RANK 3 BACON/FEAST FROM YOU IS A FUCKING LIAR

EDIT: Oh yah, not even a remotely reliable guide, like "Oh btw, if you gave him 250 bacon you'd get that." That would be a relief, but they can't provide such for reason I also understand but at this point they should understand our anger, yah?

No, I just wish they'd add a system like in WotLK where you get tokens for every boss kill, so even if I never get the item I wanted after 200 times, I'll have the currency to buy at least one fucking item I want.

Seriously the fucking god damn stupidest thing they got rid of.

less to a certain extent. i hate tf/wf, world drop legendaries, and tertiary stats - just sockets really. idc about the rest, though, avoidance is nice.

to me, those things made the game stop being quite so fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think there is a happy medium to be found. In my opinion the pendulum hasn't swung to far the other way since WoD, but I can see how folks would feel that way. Perhaps make a few more things just a bit more predictable, but locked behind difficult questlines/achievements and throttle back on the size of upgraded gear (maybe just a simple +5 lvl warforge and +10 lvlv Titanforge) would have eased the concerns of many.

Also, if they had made all of the Legendaries into "situational" legendaries instead of making some of them pure DPS/healing/tanking boosts would have made that whole situation better as well IMHO.

Of course no matter what they do, some people are going to complain. You could get some people watching their favorite team winning a championship; while eating their favorite meal, and getting "favors" from their dream-person and they would complain that the TV wasn't in 4K definition.

Edited to add: FUCK YOU NOMI!!!! YOU FOOD DESTROYING SONUVABITCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Legitimate question. It seems all I see on the official forums and these forums is whine about the supposed "RNG" of the game. So, with that being said, do you think you would have more fun if there was less or no RNG?

- No Legendaries
    - No Warforged / Titanforged
    - No Tierery Stats on Gear
    - No Gear drops, just points from killing dungeon / raid bosses that you can spend on gear
    - No random or cool events, just everything planned, requiring only time

In my opinion, if there were no RNG to the game, it wouldn't be a fun game. There would be no element of surprise, just a calculated rail system that only depends on time played.
    To give you your answer, no that would not neccessarily give me more fun.

I've never understood why all people -must- be able to achieve everything and anything. Theres a reason why carrot on a stick is such a good known term

But you're also taking it to the extreme.
    - No legendaries - I'd prefer legendaries as they were in vanilla, tbv, wotlk, cata. Rare drops, just a few per server, hard to obtain.

- No wf/tf - I'd prefer if it was like back when they were introduced. You felt very lucky, powerful and good by wearing 4-5 wf items by the end. Nowadays gear is thrown at you so easily that not only care if your item drops, not only does it have to warforge, but titanforge before you want to wear it. Its RNGception.

-No Tierery stats on gear - I don't mind this one bit, whether it stayed or not

- No gear drops - To put it short, I'd prefer if there wasnt these "gear resets" and extreme ilvl inflations and extreme farmable diablo-style content. Doing the best you can achieve in the allround considered hardest content to obtain the most powerful gear. Ie 20m+ raids.

-No random or cool events - Im not sure what you mean by this, timewalking n stuff? I love that.

Only thing I'd like to see gone is this stupid legendary system. From raider point of view it's killing the fun for me (not the only thing obv but one of the biggest reasons).

Deleted
    id rather have controlled rng, ie being able to break down war/titan-forged, socketed, and tertiary stats gear in the obliterum forge for special materials, which can in combination with obliterum be used to apply their effects to other equipment,

gear drops im fine with as with the above idea no matter how bad of a roll youd get to start with you could always get it to that optimum shape with time

and i have no problems with the legendary system, the more you play the more you get, though i do think they should probably ease up on the massive increases beyond the 4th one, id say the time between 3rd and 4th should be about the cap in time delay between drops, end of the line it doesnt matter if you have 2 bis legendaries, or all 8 of them, because you can only ever use 2 anyway so theres no point in massively increasing the delay between each drop beyond a certain point.

as for points on each dungeon... it wasnt a bad system, but it wasnt great, as depending on stat weights sometimes the point gear was either much better than what could drop, or far worse, which isnt what you want, ideally it should be middle of the line regardless of stat weights (so youd have a piece with all 4 secondary stats at iklevel scaled values rather than one or 2) so itd fill the margin of youve been unlucky enough to not get a decent drop, heres something that could be useful.

the current system though id just a diablo mechanic, for a best in slot the current criteria must be met

first you have to get it to drop, which in some cases is hard enough as is , think withered jim's trinket, 20% chance for an item (give or take) 20% chance to get the right item (screw his loot table) so a 4% droprate
    then it has to forge up high enough (lets say again 20% for every 5 item levels, in intervals) as 895 is the current max (i think) that would be 7 upgrades, at 30% chance(generous) for each one starting at 4% drop would be a 0.00087% chance
    throw in a socket at 20% chance.. now were down to 0.00017%
    then comes the tertiary stat, lets say 5% chance to get the right one (speed, leach, avoidance, indestructible(it can spawn on jewelry for some daft reason) which round off would yield a 0.00001% chance of getting a best in slot..
    one in 10 million

I will say that back before all these systems, I was more excited to get a new piece of gear because it would be a big upgrade. These days, you get so many incremental upgrades that you never get excited over a single piece of gear, legendaries and trinkets aside. I much prefer the MoP system of reforging, socketing, enchanting, and valor upgrading. You invest time and money into a single piece of gear instead of gear being disposable because you're probably gonna get a small upgrade soon.

If we could go back to the "RNG" that was WoW in Mists & older, then yes, I would of had 10x more fun and would not of quit the game because of RNG.

Why do you think SO MANY PEOPLE quit Black Desert? Because of the RNG bullshit, and that was BEFORE the game went pay to win.

15+ Year Old Account
    RNG is not all or nothing. It needs a bit less in some places, but not none.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

So goddamn sick of RNG now. It sucks all the fun out of the game.

Lets do some BG's so I can progress towards some new gear, instead you get fucken loot boxes that may or may not contain anything, it's annoying as hell.

I've been back for 6 days since quitting in September, I've gotten two legendaries since last Tuesday, how the fuck is that fun? It's garbage and NOT fun at all.

I like the idea of progressing towards something, not just the chance of something with repetitive grinding of boring World quests.

Also, fuck ARtifact power

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, I like looking forward to getting something cool. static base levels were boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I much more prefer and enjoy consistency. WotLK badges in that sense were cool IMO.

Honestly the only bad kind of RNG tbh is stuff like legendaries and warforged/titanforged. Those things are honestly horrible RNG designs. Essentially the kind of RNG you can't farm properly and consistently is bad if that makes any sense at all.

My preferred form of gear progression would be: RNG drops from dungeons/raids + badges/tokens you can buy gear with from killing dungeon/raid bosses + badges/tokens from completing dungeon/raid bosses.

7+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I was just having this convo with one of my guildies this morning, a monk tank got an 885 neck with leech from LFR. ( It didn't bother me I was just shocked.)
    He went on to explain that it can be 40-55 Item lvls higher than the current tier..
    What the actual fuck?
    I preferred the TBC model, or even wrath when I stacked up DKP for dual Solices. I could choose an objective and get BIS.

If I still Hardcore progression raided, or even bothered to raid regularly it would piss me off immensely.

I don't care for the legendary thing either. as a retired/casual... great I got the neck and today sephuz as a holy priest. cool. but if I were really raiding, ( I have been contemplating returning) but with no belt and kinda a gimped class and AP spec ( holy) I really can't compete at the level my guild is at.

The whole thing kinda sucks the real fun out. sure it's like finding a silver dollar on the ground, but it doesn't compare to earning a $1000 paycheck.
    Last edited by Dsc; 2016-12-27 at 05:29 AM.