Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year

Why did I go against a team one tier higher then me?

Seriously so confused..

15+ Year Old Account
    To challenge your team to play better? To learn from players better than you? I honestly don't know. :shrug:

Because it tried to match you up in your tier and couldn't because people were already in games or not online and so it set you both up after the queue went to long. The good news is if you win you win big points, if you lose you barely feel it.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post

Seriously so confused..
    I had one of these games earlier too. For some reason my team had the 1 Diamond guy, and I'm the same rank as you.
    Quality matchmaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Because it tried to match you up in your tier and couldn't because people were already in games or not online and so it set you both up after the queue went to long. The good news is if you win you win big points, if you lose you barely feel it.
    I lost 28 SR. Thats more then I lose in my own tier on average. And no loss streak, I won just before this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I had one of these games earlier too. For some reason my team had the 1 Diamond guy, and I'm the same rank as you.
    Quality matchmaking.
    Do you and others still not understand how matchmaking works? Let's say there are 6 teams in the queue:
    3 teams at 3k
    3 teams at 2k

It pairs two of the 3k and two of the 2k together so they are left with a 2k and a 3k team after that. The queue doesn't pair the 2k and 3k against each other right away, but as time goes on it tries to find a match. After enough time passes the game says, "well we don't have anybody to pair with these two teams so we will play them against each other". This is why SR gain/loss changes based on the rating you go against. If the SR was a static 50 per win/loss then the system would suck, but because it varies the system is good. It lets people play more with a varied experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I lost 28 SR. Thats more then I lose in my own tier on average. And no loss streak, I won just before this game.
    One or more of your high rated opponents may have been on a loss streak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Do you and others still not understand how matchmaking works? Let's say there are 6 teams in the queue:
    3 teams at 3k
    3 teams at 2k

It pairs two of the 3k and two of the 2k together so they are left with a 2k and a 3k team after that. The queue doesn't pair the 2k and 3k against each other right away, but as time goes on it tries to find a match. After enough time passes the game says, "well we don't have anybody to pair with these two teams so we will play them against each other". This is why SR gain/loss changes based on the rating you go against. If the SR was a static 50 per win/loss then the system would suck, but because it varies the system is good. It lets people play more with a varied experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats how its SUPPOSED to be. You got the match making part right, not the SR changes. I went against a team higher then my tier, lost 28 points and thats not on a losing streak. Im not the only one this happens to, as the forums are full of it. The SR gain / loss is so badly implemented and calculated.

Thats how its SUPPOSED to be. You got the match making part right, not the SR changes. I went against a team higher then my tier, lost 28 points and thats not on a losing streak. Im not the only one this happens to, as the forums are full of it. The SR gain / loss is so badly implemented and calculated.
    "One or more of your high rated opponents may have been on a loss streak."

YOU may not have been on a loss streak, but somebody on the other team may have been. If somebody else is on a loss streak that means their MM rating is lower than their SR which means you will lose more SR if you lose because SR is calculated based on MM rating not SR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    3 teams at 3k
    3 teams at 2k

- - - Updated - - -

That's still not good matchmaking... It's a ranked game, I shouldn't be seeing diamond players at gold rank. You cant just throw around ratings like that and expect it to be fair. Even if you lose less for it it's still a loss. This is the shit that creates lose streaks. No matter how little points you're gonna lose, you're gonna be on that damned streak.

That's still not good matchmaking... It's a ranked game, I shouldn't be seeing diamond players at gold rank. You cant just throw around ratings like that and expect it to be fair. Even if you lose less for it it's still a loss. This is the shit that creates lose streaks. No matter how little points you're gonna lose, you're gonna be on that damned streak.
    A lot of players with the diamond icon are no longer diamond from what I have seen. Every diamond I have gone against is actually lower than diamond by a large amount. For example, the player in OP's screenshot is actually at 2342. And MM is as fair as they and everybody else in the MM industry can make it. League and CS:GO both have similar issues from time to time.

I think most of the issue is because people don't see the hidden matchmaking rating so they see a surface number not realizing what is going on behind the scenes. I remember when SC2 first came out and people were confused about why they were matched against people too, but then people figured it out.

7+ Year Old Account
    if the diamond player kept loosing games into oblivion and reached gold rank ofc you should.

stop looking at the badge, and check their current SR.

Formerly known as Arafal

I've seen matches of 3100 averaged teams against 3900. This doesn't seem all that worth complaining about in comparison.

Deleted
    I shouldn't be seeing diamond players at gold rank.
    So you would like 15min queues better then? I don't see any problem with having gold and diamond players together. I am also low diamond and constantly seeing gold players in my games on both sides. Usually they can contribute well enough to their teams. A high gold vs low diamond really is not that much of a difference. Biggest difference there is probably that people actually know what to pick and how to counter other picks, at least usually. Sadly you see the shit picks in diamonds too. And no, I don't mean anything non meta is shit pick. People just pick those non meta picks in absolutely retarded situations and with no synergy whatsoever with team.

P.S Your problem was not enemy team's 200 higher SR. Your problem was absolutely terrible team composition; attack Symmetra, single tank, Tracer instead of S76.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post

P.S Your problem was not enemy team's 200 higher SR. Your problem was absolutely terrible team composition; attack Symmetra, single tank, Tracer instead of S76.
    We decided to say fuck it, and just play the game we want. It was clear there was no way we were going to win.

Deleted
    So you wanted to lose. Don't complain about losing then, no matter if it's against 200SR higher or lower players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Going in with a losing mentality looses you games before it even starts
    Not trying will lose you games
    Going into competitive with a defeatist attitude will lose you games
    Exactly. They didn't even try to win the game, yet bother coming here to complain about it. That's just silly. Skill difference between 2400 and 2600 SR player is practically non-existent.

15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that the rank icons (bronze, silver, gold, plat, diamond) actually mean basically nothing? You can't lose them once you have them so they only represent the highest rank someone has achieved during the season.

Someone could have a Platinum rank icon and be SR 1200.

The screenshot you posted is meaningless. Had you posted the actual matchup screen it might have had some validity.

10+ Year Old Account
    We decided to say fuck it, and just play the game we want. It was clear there was no way we were going to win.
    You can't choose to not try, and then complain that you lose... well I mean, you can, but you really shouldn't.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How else would you rank up? You must have been doing well, the game tests you by putting you against a team that is higher ranked. This is how MMR systems work.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll never climb out of your tier if you don't try when the game presents an opportunity.

If you want every game to be against players at the same rank as you, you can't go on streaks. A win streak will place you in a higher ranked game.

You also have to keep in mind that although SR is a good approximation, it is not MMR. With enough games they become very close.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2017-01-07 at 03:26 AM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you weren't able to beat a team in the next tier, maybe you're not supposed to progress further than your current tier.

This is what people don't seem to understand about matchmaking. If you want to progress higher up the ladder, you eventually have to face more challenging opponents.