Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    More people will die as much as some would bicker. The expansion is just starting.
    Exactly we still need some major lore characters, I doubt the Velen/Exodar is anywhere from over, since you know, Velen is the brother of Kil'jaeden.

They did kill off alternate Velen in WoD so I doubt the current one will die soon as he's so experienced traveling through "space" fleeing Argus in the first place with the Genedar (oshu'gun).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Exactly we still need some major lore characters, I doubt the Velen/Exodar is anywhere from over, since you know, Velen is the brother of Kil'jaeden.

They did kill off alternate Velen in WoD so I doubt the current one will die soon as he's so experienced traveling through "space" fleeing Argus in the first place with the Genedar (oshu'gun).
    I doubt Velen is in any danger considering that one Anduin comic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly unfortunately I feel after Legion it's going to be really difficult to shift the focus to NPCs again
    Well, we never really know It seems like the next expansion is gonna bring in Turalyon and Allieria back into the game again, so maybe the next expansion can have a big drama play between Khadgar and Turalyon, and Sylvanas and Alleria be the main focus point of the entire expansion. It would be something new for Blizzard, but i choose to be optimistic even though it might be a fools hope
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    I doubt Velen is in any danger considering that one Anduin comic.
    Yeah that was a bit silly as now we know Anduin isn't in danger whatsoever

one of the best aspects of legion storywise was the killing of three major heroic characters from the start. It set the tone and emphasized the threat we're dealing with (something i felt previous expansions lacked, especially wod) so i really hope blizzard won't shy away from killing off huge characters in the next expansions. What's your thoughts?
    kill the green jesus first an i will be happy forever!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    I actually prefer his style when it comes to war. People die and not always with dignity irrespective of who you are
    Man, Cairne's death was almost textbook George R.R. Martin there.

As somebody earlier posted, If they have proper replacements to step into the narrative, then yeah, we could axe a couple more characters.

I don't want them to go the full Shakespeare or anything, but a couple more reminders about mortality wouldn't hurt the game. Thrall is my favorite character, but if they can come up with a badass death for him to redeem him from his failure in the Mak'Gora against Hellscream I wouldn't have an issue with his dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9949 View Post
    kill the green jesus first an i will be happy forever!!!
    People are still memeing about Thrall what is this 2012?

Oh, we all know the world is full of chance and anarchy, so yes, it’s true-to-life for characters to die randomly. But news flash, the genre’s called fantasy! It’s meant to be unrealistic
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The wierd thing is that alliance players did not really have a problem with Vol'jin and horde players were fine with Varian.
    As an alliance player, losing Vol'jin meant more to me. Varian was just a wierdo, most of whose story happened in some book or comic where he was his own doppelganger or some other nonsense we had nothing to do with. We followed much more of Vol'jin's story in game (both from WC3 and in WoW). I'm hoping Vol'jin's story isn't done yet, he was a powerful shadowhunter, and he may return, either alive or as a loa.

People are still memeing about Thrall what is this 2012?
    Some retired/casual in my guild still says Green Jesus all the time. He came to Blizzcon this year and all he knew were buzzwords. Every other sentence had the phrase Green Jesus, and chocked full of buzzwords from the early 2010s. It's like he just woke up from a 5 year coma.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    As an alliance player, losing Vol'jin meant more to me. Varian was just a wierdo, most of whose story happened in some book or comic where he was his own doppelganger or some other nonsense we had nothing to do with. We followed much more of Vol'jin's story in game (both from WC3 and in WoW). I'm hoping Vol'jin's story isn't done yet, he was a powerful shadowhunter, and he may return, either alive or as a loa.
    Hmmm, elevating Vol'Jin to a Loa... I have to admit, that could be pretty damned cool. He would still be around to guide and help, but within the confines of the celestial order. Maybe with his guidance, Sylvanus could earn some measure of peace and become the Warchief that most of the Horde is hoping for.

As for Varian, I have to admit, at first I hated the guy, but by the end of WotLK I was starting to soften my stance. He was still a badass, but he was tempering it with wisdom. It sucked to watch him fall, but at least he got to go out like a boss.

I actually prefer his style when it comes to war. People die and not always with dignity irrespective of who you are
    Warcraft isn't ASOIAF. Characters being killed in the toilet doesn't really fit the heroic fantasy vibe Blizzard has going for them.

And the problem isn't that Blizzard is killing characters, the problem is that they aren't, or are badly replacing them so the cast of actually interesting characters is shrinking. And the ones that do survive are often rendered less interesting either by shilling the living hell out of them (Thrall, now Illidan) or demonizing them so they become one-dimensional (Jaina, Garrosh, Sylvanas to a degree).

I mean, the biggest example of that is Baine. Replaced Cairne, but what has he done except kill two level 10 Grimtotem NPCs back in Cata?

And then there's the joke of having Vol'jin do literally nothing as Warchief but warm the bench for waifu Sylvanas.

Blizzard just aren't very good writers at the end of the day.

Kill the character for the lore and the story or just kill the character because they are afraid of the reaction of X faction because their leader is dead ?

The death of Varian was an honorable death, I betit took some time to write is death

But the death of Vol Jin was pure shit, they just killed him because they were afraid of the rage ( like when the Horde mana bomb Theramore) of the alliance players.
    My god, Vol Jin was hit by a fucking sword from trash mobs then he died. Thats shit, if they need to kill people at least give them a glorious death. Or at least something else than a shitty thrash mob killing a faction leader
    Last edited by Phuongvi; 2016-12-29 at 08:20 PM.

I would like them to spread out the losses/feeling of danger a little more. Both WoD and legion (so far) were pretty bad in providing a consistent tone. If every expansion from now on is a huge doomsday event followed by us crushing the MOSTEST WORST EVIL in the world effortlessly in the patches/raids/dungeons, it will get boring pretty quickly.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I'm not buying that Vol'jin is dead. The keep in Orgrimmar is locked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perr View Post
    They are not good about creating new characters. The most prominent lore characters they use have been around since vanilla or before. Sylvanas, Tyrande, Malfurion, ect. Who's the biggest lore character they have created since vanilla? Wrathion? Who has basically been absent since MoP.
    Garrosh. Made in TBC.

They can't do this because they can't make good new lore characters just as fast.

Yeah but having characters that are never in true danger because of the writer isn't very good storytelling especially in a world in constant war
    Yeah but that narrative goes right along with our characters who bulldoze through everything dropped in their way....

Illidan? kicked his ass and sent his army to jail and KJ in the Sunwell? we flushed that toilet...
    LK? steamrolled through the Scourge and slapped his ass down
    Deathwing? Literally an aspect created by the titans, eh fuck it, we'll time travel and get some ultra weapon and then clip his toe nails while Green Jesus shoots it
    Brown Hitler and the orc Gestapo? Yeah we got this.. no problem
    More Brown Hitler then Green Stalin? Yeah, just rinse and repeat

Which brings us to Legion, which is the first time we've actually LOST a battle.. which of course means absolutely nothing as we've spent every second since then kicking the ever loving shit out of anything that opposes us. Storytelling where you know you are always going to win ends up being a stale story

Why does it matter when we're going to win regardless, and the PCs have all become superheroes now?

Varian's death made sense, but Vol'jin only went because we needed a female leader cuz gurl powa. And then Tirion's was too predictable and had zero impact since the PC takes the Ashbringer.

Legion worked so hard to create the illusion of stakes and tension when in reality it destroyed any hope of those two concepts existing ever again—even for MMORPG standards.

7+ Year Old Account
    Which I think worked well with Varian > Anduin
    yeah but anduin needs a female companion who will it be?
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396