Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Sorry we don't have time to learn. We work 2 jobs 80 hours a week and barely make ends meet.
    Of course you do.

See this is why I'd hope, that if there were to be some sort of all out anarchy civil war or zombie apocalypse, that it would happen right now during these times.

Because for one, I'd still be young enough to BAMF it up.

And for two, millennials and beta "muh feels muh outrages" types would be such easy pickings.

They don't have guns, they don't have skills, they're weak, and their drum circles can be heard from miles away.

This prey is most definitely not resilient.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't know about him, but I basically don't use checks and never let my accounts go near zero. The only checks I ever wrote were rent checks at a previous apartment, but when you only use checking for one thing, it's a simple matter to make sure there's enough in the account before you write it. I can also monitor my credit card balance online, including pending transactions, which is the only thing that draws directly from my accounts under normal circumstances. Even then, there's overdraft protection for something like four overdrafts per month, so I don't even have to do more than make sure I have enough money in the account somewhere and the bank will do the rest.
    Yeah, I keep a minimum balance of at least $3k in my account at all times so overdrafts are never a worry. These days it's a lot more than that, actually. And then I check a few times a month. Pretty simple.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy freakin ads. There was maybe a paragraph of story spread out between like 30 "click this crap" things on that page. On topic, I think we adapt to our environment. The need for reading such maps or starting a fire have reduced. They are good skills to have, but the frequency in which you'll need those skills has reduced. I know I'm among the slightly older side of MMO-Champion posters, but I don't think people younger than me are unable to learn these skills. They'd probably pick them up just as fast as I did. The difference now is we have the technology that makes that knowledge less important. Hell, I have several apps on my phone that would be great to guide me around.

Well, there were less people in the 1950 that knew to ride a horse than 1850. That's just what progressing means.

Although I find the compiliation of skills quite interesting. Fishing? Well, why would you need it except when you want to go fishing.
    But "more than half of young adults were unable to tie a single knot". Err what? Last I looked by far the most shoes had showlaces, I find it hard to believe half of the people do not know how to fasten them.

Meh, giving millenials a hard time is a tad overdone.

Here's something about millenials that's far more useful, and actually useful for everyone.

https://youtu.be/hER0Qp6QJNU

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    See this is why I'd hope, that if there were to be some sort of all out anarchy civil war or zombie apocalypse, that it would happen right now during these times.

Because for one, I'd still be young enough to BAMF it up.

And for two, millennials and beta "muh feels muh outrages" types would be such easy pickings.

They don't have guns, they don't have skills, they're weak, and their drum circles can be heard from miles away.

This prey is most definitely not resilient.
    lol internet "badass"

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I think some of us need to digital detox this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, so I'm pretty sure if you wish for the collapse of civilization so that a handful of people you don't like die, you're the problem.
    Dont worry, I can take him. I know geography, I know Civil War tactics, and as a Texan gun usage is in my blood.

guerrilla warfare here I come.

Yeah, so I'm pretty sure if you wish for the collapse of civilization so that a handful of people you don't like die, you're the problem.
    Read closer that's not what I wished for.

I said if it were to happen - I'd hope that it would happen while I was young.
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh a tire change SHOULD be able to be done by any adult regardless of experience. Pretty sure they plaster instructions in the jack storage area.
    One of my employees seriously didn't even know how to pump her own gas . ='[

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    lol internet "badass"
    There's no report button in the zombie apocalypse.
    MAGA

Something to mention about balancing a checkbook. Most people think that when you swipe your debit card the money is instantly given to the company and the transaction is done. It isn't. What happens is that the money is HELD from your account (typically for 3 business days) and the company is given the authorization to collect the funds. Normally most companies settle the transaction within that 3 day period, but if they don't collect then the money becomes available to you and if you don't balance your account you could be in for a rude surprise when they collect it a month later. That's why keeping a record of your spending (good idea anyway) is valuable even if you don't write checks.

I work for a credit union and you wouldn't believe the number of calls I get from people who don't understand the difference between authorized and posted transactions.

I get lost out in the wilderness sometimes and I have a contour map and GPS. You see a trail fork on the map but foot traffic has ruined the path or something and you wind up walking the wrong way. I think there's a sport where you follow a contour map cross country and find a marker even.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    reading a map is basically reading basic instructions. If you cant do that, you deserve to have your intelligence questioned
    There's not a person on earth who doesnt know how to read a map, not only is it taught very early in school but its also rather self explanatory. One thing is being lazy and wanting someone to spoon feed you, another one is not actually knowing how to read a map. The former is definitely a problem of my generation, but lazyness and lack of knowledge are two different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I think Oregon doesnt allow people to do that, so if shes form oregon, understandable >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Millennials these days... They don't even know how to use a slide rule. What will they do when all the computers and calculators and smart phones fail and they need to build a steel truss bridge?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Is that a euphemism?

10+ Year Old Account
    Changing a tire is such a stupid thing to be worried about. Nobody "taught" me how to do it I just had a flat one day and saw the tools and went oh yeah no shit that's simple.

I can believe it. I'm 25, and watching my friends when things break or when google doesn't tell them a solution is just amazing. Just simple things, oh my garbage disposal has an issue, better call a guy. Oh my lawn mower sounds funny, better call a guy. Oh I need to measure and cut this board to use for project X, better just call a guy. Which, yes, I blame them, but I do in a sense blame their families as well. My dad was pretty handy and passed most of what he knew to me by having me help on projects, it's not hard to read a book and figure things out, especially when most include pictures. And it's beneficial to know how to do simple things, knowing how to start a fire, change a tire, knowing simple things to do should you ever be put in a situation where you won't have contact. It's always fun to go camping with friends just to hear them all go "I feel so manly right now, I'm making fire and cooking in the wild."

But that's how things are. It's easier to call and have someone else do it, rather than take the time to do it yourself, and unfortunately, now it's almost just as cheap to pay someone to do it as well.
    Last edited by Droodid; 2017-01-04 at 08:08 PM.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||