Poll: Randomly Generated Gear?

10+ Year Old Account

Procedurally Generated Gear: Would you like it?

Just a fun little poll. Would you like to see Borderlands-style procedurally generated gear (within reasonable limits so that it is always somewhat useful.) It would come with a LOT of opportunities to earn it, so the more you farm the more you are likely to get something good. Maybe even a reason to run a raid a second time, even though all the good loot is gone the random generation might brew up an awesome epic. Everything from the names to the model would be random, maybe even special effects only seen rarely before. What about a rogue dagger with a recolored model of an old vanilla weapon that spawns a tentacle like Gurthalak? Or a mace for a priest that can open a portal to Kharazan like Atiesh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, RNG within the chain of RNG to generate more RNG?

Though, the theory is almost like WF/TF, you go in hopes of maybe getting better than what you have. Though, unsure if as much RNG as to mix around the types of spells and functions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah! More rng! That's EXACTLY what the game need now.

No thank! Too much RNG in this game as it is!

If I wanted to play a shit game like Borderlands, I'd play Borderlands. Fun fact: I don't play Borderlands.

No, Diablo style loot might make this game fun and repeatable. We need everything to be as predictable as possible so we can get full theorycrafted geared with as little gameplay as possible. In fact they need to remove anything that might incentivize me to log on outside of raid time at all, because I'm a soulless unpleasable MMOC poster and I hate the game.

Any more RNG would legitimately kill the game, and it's already killing it's playerbase with how RNG it is already.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrebulous View Post
    No, Diablo style loot might make this game fun and repeatable. We need everything to be as predictable as possible so we can get full theorycrafted geared with as little gameplay as possible. In fact they need to remove anything that might incentivize me to log on outside of raid time at all, because I'm a soulless unpleasable MMOC poster and I hate the game.
    *says the person on MMO-Champion likely hiding under a new account

More rng, just what we need guys!

Borderlands gear system is frankly speaking, not awesome. While there are an insane amount of combinations in a loot system sporting generated loot, those combinations does not really mean anything unless each offer some actual difference. And almost all those random stats you get on weapons - they really really do not matter one bit.

Case in point, the game boasts a quadrillion different guns, it's got like 8-10 actual different guns per archetype when you get down to it. How each gun handles is different, and this is the only thing that really changes how you play the game. If you go to a wiki site and ask about Borderlands combat rifles, you're not gonna get a quadrillion entries. You'll find 9 entries (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Rifle). Because that's the only thing that really matters.

And non-weapon gear is even worse. Who bloody cares if your belt buckle has +0.1% reload speed, or +0.1% crit? Do you really really want to spend time on even considering that trolley problem? All the Borderlands gear system accomplish is forcing you to pause every time a gear drop - which it does a lot - and question whether you want to equip it or not. Most of the time, the answer is "who cares".

--

That said, WoW already has random loot here and there. Crafted items for example, have this design. You can tailor a cloak today, and it's completely random whether it has haste, mastery, crit or versatility on it (pick two, ratios may differ). And while it is quite okay to get to pick and choose like this, the design space for variation is still stupidly low. If all items in the game followed this design, you would still would not really see much difference in what drops from bosses. Just which boss it drops from.

So here's a question. Assume every raid boss in Legion had the same loot table, and that loot table contained every item in legion, just scaled to whatever ilvl the boss is supposed to drop. A new raid tier didn't add to the loot table, it just increased the ilvl of items dropped. Would the game really be better for it?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

No. The world and dungeons + raids are not designed for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would like to point out that this wouldn't be the primary way of getting gear. Everything else would be the same, tier sets and dungeon loot and profession gear and all that, but every mob and every chest has a chance to have some random gear. Everything from a shitty green cloth belt with agility to an epic mace that has a chance to launch a volley of arcane missiles that heal random targets when your heals crit. With random appearances.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, please no!!!
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...