Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mexico says Trump taking their jobs.

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Ford Motor Co.'s cancellation of plans to build a $1.6 billion auto manufacturing plant in San Luis Potosi has sounded alarms across Mexico.

Even as the country is being rocked by rowdy nationwide protests against a Jan. 1 gasoline price hike, the Ford news led the front pages of Mexico's most influential newspapers Wednesday, and they tied the development directly to President-elect Donald Trump.

"Trump leaves Mexico without 3,600 jobs," read the headline on El Universal. "Ford's braking jolts the peso," said Reforma, referring to the Mexican currency's nearly 1 percent slump following the news.

"The jobs created in Mexico have contributed to maintaining manufacturing jobs in the United States which otherwise would have disappeared in the face of Asian competition," the Mexico Economy Department said.

The Mexican peso slid again Wednesday, with the Bank of Mexico's 48-hour interbank exchange rate for the currency weakening from 21.05 to the U.S. dollar to 21.52 at the close.

Mexicans have been nervous about Trump's tough rhetoric toward their country, including disparaging remarks about immigrants who enter the U.S. illegally and vows to wall off the border and renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, upsetting ties with what is by far Mexico's largest trading partner.

Two weeks before inauguration, the scuttling of the planned Ford factory and Trump's pressure on General Motors should be a "much-needed wake-up call," said Mexico analyst Alejandro Hope.

It shows "how much actual leverage Trump has within specific companies, which is far greater than what Mexican elites thought until recently," Hope said. "They claimed that at the end of the day economic interests would prevail over political messaging. That's clearly not the case."

In an editorial, El Universal also recalled the deal Trump struck in December with Carrier to keep 800 of 1,300 jobs at an Indiana furnace factory from being sent to Mexico, in return for millions of dollars in tax incentives. It also implicitly criticized the Mexican government's response to the incoming administration.

"Mexico loses thousands of jobs with no word on a clear strategy for confronting the next U.S. government which has presented itself as protectionist and, especially, anti-Mexican," the paper wrote. "Trump will try to recover as many U.S. companies that have set up in Mexico as possible. He will try to make them return at whatever cost, through threats or using public resources."

"Ford's decision is indicative of what awaits the economies of both countries," the daily La Jornada said. "For ours a severe decrease in investment from our neighboring country, and for the U.S. a notable increase in their production costs."

Hope said more decisions like Ford's are likely to come. And while the loss of a single planned plant probably does not fundamentally change the U.S.-Mexico economic relationship, "it certainly shows that the idea that the status quo was entrenched was false."

"This should put us on notice that when he says that he wants to renegotiate NAFTA, he means it," Hope said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-04-14-45-38

Deleted
    Hahahaahahahhaahahahha

Next you're gonna take your people who reside illegally in the US back.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2017-01-04 at 10:25 PM.

Bo fucking hoo

US Government should protect jobs in Mexico so Mexican citizens can lose jobs, got it.

I'm ok with this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It begins. Economists are shaking heir heads.

Ford already stated they were making this change no matter who won the presidential election, so the Mexican media, just like Trumpers, are too blind to see that Trump had zero impact in Ford's decision.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    ...the Ford news led the front pages of Mexico's most influential newspapers Wednesday, and they tied the development directly to President-elect Donald Trump.
    Which means Mexican papers are as sloppy as most of the US press.

Reality - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...do-with-trump/

Ford’s move became political after Fields expressed confidence in the business climate under President-elect Donald Trump, and Trump on Twitter took credit for the company’s decision. Both men invoked the importance of protecting American jobs.

Analysts, though, say Ford’s decision stemmed more from its long-term goals than the new administration or devotion to U.S. workers. The company aims to invest $4.5 billion in electric vehicles by 2020. (The company would not comment on the specifics of the 700 new positions.)

"We expect a big change in the next decade on not only the growing affordability,” Fields said, “but also the consumer acceptance of electrified vehicles.”

The Ford engineers, tasked with creating these models, work in Dearborn, Mich. — 20 miles from the Flat Rock assembly plant. Moving production to Mexico would have made their jobs harder, said Brett Smith, an auto analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

“Keeping a new technology near the engineers is an important thing, at least in the first generation,” he said. “That gives them a lot more control to monitor a system.”

Ford's vision for the updated Michigan facility, meanwhile, meshes with broader industry trends, he said.

Correct me if I'm grossly simplifying things but wont this just make the companies that still have operations based in mexico more competetive?

Isn't it more expensive to run a plant in the USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Correct me if I'm grossly simplifying things but wont this just make the companies that still have operations based in mexico more competetive?

NAFTA didn't exactly help Mexico or the Mexican people. Millions of illegal immigrants crossing the border ain't exactly a sign of success.

The Mexican media is critictizing it's government for being terrible, which it has like that little drug war that's been going that has killed more people then Afganistan? Yeah That one.

Deleted

Tariffs.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    NAFTA didn't exactly help Mexico or the Mexican people. Millions of illegal immigrants crossing the border ain't exactly a sign of success.
    NAFTA is the only reason mexicans cross the border?
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

AkA making Mexico pay for the wall, lol

Deleted
    Deny it all you want. Pretty obvious trump struck a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Tariffs.

/10char
    So won't that just drive up prices for everyone?

7+ Year Old Account
    NAFTA is the only reason mexicans cross the border?
    NAFTA destroyed the Mexican corn industry in favor of American big corn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rs-suffer-most

NAFTA has only helped the big corporations make a lot of money, it has fucked the poor on both sides of the border.

The wall would actually be a good thing for Mexico, even if it paid for it. Why? Because it would help put an end to the drug war.

Those jobs would probably end up getting replaced by automation anyway.

Manufacturing is still booming in the US but it has shifted from low tech to high tech so the costs are justified since it is harder to get those skilled workers in third world countries. Donald Trump can try as he might but he cannot fight technology, there is absolutely nothing that tariffs, isolationism can do against AI, automation and self driving cars.

7+ Year Old Account
    Donald Trump can try as he might but he cannot fight technology, there is absolutely nothing that tariffs, isolationism can do against AI, automation and self driving cars.
    Someone's still gotta to make the cars, robots and AIs. I get the value of your point, it is true, but at the same time NAFTA and Free Trade are different then this.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    NAFTA destroyed the Mexican corn industry in favor of American big corn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rs-suffer-most

NAFTA has only helped the big corporations make a lot of money, it has fucked the poor on both sides of the border.
    So quality of life in Mexico was comparable to the USAs before '94? I hope I don't sound like I'm being contrarian or disputing anything of what you're saying, just looking for clarification. I thought Mexicans had been coming to the USA for decades for a better life, "the American Dream"...

The wall would actually be a good thing for Mexico, even if it paid for it. Why? Because it would help put an end to the drug war.
    Its offtopic but I'd imagine there would have to be a loss of market or massive increase in domestic production before that happens so any wall would simply be an inconvenience. Maybe I just don't understand how much of the drugs in America is imported by land.