Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Judge who wore a "Make America Great Again" hat into the courtroom is banned

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ned-cases.html

A Hamilton judge who wore a “Make America Great Again” hat to court the day after the U.S. election and declared his support for president-elect Donald Trump is no longer hearing cases.

Justice Bernd Zabel, appointed to the bench in 1990, stopped being assigned new cases on Dec. 21, 2016, a spokeswoman for the Ontario Court of Justice told the Star in a brief statement Thursday.

“I am not able to provide other details. The Chief Justice is not able to comment further on this matter,” said spokeswoman Kate Andrew.

As first reported by The Globe and Mail, Zabel showed up for court the morning after the Nov. 8 election wearing a red “Make America Great Again” ball cap. The Globe reported he then placed the hat on the bench in front of him. Critics said this showed a lack of impartiality, crucial to the role of a judge.

Almost a week later, Zabel apologized for wearing the hat, acknowledging in court that it was a “lapse in judgment” and “a breach of the principles of judicial office.” He said it was his attempt at humour.

“This gesture was not intended in any way as a political statement or endorsement of any political views, and, in particular, the views and comments of Donald Trump. I very much regret that it has been taken as such,” he said.

But the sincerity of his apology came into question when the Star obtained a transcript showing that Zabel explicitly said he supported Trump in court on Nov. 9.

“Brief appearance with the hat. Pissed off the rest of the judges because they all voted for Hillary, so. I was the only Trump supporter up there but that’s OK,” Zabel said just before court closed, according to the certified transcript.

Following the reports of Zabel wearing the hat, a number of individuals and organizations, including the Criminal Lawyers’ Association, made formal complaints about the judge to the Ontario Judicial Council, which has the power to investigate judges’ conduct and suspend them or recommend to the Attorney General that they be removed from office.

The council has yet to indicate the outcome of those complaints.

“It’s clear that the Office of the Chief Justice has taken the complaints seriously,” said lawyer Daniel Brown, a Toronto director of the CLA.

“It’s an appropriate response given the nature of the complaints and should continue until a full investigation is complete.”

Counsel with cases before a judge who’s no longer presiding in court must wait for direction from the Crown’s office, Peter Boushy, a Hamilton defence lawyer noted, but declined to speak specifically about the Zabel matter.

A case could be reheard or continue with another judge handling the proceedings, Boushy said.

All complaints filed to the Ontario Judicial Council are assigned to a two-person subcommittee made up of a judge and a community member for a private investigation.

The resulting report is then put before a four-person panel for review.

From there, the complaint can be dismissed, referred to the Chief Justice of Ontario (who will speak to the judge), or examined in a formal public hearing.

There’s no timeline for when the panel must reach a decision.

If a judge is found to have committed professional misconduct by the judicial council, possible sanctions include a reprimand, suspension or recommendation to the Attorney General that the judge be removed from office.
    Great to see. Let's face it. We have high standards for our judges that this person simply doesn't make the cut.

Good. People with that little common sense shouldn't be passing judgement on anyone else.

I don't really get the big deal about it. Yeah he made a minor mistake and will likely get a reprimand for it since he can't show bias in the courtroom.

Why is this news? Is it just the power of the emperor of mankind?

10+ Year Old Account
    So much for being impartial.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Definitely a breach of being an impartial judge. This should definitely be a suspension/termination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Judges should be impartial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ned-cases.html

Great to see. Let's face it. We have high standards for our judges that this person simply doesn't make the cut.
    Read it again, you clearly didnt read it well enough to learn where this happened.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Deleted
    nothing to see here, I'm sure the same would happen if he rolled up with an anarcho crust punk antifa patch on his robes. keep your political affiliations away from the judicial system, idiot.

Deleted
    I always thought america was the land of freedom and stuff and people are allowed to wear what they want. I really like those funny people in walmart pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We really should go back to requiring judges to wear ridiculous wigs.
    Those looked funny atleast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    I always thought america was the land of freedom and stuff and people are allowed to wear what they want. I really like those funny people in walmart pictures
    Great job reading the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor Canadians firing each other over hats.

Deleted
    I always thought Canada was a nice country, but it turns out they are banning people for wearing clothes they like

I always liked Canada, because of many reasons I guess

Deleted
    I always thought america was the land of freedom and stuff and people are allowed to wear what they want.
    This is Canada, which is ruled by the so-called "liberals" -- who aren't really liberal at all, as we can see every day. Your average leftist liberal is in reality a nazi-grade fascist and a totalitarist who desecrates the whole meaning of the word "liberal".

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-01-07 at 06:41 PM.

Wait this is even dumber then I first thought... look I get you can't have any political items in the courts but how does a Trump hate show bias in Canada...

Look the guy made a mistake and will get a reprimand but this just so stupid.

I am at the point were I am starting to believe that democrats think that saying Trump three times in a mirror will summon him. Guys hes not actually the god emperor...at least not yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's entirely normal for there to be a ton of rules pertaining to judicial conduct in order to maintain a reasonable standard of impartiality.
    but I don't understand.

Trump is not the prime minister of canada. That is Justin Tradeua.

I think the canadians who banned the judge are racist towards Trump. If the judge had a Shinzo Abe cap on everything would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    This is Canada, which is ruled by the so-called "liberals" -- who aren't really liberal at all, as we can see every day. Your average leftist liberal is in reality a nazi-grade fascist and a totalitarist who desecrates the whole meaning of the word "liberal".
    Hey now no need to bad mouth Nazi's lets not say things we can't take back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    wait so left is right and right is left?

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI, he got suspended for publicly exhibiting a biased position on duty.

Same thing if he wore a "I'm with Her" cap or anything, it would've been the same consequences. It's one thing to discuss with colleagues and another to go against the rules.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

but I don't understand.

Trump is not the prime minister of canada. That is Justin Tradeua.

I think the canadians who banned the judge are racist towards Trump. If the judge had a Shinzo Abe cap on everything would be cool.
    They are not racist it is simply one of the rules of being a judge. He isn't allowed to bring that into the court room. It also is being over blow for a sensationalist article the guy is going to be reprimanded a bit then be back at his job in a week or two.