Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mertesacker04 View Post
    Oh sorry, we forgot you're the judge and arbiter of what's fake and what's not. I know common sense and logic is hard for you on this fake news topic but try to keep it up with me. Say it with me sweetie: Huffington Post and NYT are fake news.
    Somebody drank his InfoWars Alex Jones Super Male Vitality today! Careful though, I hear its turns faeries to the left!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I read the four criteria of the OP's article - however I didn't research the intent of the site it was on - it may well be a fake news site itself

Fake news has a very specific set of criteria, sadly met by a site such as the Onion - because in this day where facts, parody and lies are mixed in a bowl of information soup, parody itself can be dangerous.
    If it is parody, then its intent is not to be misleading and should not be listed as fake news, otherwise every site that runs an April Fools article would constitute fake news.

The article has ridiculous categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If it is parody, then its intent is not to be misleading and should not be listed as fake news,
    Well, the intent is to be knowingly misleading - that's why it is a parody. Otherwise it wouldn't be parody, it would just be fiction.

That's why I said 'sadly met' ... as in, it shouldn't be met.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mertesacker04 View Post
    Someone's salty their precious MSM is failing everyday and no longer control the narrative. Actually let me correct this, the MSM never controlled any narrative, the people running them don't have enough brain capacity to even make up believable fake news.
    Hahaha, you think I watch the news. Hahahaha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the intent is to be knowingly misleading - that's why it is a parody. Otherwise it wouldn't be parody, it would just be fiction.

That's why I said 'sadly met' ... as in, it shouldn't be met.
    Parody isn't intending to be misleading, it is intending to be funny.

What's your argument?

Summary :

FAKE NEWS : a source with the primary intent of disseminating false information
    NON FAKE : a source with the primary intent of disseminating true information.

In both cases, mistakes can be made - and biases be present. But just because a news site makes a mistake or two, doesn't make them fake.

The real problem with the current MSM is NOT that they are fake news, because they aren't - rather that they just don't bother covering some stories they should.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do what ever you want, however your actions or beliefs do not change the facts. That is - you would be incorrect.
    I would argue that many of the fake articles that were published were not mistakes. They constantly skew the truth to push their own narratives, and sometimes outright lie, and will only retract once legal action is proposed, and even then sometimes refuse.

Without the intention to mislead it is just fiction or comedy. Anyway - we both agree The Onion shouldn't be there, however I can understand in this day and age why it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    They constantly skew the truth, and will only retract once legal action is proposed, and even then sometimes refuse.
    Ah - skewing the truth - that's a different thing to fake news.

Skewing the truth has to start with the truth then create a fake narrative with it. That's what Fox new is a master of.

e.g. The Pizzagate thing is fake news - has no basis in reality.

Fox news saying Clinton received donations to her campaign from Saudis - that's strong bias as they took facts (Clinton Foundation etc) and took them to breaking point. - that's BIAS, not fake news.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't really a good thread.

If people want to keep up-to-date on what is considered to be a site peddling in fake news, there are better ways to do it than a thread on a gaming forum that is just devolving into "my favorite sites aren't, yours are!" back and forth.