Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The offer is being made to people that want the fence built, not to the prisoners that they would be taking there to build it. So reread a few things then the first line in your own comment and sit down to a yummy plate of crow.
    the prisoners can also say no. du-uh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    The point was its not slavery, which is what a lot of people think.
    Except that's exactly what your constitution says it is.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I couldn't care less. The Constitution doesn't tell me what to think.
    No, Das Kapital does

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    What you defend is slavery, not penal labor sentences. And even the 13th calls it "slavery".
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Except that's exactly what your constitution says it is.
    The caveat comes after the word involuntary servitude not after the word slavery.

That's because slavery is/was not the same thing as involuntary servitude, even back then.

This is why the SCOTUS has, on multiple occasion through the years, defined and redefined what "involuntary servitude" is in order to rule that things such as penal labor, community service, and even the draft, are Constitutional.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    The caveat comes after the word involuntary servitude not after the word slavery.
    Now your are reinterpreting the phrase's grammar to fit your argument? Just wow.

"Neither... nor... (comma) except... (comma) shall exist..."

And no one is denying penal labor as a penal sentence, what you are defending is slavery of the current penal convicts.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-01-06 at 11:45 PM.

Now your are reinterpreting the phrase's grammar to fit your argument? Just wow.

"Neither... nor... (comma) except... (comma) shall exist..."
    No.

The Supreme Court is.

You cut that part out of the post you replied to.

This is why the SCOTUS has, on multiple occasion through the years, defined and redefined what "involuntary servitude" is in order to rule that things such as penal labor, community service, and even the draft, are Constitutional.
    Its precisely how they have been able to make the rulings they have made.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Entertain me. On what do you base that?
    As a proper Marxist I'm sure you have memorised the book, but perhaps you should re-read the section on "The Production of Absolute Surplus Value".

Although, I must say I was confronted with his observations on the working day for children.

7+ Year Old Account
    What you defend is slavery, not penal labor sentences. And even the 13th calls it "slavery".
    These people need to repay their debt to society, whats wrong with a little manual labor? Not like they are going to be abused or worked to death.

Penal labor is specifically allowed under the Constitution.
    Yes, and it's a stupid idea for the reasons I mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    These people need to repay their debt to society, whats wrong with a little manual labor? Not like they are going to be abused or worked to death.
    1. That actually happens a lot.
    2. Again, you're creating monetary incentives for prisons when prisons should be corrective facilities.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    It already happens with penal labor sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Not slavery. When you're in prison for a felony you do whatever they tell you.
    Nope. That's not how it works at all. That was deemed slave labor and made illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    http://www.infowars.com/sheriff-offe...p-border-wall/

Good, it's about time prisoners start being useful instead of being useless behind bars.
    Put those criminals to work. Let them see what an honest days work is really like instead of weight lifting and smoking cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    But they don't need to be watched by armed guards, transported and held captive 100% of the time they are doing it. There is no way it is cost effective to roll them out there to do this.
    Of course it's not cost effective, prison labor often isn't, these guys are often unskilled and unmotivated laborers that do a job for a pittance. They're not going to do it perfectly in many cases. But I heard private prisons enjoy using labor as a way to make more money, which to me has pretty disturbing implications to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Awesome back to slavery./s
    Hard Labor isn't slavery. Jail/Prison isn't supposed to be a fun thing.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Of course it's not cost effective, prison labor often isn't, these guys are often unskilled and unmotivated laborers that do a job for a pittance. They're not going to do it perfectly in many cases. But I heard private prisons enjoy using labor as a way to make more money, which to me has pretty disturbing implications to be honest.
    So you are against unskilled prisoners learning a trade in construction versus having them sit around all day lifting weights and smoking cigarettes?

It's forced uncompensated labor by wards of the states. Sounds like slavery to me in every sense that matters.
    Free Room and board, college education. And you can get paid to work. Cmon...

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Free Room and board, college education. And you can get paid to work. Cmon...
    Don't forget, free TV, and free health care.

"Oh noes, those oppressed criminals, they shouldn't have to pick up a shovel and move some dirt around. OH THE HUMANITY!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Who says its uncompensated? Prisoners are always paid for their work. It may only be a few bucks a day but thats all they need since they are provided a free room, free food and water, free showers/soap, free clothing, free combs, free entertainment (TV, gym, rec yard, board games), and free healthcare. The only thing they need money for is buying snacks from the commissary.
    Okay. So if they refuse to work what will you do, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Don't forget, free TV, and free health care.

"Oh noes, those oppressed criminals, they shouldn't have to pick up a shovel and move some dirt around. OH THE HUMANITY!!!"
    Right? And lets be real, would you rather have prisoners working construction or back on the street doing who knows what; learning essentially nothing from their time in prison because people thought employing them and teaching them trade skills was considered slavery. Seriously people?

Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    Do you think prisoners in China and Russia are immune to working for their government?
    They are much less numerous for one.
    Are China and Russia the ideal you want the US to emulate?

- - - Updated - - -

The point was its not slavery, which is what a lot of people think.
    Read that part of the constituion you have quoted again.
    It does not say "having prisoners work for free is not slavery", it says "slavery is illegal except in the case of prisoners", in other words "treating prisoners as slaves is legal".