Thread: Ninja-pulling.

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Ninja-pulling.

Hello there!

I was wondering how you guys feel about ninja-pulling?
    I'd like some viewpoints from both sides, meaning DPS and my fellow tanks.

Personally I get frustrated whenever someone pulls before I'm ready to engage. Sometimes they pull larger packs than I know I can handle, get themselves killed and blames me for it.

How do you deal with it?

Best regards,

iAardvark

By being reasonable with myself and others. Aka adjusting my pulling to the ability of the group. Simple as that. Don't be the douchebag tank who pulls 1 mob when the DPS are 400k+. Don't be the douchebag DPS who's pulling mobs when the tank is dying or the healer is going OOM. Don't be the douchebag healer complaining about the group's fast pulling when your heals don't matter to the 890 tank.

If this keeps happening over and over again its probably because you are always going too slow and your DPS is tired of small pulls so they pull more. Usually if thres a recurring theme you should look at yourself rather then blame others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just depends really. If it's some moron dps who's getting himself killed because he pulled a mile ahead of me and expected me to close the gap and pick it up? Fuck em.

If they pull and safely kite it to me to pick up then it's no harm no foul. I also don't mind being told to hurry it up so long as it's polite because my starting speed is always slow and steady until I get the groove of the group.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you pull it you tank it. If DPS wants to pull stuff let them get punched in the face until they die, I recon that is the only way they'll learn.

you pull it you tank it, that simple...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by iAardvark View Post
    Hello there!

Personally I get frustrated whenever someone pulls before I'm ready to engage. Sometimes they pull larger packs than I know I can handle, get themselves killed and blames me for it.

How do you deal with it?

Best regards,

iAardvark
    if dps are pulling before you in dungeons it means you fail as tank as you go to slow and should speed up.

unless you are new to tanking state it at beginign of dungeon then nobody will pull simple as that.

do yourself a favour and in case of legion if you see in random hc people with +/- 1,7kk health go slow duh if you see 3 x dps with 2,5kk+ pull like crazy because they can aoe it down in few seconds by pulling slow and small packs you are lowering their dps significantly usually which means you fail as tank.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-12-27 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iAardvark View Post
    Hello there!

How do you deal with it?

Best regards,

iAardvark
    Okay.

As tank, if you Ninja pull, I let you die.
    As healer, if you Ninja pull, I let you die.
    As DPS, I don't ninja pull.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Don't even care as long as we don't wipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    if dps are pulling before you in dungeons it means you fail as tank as you go to slow and should speed up.

unless you are new to tanking state it at beginign of dungeon then nobody will pull simple as that.
    I call BULLSHIT on that. Even if you are a fast tank, someone will suddenly scream and run around, or suddenly more packs than actually needed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Don't even care as long as we don't wipe.
    This honestly. As a tank I usually chain pull if it's high DPS. If it's low DPS when I'll usually go slower. As a Rogue main I usually tricks stuff to the tank if we're not going fast enough but as any other DPS I'd usually just wait.

As a tank I hate ninja pulls. I typically move at a pretty brisk pace so its less people pulling things to move faster and more people pulling because they auto walk into every trash mob in nelths lair.

Occasionally people will try to pull to move faster but its usually not an increase in speed. Something like pulling more on the MoS boat and they just fear/heal spam forever or the annoying pats in the middle of HoV.

If DPS is pulling, it is because they feel you are going too slow as a tank. Either that, or it was accidental (welcome to TAB Target...)

Tanks need to be able to adjust to the group. If you notice DPS is pulling, you should be adjusting for your group comp.

I also assume, this is in a Mythic+... so I am expecting that the key holder is trying to pull faster.

Yes, it comes down to the tank pulling, and DPS shouldn't be pulling. However, the tank shoudl also know their abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm slow, sure. Go nuts and pull things, I'll take care of it.

If I'm going fast? Fuck you, go die in a fire. Do note, that I'm usually going as fast as I physically can. Only really stopping when there's a good reason to

What're we talking about here? Heroics? Mythics? Mythic+?

In heroics, i don't care what the tank is doing, or the healer, or anyone. I'm soloing it and you can sit back there and twiddle your thumbs and read your abilities all you like

In mythics, on most packs i won't care what the tank or healer are doing. Soloing those is easy too in decent gear.

In mythic+ you're forced to go fast, so if you aren't, i'll simply kick you.

The fact that something was ninja pulled means either:

1. The player pulling didn't see the patrol (Halls of Valor says hi)
    2. The tank was afk, or slow as piss

Besides, it takes 1 button press to get aggro.

Tanks have been spoiled so much since launch. They have the easiest job in every aspect of the game, besides maybe RBG flag carrying, and high mythic+. Besides that, their job is to not die and to hold aggro. The former can be carried by a decent healer, the latter requires pressing 1 shield slam or 1 soul cleave or 1 avengers shield (etc)

Bad tanks will say "It bothers me".

Bad tanks will say "You pull you tank".

Bad players will find any excuse.

A half-average tank will simply gain aggro and continue as is.

I never had in my 12 years of tanking a DPS pulling before me and causing troubl to the group ever, hell most of the times that happens its a healer pulling cause i simply dont require any healing and they get bored or unless it was a friend trying to "troll me" cause he knows i will simply grab everything or some barraging hunter which i already expect and deal with it.

The only thing that bothers me is when people simply can not WASD properly.

And by WASD i mean walking around, i just went that path, if you simply run behind me, you cant fail, but you run down the middle you are obviously mentally incapable of WASD-ing properly and you pulled extra mobs.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-12-27 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I call BULLSHIT on that. Even if you are a fast tank, someone will suddenly scream and run around, or suddenly more packs than actually needed.
    Im pretty sure the tanks hes speaking of are those ones that don't strafe, have never even heard of strafing, don't understand the concept at all, loot EVERY mob with auto loot off and read every single item in the loot list and click it individually.

Not the guy who is strafing through the entire dungeon, chain charging / leaping and aoeing. And if he does mean that guy, that guy would probably appreciate you pulling more if you have more mobility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Bad tanks will say "You pull you tank".
    "Ok"

*vote kicks tank*

*continues pulling as any dps or healer, because most content is trivial if you just use aoe stuns and do decent aoe cleave.*

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Okay.

As tank, if you Ninja pull, I let you die.
    As healer, if you Ninja pull, I let you die.
    As DPS, I don't ninja pull.

Nah, I call it half of it bullshit.. It's like this they pulled and you sometime half of time saved them. Nice try

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    "Ok"

*vote kicks tank*

*continues pulling as any dps or healer, because most content is trivial if you just use aoe stuns and do decent aoe cleave.*
    Pretty much what i do to when the tank is slow as hell and i am on my Fury Spec, i dont vote kick them, i just check if the healer has the gear and simply ignore the tank exists and cleave everything down with the healer, kinda helps running around in 4mil HP in daily HC

Only had 2 tanks complaining so far in Legion with that, both obviously players that dont understand math or something to figure out why they are not needed in a group where the 3 DPS combined pull 1.5-2mil DPS, or when the paladin healer has more HP than the tank cause of overgearing.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-12-27 at 09:16 PM.

Deleted
    The only time it bothers me is when it's necrotic and if it was not taking into account stacks and chance to reset them. If i didn't pull it, it is because i didn't want to.

But yeah, i had seen plenty silly tanks on dailies HC with 880+ DPS, and complaining that they are ninja pulling. Ussually the "you tank what you pull" are just bad players.
    Last edited by mmocc9cfd5da3c; 2016-12-27 at 09:16 PM.