Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    0.01%.. The "genetic and medical conditions" are usually BS. Sure some have it harder than others, but very very few "can´t" lose weight.
    Citation required.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    Yeah... those aren't the norm and they should definitely not drink sugar water.

And even some of those can counteract their own metabolism and maybe not eat above your TDEE "just cause im hungry and there is nothing else to do".
    You are completely ignoring why these people are over weight, and what contributes to their problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You are completely ignoring why these people are over weight, and what contributes to their problem.
    You seem to not be reading what i'm posting.

+

This is not about obese people. It's about the soda tax and i support it.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

You seem to not be reading what i'm posting.

This is not about obese people. It's about the soda tax and i support it.
    Not all obese people are guzzling down soda "cuz I'm hungry and there is nothing else to do."

This is just more fat shaming nonsense, and completely ignores the reality that some people have medical conditions that cause them to be overweight. Most people that are obese don't want to be obese.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

This is just more fat shaming nonsense, and completely ignores the reality that some people have medical conditions that cause them to be overweight. Most people that are obese don't want to be obese.
    Lol ofc they don't want to be obese... I just don't see them doing anything about it besides blaming genetics/no time to eat well or exercise.

If you want to lose weight, and don't have a debilitating medical condition, go take long walks or run and eat less.

Lol ofc they don't want to be obese... I just don't see them doing anything about it besides blaming genetics.

If you want to lose weight, and don't have a debilitating medical condition, go take long walks or run and eat less.
    You're making wild generalizations. There are a lot of medical and hereditary conditions that contribute to being over weight.

I would argue there aren't too many obese people that say "Man, if only I could be fatter!" There are also plenty of mental health problems that contribute to obesity.

Let's just ignore all of that and call them lazy. It works for the poor.

Yeah, this is just ridiculous.

We pay taxes on too many things already.

Why does government have the "right" to do this. I don't think they should have this "right." We need to find out what legislation (or ruling) they are using to do this an reppeal it.

We should be able to eat and drink what we want without the government's grubby hands on it. What are they going to tax next, air? Like in all those sci-fi movies?

They are so terrible at their job, maybe they should focus on improving their work before they start putting their hands in more business.

Not all obese people are guzzling down soda "cuz I'm hungry and there is nothing else to do."

NO.
    You're claiming most people have genetic or medical conditions is just flat out wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    NO.
    You're claiming most people have genetic or medical conditions is just flat out wrong.
    Where did I claim this?

You're making wild generalizations. There are a lot of medical and hereditary conditions that contribute to being over weight.

I would argue there aren't too many obese people that say "Man, if only I could be fatter!" There are also plenty of mental health problems that contribute to obesity.

Let's just ignore all of that and call them lazy. It works for the poor.
    The key word is Contribute. You don't get fat because you have it.Some conditions make you more susceptible, hence why you need to take special steps to counteract it.

Mental health problems that contribute to obesity (such as depression, etc...) benefit a lot from frequent exercise.

Drinking sugar water doesn't contribute to good health. Drink plain water.

Where did I claim this?
    Your statement connects that most people don't want to be obese with genetic and medical conditions.
    Needed a qualifier there if that claim wasn't the case..

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Perhaps people who cannot afford to have kids should refrain from doing so instead of expecting everyone else to pay for them. You can get free condoms at many places (Planned Parenthood, homeless shelters, schools, health clinics, some bars, etc...) and free birth control pills under Obamacare.
    Perhaps naive solutions which target behaviors of individuals should be set aside in favor of programs targeted at larger populations. Plans which can actually be enacted. Obviously poorer people are having children, and telling them, "Hey, stop it!" isn't getting anyone anywhere.

This is the typical conservative failing: offering individual-level "solutions" (which are impossible for a society of millions of people to enforce) for society-level problems. So now, tell me what you intend to do (on a reasonable budget) to convince poor people to stop reproducing (which overall would have a negative impact economically because these people make up the largest share of our population, i.e. future consumers)?

When I was a kid I didnt know a soul who went to daycare. One parent would stay home while the other parent worked 2 jobs, or Grandma would babysit. That method would still work today if people were responsible
    If you're around my age (mid-30's), then you grew up in a time period when housing prices were much lower, and household incomes relative to inflation were higher. And, even so, both my sister and myself did go to daycare, while both of our parents worked full-time jobs. Surprise: your experience (and mine) isn't universal. Making sweeping generalizations based on what you remember from when you were a kid doesn't help much. With anything.

Your suggestion would sure work well for a single mother with no living parents. She could stay at home with the kids while [no one] goes to work or go to work herself while [no one] stays home with the kids. Problem solved! But I get it, she was irresponsible having those children. So the children themselves should be punished for her actions. And that's setting aside that she could be in this situation because of abuse, abandonment, or the death of her significant other. Or so many other reasons outside of her control.

if people were responsible
    Okay, then. Make people "responsible." At a societal level. With a positive overall economic impact. What solution do you propose for this "responsibility" problem?

And, once you've solved that, solve the problem of crippling student and medical debt as well as deadbeats who don't pay child support. Then find a way to make sure the primary income earner in a family is never unexpectedly injured or dies. I'm sure that won't be hard.
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2017-01-06 at 03:24 PM.

Your statement connects that most people don't want to be obese with genetic and medical conditions.
    Needed a qualifier there if that claim wasn't the case..
    I said I would bet most people don't want to be obese, unless you are mentally ill, being unhealthy isn't something people strive for. Most obese people aren't popping soda cans and saying "Whooo! I'm dying! BRING ON THE FATNESS!" I'm sure there is someone out there doing this, but, they are mentally ill.

I also said some people have medical conditions that cause them to gain weight, despite proper diet and exercise.

No where did I say "most people" are obese because of medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Sodas have no real nutritional benefit, they're akin to alcohol in that sense. It's a sin tax. You might disagree with sin taxes and whether they work, but the idea is that people who do things harmful to their bodies (smoke, drink, eat a high-sugar diet) are a greater health care/social burden than those who do not.
    Soda, tea and juice are not cheaper than water. Nowhere is your statement true in the US.
    If you go to a soda fountain machine at a QT, you can get any size soda for $1. 64 oz of sugary goodness. Try to find a 64 oz bottled water in the fridge next to it that is that cheap. Now, I understand that you can also get a water from the soda fountain, or at home. Both are cheaper options. However, "cheap water" is not commercialized, what gas station wants you to get a free cup of ice over a $1 soda fountain.

I'm only stating the above because you said "No where in the US". Well, there are places, it's mostly these convenience stores in gas stations that are the culprit. However, this is where many of the poor are getting their lotto tickets, cigarettes, alcohol, and soda. In those places, pop/soda is often cheaper than what is advertised as the bottled water in the fridges. Remember, one of the problems for the poor is that no one invests in their community. They don't have nice cheap grocery stores where you buy your consumables in bulk. Can't really blame the business owners though, who wants to put a business up in an area with no wealth? They're walking to the nearest gas station or fast food restaurant for their nutrition.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2017-01-06 at 03:25 PM.

I said I would bet most people don't want to be obese, unless you are mentally ill, being unhealthy isn't something people strive for. Most obese people aren't popping soda cans and saying "Whooo! I'm dying! BRING ON THE FATNESS!" I'm sure there is someone out there doing this, but, they are mentally ill.

I also said some people have medical conditions that cause them to gain weight, despite proper diet and exercise.

No where did I say "most people" are obese because of medical conditions.
    Then I should think that such people aren't affected by this tax at all since they can't drink this stuff to begin with.

Let me add that I myself am completely unaffected by this tax. I don't live in Philly, though I do occasionally visit. (It's nearby) And should I do visit and stop to eat something, I'd still be unaffected since my drink of choice isn't on the list of taxable items. (coffee...and not some macchiattoramalamadingdong shit.)
    That's where my perspective is...indifferent.

Then I should think that such people aren't affected by this tax at all since they can't drink this stuff to begin with.

Let me add that I myself am completely unaffected by this tax. I don't live in Philly, though I do occasionally visit. (It's nearby) And should I do visit and stop to eat something, I'd still be unaffected since my drink of choice isn't on the list of taxable items. (coffee...and not some macchiattoramalamadingdong shit.)
    That's where my perspective is...indifferent.
    You can order a coffee at a restaurant, and make it worse than drinking a Coke.

That's why this is a stupid tax, it doesn't address the actual problem.

That's why this is a stupid tax, it doesn't address the actual problem.
    People said that about smoking too...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    So now, tell me what you intend to do (on a reasonable budget) to convince poor people to stop reproducing (which overall would have a negative impact economically because these people make up the largest share of our population, i.e. future consumers)?
    We can stop rewarding them for doing so by giving them more and more money for each kid they pop out. when the teat dries up, they can suffer for their irresponsibility

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Your suggestion would sure work well for a single mother with no living parents. She could stay at home with the kids while [no one] goes to work or go to work herself while [no one] stays home with the kids. Problem solved! But I get it, she was irresponsible having those children. So the children themselves should be punished for her actions. And that's setting aside that she could be in this situation because of abuse, abandonment, or the death of her significant other. Or so many other reasons outside of her control.
    Doesnt mean the taxpayer should be responsible to reward her for for irresponsibility and bad decisions. There are other options for a person like that. The YWCA helps people were were abused, evicted, or abandoned by her man. Churches help, Homeless shelters help etc.... people dont always have to go running to the government with their hands out. Bad decisions and irresponsibility should have negative consequences

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, first, your "shapes and colors" assessment on the learning ability of those under age 5 is wrong. I was reading and completing math activity books before I started preschool. My grandparents raised me and, as my grandmother was a teacher, she started me quite early.

As for the tax, I agree its unfair if the full capacity of the cup is how the tax is determined by the restaurants. However, restaurants will do this because profit is always their main concern. I don't think the idea of the tax is unfair. After all, we tax cigarettes, so why not sugar? The fact that it targets only beverages is a bit strange, though.

People said that about smoking too...
    That has nothing to do with what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    in the OP story they are paying 2.18 for a 20 ounce
    Change over to metric already lol