Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    Breaking News.

uninformed people are confused by how price structure works. Luxury items are expensive. You are not going to get good sushi for the price of a mc donalds menu, because you pay for higher quality food and you actually do pay a person who can prepare quality food instead of a minimum wage student who flips burger. shocker.

What is so luxurious about a handful of rice grains, avocado and a piece of seaweed?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking News.

uninformed people are confused by how price structure works. Luxury items are expensive. You are not going to get good sushi for the price of a mc donalds menu, because you pay for higher quality food and you actually do pay a person who can prepare quality food instead of a minimum wage student who flips burger. shocker.
    I find it ironic you say "Uninformed people" yet call Sushi a Luxury Item, when it is literally a roadside snackfood in Japan. Sure Restaurants can make it all Jazzy and mark the price up, but you can also do that with Burgers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    What is so luxurious about a handful of rice grains, avocado and a piece of seaweed?
    It's "Ethnicity"

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yelp, food awards, magazines all disagree. Don't assume we all live where you do.
    lol. Have you ever objectively read Yelp reviews? /my water isn't full, food was good, but my water isn't full. 1 star. In other words, does not differentiate service versus food. I'm on the food side. You'll see the same thing on recipes, if you should look online. Comment: I tried this, but I didn't have chicken stock so I used water, and I didn't have kale so I used regular lettuce, and I didn't have cumin so I used chili powder, and... (so on). It wasn't good. 1 star.

As for awards and magizines... the politics of that is fun. That's a sarcastic "fun."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Only a total idiot would pay $100 for a meal
    You drive a track car with expensive tires, everything is relative.
    Also sushi is disgusting.

Deleted
    oh for crying out loud you can't be for real

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I find it ironic you say "Uninformed people" yet call Sushi a Luxury Item, when it is literally a roadside snackfood in Japan. Sure Restaurants can make it all Jazzy and mark the price up, but you can also do that with Burgers.
    you are free to find things ironic. doesn't mean you are right or that it holds any value though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you are free to find things ironic. doesn't mean you are right or that it holds any value though.
    Considering I made Sushi often for a portion of my life. I'd say that it has much more Value than what you said.

Sushi is pretty cheap, you're linking special rolls. Yes, special rolls are more expensive.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Japanese folk aren't nomming on sushi all day. Let's talk about the broth and noodle portion of a similar Japanese menu, please.
    And about the other things you can do with rice! Omurice....Japanese curry....Donburi....

I am hungry now.

Maybe you're just too poor for Sushi?

- - - Updated - - -

Fish. You're forgetting the entire point.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Those prices are cheap...way more expensive around here. It's a disgrace of a food to be honest.

For sushi I usually just have:

Scallop and salmon. Maybe tuna but not often.

For rolls I get:

Eel&avacado rolls
    California rolls

There's a buffet near me that's all you can eat for 12$. They have all sorts of shit including a bunch of sushi and shit I've never even seen. The quality to me seems great as well so if I ever really want sushi I just go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    And about the other things you can do with rice! Omurice....Japanese curry....Donburi....

I am hungry now.
    A habit I learned in Thailand... I always start a batch of rice in my rice cooker when I go to bed. Useful for many dishes, day or two old. Any kind of curry or stir fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    These places in the West aren't as thorough as in Japan. Let's be real.
    I'm sure most aren't but if they are its worth the price to me. All I know is im dieing for some sushi.

Deleted
    Considering I made Sushi often for a portion of my life. I'd say that it has much more Value than what you said.
    I agree. you would say that.
    so we are back where we started. yay.

I agree. you would say that.
    so we are back where we started. yay.
    I can give you a packet of slush that contains all of the nutrients you need for a day.

Or... you can get something nice. You're not paying for the nutrients. You're paying for a lot more if you choose to eat out.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair comparing prices of Consumable vs Clothing is kind of silly.
    Not really. Just comparing wasteful spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I can give you a packet of slush that contains all of the nutrients you need for a day.

Or... you can get something nice. You're not paying for the nutrients. You're paying for a lot more if you choose to eat out.
    exactly.

I don't understand how some people fail to see pricing structure. Sure there are things that are actually overpriced like beats by Dr. Dre, but some people only value food in what the food actually costs and fail to see that they need to pay the people that prepare the food, they pay the locality and all that stuff that adds up to the cost of preparing that food.

exactly.

I don't understand how some people fail to see pricing structure. Sure there are things that are actually overpriced like beats by Dr. Dre, but some people only value food in what the food actually costs and fail to see that they need to pay the people that prepare the food, they pay the locality and all that stuff that adds up to the cost of preparing that food.
    Simple example: One of my roommates is a regional manager at a well-known chain. The cups for soda cost $0.09 as material. They charge $2.50 for the cup. The profit goes to the employees, lease, equipment (you'd not imagine how often things break), utilities, advertising, and more. The profit also makes up for items that don't have such a margin.

In short: you want a steak? You know where the grocery store is, and can look up a dozen ways to cook it online. You want a STEAK? It's at a place with fine decorating, servers dressed in formal wear, darkly stained wood at the bar and booths, and open kitchen where you can see the cooks in full chef regalia, gentle music playing. The former: awesome, I can do that; I think 1lb of New York Strip is about $20 right now at retail. The latter: Ok, now I'm also paying for all these people and the ambience for a power dinner or romantic date. Whatever, the value added is $40, so you're now paying $60 for the entire package.

Blehk

7+ Year Old Account
    It wouldnt be too much if people normally ordered just one piece but you have to order 4 or 5 to make a meal and that's way too much when you can go to Cheesecake Factory and get a giant bowl of Spaghetti for like $12
    That's a very poor comparison given that I don't enjoy the food at Cheesecake Factory nearly as much (not even in the same universe) as I do Sushi.