Poll: Should fireworks fall under heavier regulation?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    They should make it so you only see the flash with no bang for the animals sake. Saw a guy got beaten to a bloody pulp for fireing a rocket at someones dog, was nice to see actually that guy was a real dick.
    The bang is iinda important historically. In any case I wouldn't consider this case a problem because that idiot shooting at a dog was obviously an exception.

People will always find dangerous ways to entertain themselves, and there will always be a market for this kind of stuff - that's just human nature, and we know that attempting to regulate it will only empower the mafia and crime syndicates to provide those goods in a much less safe environment.

Besides, whatever risks that fireworks might pose, The Next Thing might be even worse:

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Just throw the book at anyone who damages the property or health of another person, but if a bunch of drunk morons want to blow their own digits off, I don't really care.
    This exactly. In residential areas it should be *heavily* regulated, especially for noise reasons. If they want to go somewhere where I don't have to listen to them I don't care. They need to take their crap to deserted parking lots, or other places where noise isn't a concern and it doesn't start fires.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I wish they would keep it out of the hands of idiots like this guy.

Isn't this the type of person you WANT to play with fireworks though? Not sure why you'd be against the bottom 1% of the human intelligence pool offing themselves in hilarious ways

10+ Year Old Account
    The store I work at is extremely strick on its firework sales. Nobody at checkouts are allowed to sell them, customers are told, usually pissed by the fact, that they have to talk to a customer service representative, and it be sold via someone standing in for management. They then need to present a form of ID and sign a safety notice for it. Have had a few teenagers trying to get ahold of some but it never works and they leave fruitless.
    #boycottchina

Should fireworks be more restricted? No.

Should people exercise more respect in regards to their neighbors when using them? Abso-fucking-lutely. I'm talking about you Mr. firing fireworks when its 2 hours after midnight.

It's funny because you can buy fireworks in Ohio but you legally can't light them off in Ohio. Except for like snakes and sparklers because they're the only kind we like.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Regulations are always a bad thing. Unless it has to do with people using substances I don't like. Or when people I don't think should be together declare their love for each other. Or when somebody says their bodily autonomy takes precedence over my opinion of their role in society. Besides that though, every single regulation ever made has been gross government overreach. There's also too many immigrants. But besides that, regulations are ruining everything!
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

I've always viewed fireworks as a good darwin award indicator and another means of natural selection. If it's on your property should be able to do wtf you want with em, you shouldn't be able to damage other peoples property willy-nilly though. I was lucky as I grew up on a farmstead 20mins from the nearest neighbor so we could use fireworks anytime we wanted though. I'd probably have a different opinion if I was living in a city apt and jackasses were lighting fireworks when I was trying to sleep though. I think like anything else they can be abused and it really depends on the person using them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illegal where I am. And that's fine with me. And most people it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Isn't this the type of person you WANT to play with fireworks though? Not sure why you'd be against the bottom 1% of the human intelligence pool offing themselves in hilarious ways
    Things like this are where I think maybe there should be an "complete idiot" clause in all healthcare. Like if you are a competent adult and you get injured being a complete idiot, hospitals/doctors don't have to treat you, insurance doesn't pay if you do get treated or you just have to deal and live with it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    I've always viewed fireworks as a good darwin award indicator and another means of natural selection. If it's on your property should be able to do wtf you want with em, you shouldn't be able to damage other peoples property willy-nilly though. I was lucky as I grew up on a farmstead 20mins from the nearest neighbor so we could use fireworks anytime we wanted though. I'd probably have a different opinion if I was living in a city apt and jackasses were lighting fireworks when I was trying to sleep though. I think like anything else they can be abused and it really depends on the person using them.
    I think part of the issue is that you can use them on your property and still pose a significant risk to the property of your neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Because they start fires that can lead to a lot of property damage and potentially killing other people.

It's illegal to use fireworks that fire off into the air. People still do it. To quote the Simpsons "Celebrate the independence of your nation by blowing up a small part of it."

Here in Denmark it is already heavy regulated in the way that it is very limited whats legal, in short anything that goes bang on the ground is not legal and other stuff is limited on how powerful it can be, but still around 100 people got badly injured this new year's eve, seems must from illegal or modified fireworks.

I like fireworks and each year i use far too much on it but....we do not really need it and if there was a vote i would likely vote for a ban

I don't know.

It's a shame that idiots cause so much damage and injury by playing around with something as dangerous as fireworks but at the same time it's something of a tradition in many countries for fireworks to be used at special events for the sake of an impressive display. One could make the argument that they could be banned and official displays could be pushed more strongly but given how eager the government(s) of the world are to cut costs it'd likely only be a matter of time before such things ended up losing funding anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I enjoy fire works they're a lot of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    actually i stand corrected turns out wisconsin just banned sparklers last year because kids kept burning themselves with it. HORRAY.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The fact that fireworks can even exist is pretty bizarre to me.

Aren't there laws about making noise past like 10pm?

I don't really mind it, but I have pets and they get freaked out big time every fireworks night or new years. Another thing is kids trying to sleep. How the ever loving shit can kids sleep through that shit? The answer is - they can't. Lets not forget all the old people living alone. Old woman (think shes in the 80s now) across the street from me actually leaves town and goes to stay with her friend in a village a few miles from us on fireworks night, halloween and new years.

Its really fucking weird that those giant rockets can actually exist - the ones that shake your windows and floorboards and those package ones that launch continuously for like 30 seconds.