Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

They are taking our jobs!

No, bad guys just have more potential for spectacle, which is what movies require.
    Maybe an afternoon with K-Pax will calm your fears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    You're assuming that aliens exist. The fact that nobody has heard anything - other than the so-called "Wow" signal - is called the Great Silence. And the fact that it even has a name speaks volumes.
    With the vastness of the galaxy (much less the universe) no no it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Just saying as a species we focus on the bad way more than we focus on the good.

War of the Worlds isn't a great example...the aliens don't actually get much focus at all. It's more a movie about what people will do to survive and protect their loved ones...remember when Tom Cruise straight up murders Tim Robbins?

Loki is easily counterbalanced by Thor.

You're assuming that aliens exist. The fact that nobody has heard anything - other than the so-called "Wow" signal - is called the Great Silence. And the fact that it even has a name speaks volumes.
    Aliens almost certainly exist. They're also probably so far away that unless there's some kind of absurd technological breakthrough allowing us to bend the very fabric of space and time then it is well beyond the lifespan of the human race to ever reach said aliens.

it doesn't matter humans would all simultaneously crap their pants

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKqLYIC2Bo

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    One thing is for sure, this stereotype will sure as hell be true from their perspective. We will be gross, drooling and sure as hell there to kill them.

Deleted
    The universe is so vast that Aliens probability wise just have to be there. The problem however is, the universe is so vast... it is highly possible for any species to become extinct before having the means to travel the distances required to have first contact.. I once read that even if we go by the theory that the universe is teeming with life... it is still very unlikely that we, as a species, will ever see any of them. /sad

Deleted
    We don't need to be influenced by media to be unreasonably hostile to the unknown as a species, history has taught us as much.

It's pretty terrible how movies stereotype aliens as being bipedal. I wonder how many species came close to visiting Earth only to be put off by society's unrealistic expectations of appendages.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The definition of intelligent life is skewed. We're intelligent when we use our own achievements as a measuring stick but in the grand scheme of things we're not even Type 1 cavemen on a cosmic level so if an alien shows up on a flying saucer we basically blow our loads as to how much more advanced they are when they themselves could just be the cavemen who harnessed fire.

It's entirely possible that some have exceeded this point but have succumb to the great filter and have either peaked, ran out of resources to sustain growth or simply vanished from catastrophic events otherwise they'd be actively colonizing the Galaxy. It's possible that the filter is ahead of us but we're all fucked if it's behind us and we're nothing more than a reality tv series to some Type 3 dickhead civilization.

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

You're assuming that aliens exist.
    Aliens in and around the Earth? No evidence.
    Aliens that we can understand in even a vague sense anywhere we can observe? No evidence.

Aliens all over the universe? Statistical certainty. Universe is fucking massive. If there really are no aliens at any time or place, that is pretty much proof of special creation, simulation, or otherwise anthropocentric universe.

E.T. was the vanguard of an alien invasion that killed and enslaved millions.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Honestly, I dont think they would care. You think I care what some ant would possibly think about me or my existance?

10+ Year Old Account
    So in alot of science fiction movies aliens are portrayed as gross drooling monsters who want to kill us. I fear that this will create a dangerous stereotype for when we meet real aliens. As a culture we're heavily influenced by movies and we learn stereotypes easily from them. This could put real aliens in alot of danger when we meet them.
    Admit it, you watched the Arnold Schwarzenegger version of total recall and saw the three tit alien and want them to be like that.
    #boycottchina

can something actually be unrealistic when we have absolutely no idea what is realistic in the first place?

So in alot of science fiction movies aliens are portrayed as gross drooling monsters who want to kill us. I fear that this will create a dangerous stereotype for when we meet real aliens. As a culture we're heavily influenced by movies and we learn stereotypes easily from them. This could put real aliens in alot of danger when we meet them.
    They'd be in danger anyway just because humans are inherently afraid of things that are different from themselves. We're still struggling in areas of the world of mistreatment just for having a slight variation of melanin levels in the skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saying as a species we focus on the bad way more than we focus on the good.

Bad? Those guys are toddlers throwing a temper tantrum.

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by XorMalice View Post
    Aliens in and around the Earth? No evidence.
    Aliens that we can understand in even a vague sense anywhere we can observe? No evidence.

Aliens all over the universe? Statistical certainty. Universe is fucking massive. If there really are no aliens at any time or place, that is pretty much proof of special creation, simulation, or otherwise anthropocentric universe.
    How is that a statistical certainty pray tell? Saying "universe is very big so there must be aliens out there" is a statistical fallacy. Why? You do not know the most important part of the equation. Namely the %of life beginning to exist on a planet capable of supporting it.

Say for example, there are 1 trillion (just a random number to make a point) planets in the universe capable of supporting life. Now if intelligent life has a 1 in billion probability of existing, it means that aliens almost certainly exist. But if the probability is 1 in 1000 trillion then we are almost certainly alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well games are creating the stereotype that Aliens are sexy and/or badass so i guess it balances itself out.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!