Guarm Mythic - % defensive cooldowns

Each breath colors hits 5,4mln damage, split among enemies within a specific color.

Let's say 6 people soak a calor and I use defensive cooldown which reduces incoming damage by 50%.

Without using defensive cooldown everyone would take 5,4 / 6 = 900k damage. But since I am using this defensive cooldown reducing 50% damage, will I take 450k damage and everyone 900k, or will the "lost 450k" be added to other player's damage taken pool, so they take 975k instead of 900k damage?

Little bit messy, thanks for help though

You should be saving defensives for Flame Lick almost 100% of the time

You aren't thinking about this properly.

Each player takes a certain amount of damage. You can mitigate the damage YOU take by using a personal (but you should save for Flame lick/Guarm pounce).

Using a personal CD will not reduce anyone's damage taken.

Edit: Just saw you're a melee. You cannot get flame lick so you should be feinting for his leap. Outside of that cloaking the breath is kind of a waste. (Save cloak for dispeling yourself to aid the healers)
    Last edited by Cover25; 2017-01-01 at 07:04 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You alone would just take less damage. But I'd never use defensive CDs on the breath, the damage it does is pretty trivial.

The damage Guarm does is easily healed. The damage that isn't is either one shots, mismanaged raid CDs during his charge phase, or a combination of DPS not reacting fast enough or healers not reacting fast enough to flame lick. Simply put, the only dangerous damage is flame lick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    Each breath colors hits 5,4mln damage, split among enemies within a specific color.

Let's say 6 people soak a calor and I use defensive cooldown which reduces incoming damage by 50%.

Without using defensive cooldown everyone would take 5,4 / 6 = 900k damage. But since I am using this defensive cooldown reducing 50% damage, will I take 450k damage and everyone 900k, or will the "lost 450k" be added to other player's damage taken pool, so they take 975k instead of 900k damage?

Little bit messy, thanks for help though
    Defensives are calc'd as everyone gets hit. So no it would not make anyone else take more or less. Nothing has ever worked this way.

As said above don't use defensives on breaths. Even if you end up never casting it it is better to have a cd for flame lick, even if it doesn't target you, then use it on breath which is never needed.

Please let's put Flame Licks and other "more important" stuff aside, I'm just wondering how does it work and took Guarm just as an example

just have ur 2 tanks soak one breath and split 9 others in to the other two. not rocket science.

You will take 450k; everyone else will take 900k. Note that the three breaths are independent for the damage split (which you know), meaning that you can game this a bit. If you know you have, say, 5 players who can take reduced damage every breath, you can assign those five to soak one of the breaths. This leaves you with 7/8 for the other two breaths, which reduces the damage they all take.

I hope that makes sense, but I'd also echo the sentiments of other posters. Reducing breath damage in this way may seem logical, and I suppose it is, but it's inconsequential. 99% of the deaths on this fight are going to be from flame lick/tank deaths/foam.

Please let's put Flame Licks and other "more important" stuff aside, I'm just wondering how does it work and took Guarm just as an example
    Every mechanic in the game just divides the damage evenly, if its a split damage mechanic, then calcs the damage based on damage reductions after. That is how everything works bar a couple old mechanics in raids.

Your damage reduction is personal so heres two situations.

An ability does 2 mill damage shared between 2 people
    1) One person uses a 50% DR the other uses nothing. Person one takes 500k damage the other takes 1million
    2) One person immunities it. The other uses nothing. First person takes zero damage, 2nd person takes the full 2 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Every mechanic in the game just divides the damage evenly, if its a split damage mechanic, then calcs the damage based on damage reductions after. That is how everything works bar a couple old mechanics in raids.
    You say "a couple" - I can only think of Oregorger's acid spit (tank's level of reduction/mitigation/absorb would make the hits on the ranged smaller - less mitigation for 1 person, more hurt for many). Am I forgetting something glaringly obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    You say "a couple" - I can only think of Oregorger's acid spit (tank's level of reduction/mitigation/absorb would make the hits on the ranged smaller - less mitigation for 1 person, more hurt for many). Am I forgetting something glaringly obvious?
    That might be it idk. I forget what did what exactly throughout raiding since start of bc lol.

I know a few abilities went through immunites like they didnt count but ya.