Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

What Intelligence Agencies Concluded About the Russian Attack on the U.S. Election

Putin was mad cause the US leaked that Putin had $2 billion in a Panamanian bank account and he was mad at Clinton who he thought was sure to be the winner and he wanted his buddy Trump to win.

You have to go to the link to see the evidence cause they didn't post text, it's images

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/us...ck-report.html

The office of the director of national intelligence on Friday released a long-awaited unclassified version of its report for President Obama on what the intelligence agencies said was a multifaceted attempt to influence the 2016 presidential election. The report included only the agencies’ conclusions, not the actual intelligence or technical information on which they were based.
    Here are some major findings, with comments by The New York Times. The full report is available here.
    A strong statement from three intelligence agencies.
    Photo

• In unequivocal language, the report pins responsibility for the election attack directly on President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, ruling out the possibility that it was ordered by intelligence officials or simply carried out by Kremlin supporters.
    • United States officials believe Mr. Putin wants to damage the image of American democracy to make it less attractive to Russians and their neighbors.
    _____
    Russia took sides in the U.S. election.
    Photo

• Notably, the report concludes that Russia sought not only to damage Hillary Clinton, whom it thought likely to win, but actually tried to help elect Donald J. Trump.
    • The C.I.A., F.B.I. and N.S.A. agreed on nearly everything in the report, but here we see that the N.S.A. was less certain than the other agencies that Russia was trying to help Mr. Trump.
    _____
    Putin saw this attack as payback.
    Photo

• An important insight into Mr. Putin’s thinking: He already blamed the United States for multiple campaigns against Russia, including the release of the Panama Papers, showing offshore accounts hiding the fortunes of some of his closest friends and allies, and the exposure of Russian athletes for doping. For him, this was payback.
    • There is no evidence suggesting that the United States government had a role in releasing the Panama Papers, and while American officials complained of Russian doping, there is no basis to suggest that they fabricated evidence of it.
    _____
    Putin held a grudge against Clinton.
    Photo

• The election attack was personal, the report concludes: Mr. Putin thought Mrs. Clinton had insulted him and encouraged demonstrations against him in Russia.
    _____
    Trump’s business background appealed to Putin.
    Photo

• A new observation: Mr. Putin has enjoyed close relations with some Western leaders who had personal business ties to Russia. The report suggests he may have seen Mr. Trump in a similar light, though the Trump Organization has no major projects in Russia.
    _____
    The election attack was part of a larger campaign.
    Photo

• While the intelligence agencies see the leak of hacked materials to influence the election as “unprecedented,” they view it as part of a familiar Russian information strategy using every form of contemporary media to influence public opinion.
    _____
    The hacking was done by Russian intelligence.
    Photo

• The report’s most specific finding on hacking tracks with what cybersecurity experts have said: that two different hacking groups attacked Democratic targets, one described here as “Russian intelligence,” the other more specifically as the G.R.U., Russian military intelligence.
    • Contrary to expectations, the report says nothing about the forensic analysis or American spying on which the conclusions are based.
    _____
    The key was not hacking but leaking.
    • Here the report accuses the Russian government of going beyond standard cyberespionage, in which hacking is used to get information, to an attack by releasing the information to influence the election.
    Photo

• As expected, the agencies accuse the G.R.U. of being behind Guccifer 2.0 and DCLeaks.com, two outlets that released hacked emails and documents, and with supplying hacked emails to WikiLeaks, though it does not suggest WikiLeaks editors necessarily knew the source.
    _____
    Evidence that Russia was happy Trump won.
    Photo

• The report cites positive Russian news coverage of Mr. Trump’s victory as confirmation that Mr. Putin’s government took sides in the election.
    • In the agencies’ view, the Russian government sees Mr. Trump’s victory as one in a series of wins for populist movements championed by Mr. Putin.
    _____
    This will happen again.
    Photo

• The report suggests that Mr. Putin believes the combination of hacking and leaks is a low-risk, high-impact way to influence other countries — and that Russia is likely to keep trying the same methods against the United States and other countries.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

soooo where/when did they change votes from a candidate to trump?? cause i'm not seeing that anywhere.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    soooo where/when did they change votes from a candidate to trump?? cause i'm not seeing that anywhere.
    They didn't and no-one here ever claimed that.

Next stupid question!

10+ Year Old Account
    So any real evidence of this besides conjecture? Of course Putin wanted Trump to win, but we need proof that Putin was behind it besides "United States officials believe" and "For him, this was payback."

And just a little something that popped up on a friend's Facebook page that brought up a good point. :P

https://www.facebook.com/socasusa/vi...3065655731319/

Deleted
    This entire topic is like discussing about north Korea video annihilating US.
    We don't pay people who can research this, others do and they do not want to make it public because.... even google pays more for any exploit than the US government?!

Guys, never mind that Russia and other countries including our own supposed allies have manipulated, and funded our politics and politicians for decades. Never mind that the US does exactly the same thing.

IT'S MUH FUCKING RUSSIANS EXPOSING CORRUPTION BY OUR POLITICIANS!!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

THIS IS AN ACT OF WAR!

Trump's actions in coming months will speak louder than any report.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Next stupid question!
    its not stupid is a point.. hacking the servers would not have been a big deal had the dems not been a bunch of racist hypocrites,,, didn't fall for phishing email, and secured their shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I would imagine the real evidence is in the classified version to avoid giving away the methods intelligence agencies used to figure it out.
    While that is a legitimate excuse, I feel it's a cop out in this situation.

"Trust us. We know what the Russians want and it's to destroy us!"

Going to need a lot more evidence than motive.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not stupid is a point.. hacking the servers would not have been a big deal had the dems not been a bunch of racist hypocrites,,, didn't fall for phishing email, and secured their shit.
    I would address this in parts but I'm feeling lazy.

~How were the Dems racist in this situation...?
    ~What does anything you just said have to do with your original claim that you thought people said they hacked the polls themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    While that is a legitimate excuse, I feel it's a cop out in this situation.

"Trust us. We know what the Russians want and it's to destroy us!"

Going to need a lot more evidence than motive.
    Kind of like how people trust Wikileaks?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if you were a despot who's county was on the verge of collapse. Would you rather have a flawed but experienced and intelligent adversary in Clinton or a narcissist with a two digit long IQ in Trump sitting across the table from you?
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Trump has been anything but composed with his statements and feelings and thoughts, thin as they may be. And he received the classified version of the briefing, conceivably with more specific information (i.e.: actual evidence).

If he had walked out feeling there was no evidence, his response would have probably been a predictable "US Government Pretending To Know -- They dont!!" tweet.

But it wasn't.

I would address this in parts but I'm feeling lazy.

~How were the Dems racist in this situation...?
    ~What does anything you just said have to do with your original claim that you thought people said they hacked the polls themselves?
    it was a moreabout people still claiming that Russia hacked the election.. when in fact they hacked DNC servers not the election.. as for racist calling people taco bowl engagement (implying Hispanic voters to myself and others) seems pretty raciest to me.

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5492

Feel free to read all the other emails.

Ahhh you Trumpsters. Keep fighting the good fight.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

it was a moreabout people still claiming that Russia hacked the election.. when in fact they hacked DNC servers not the election.. as for racist calling people taco bowl engagement (implying Hispanic voters to myself and others) seems pretty raciest to me.

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5492

Feel free to read all the other emails.
    Rebecca Christopher apparently being the DNC now.

- - - Updated - - -

That email isn't even racist. Its pretty clearly a dig at Trump's taco bowl "I love the hispanics" tweet from the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Ahhh you Trumpsters. Keep fighting the good fight.
    Yep, and you "I'm With Her" types keep correcting the record and furiously attempt to cover up the DNC and Hillary Clinton rigging the election.

I understand your skepticism, as I share it. There's just probably never going to be a satisfactory explanation for this out of necessity, so we're basically stuck just blindly trusting the government got it right. At the same time, I don't think I could evaluate evidence of a hacker's identity anyway, since I imagine it requires a lot of rather specific knowledge of computer functioning that I don't possess.
    Andrew Auernheimer is a good start.

10+ Year Old Account
    WikiLeaks keeps right on not delivering anything worth caring about.
    They've done some good work but I am skeptical of them now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account

Next stupid question!
    How does stealing podestas emails = hacking the election? "those damn uneducated trump voters knew too much!"