Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I work very closely with one of the companies that operates both in Norway and on the West coast of Canada (Vancouver island, specifically); I have no vested interest in the sale of their product, but if you look at the plain figures, the facts speak for themselves; farmed salmon is better for you than wild salmon.

The broods are carefully bred, grown, and graded. The water in which they live is ocean water, they are held in stadium-sized chain pens off-shore; the water is tested by both the government and a private thrid party, to measure contaminants and monitor for harmful microorganisms. The fish itself is similarly tested - I know, because the couriers pick up these samples from our company's warehouse. They are fed a specialized diet, free of hormones and artificial fillers - as I understand it, they're the ground up remnants of fish utilized for human consumption, such as anchovies, herring or sardines; the things they'd eat in the wild, essentially.

Farmed salmon shows far lower mercury levels than wild salmon (wild is about 300% of farmed's levels.) It also has much higher omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and in general, is of a standardized quality. (Farmed salmon is professionally graded; wild is not.)

I know I sound like a shill for the farmed salmon industry, but people can do the research themselves; I'm just putting some facts out there to consider.
    Was your take away from my post that I was against farmed salmon? I'm most definitely not. If you followed the thread you would observe that I was commenting on the means of farming fish are already improving; I was merely providing some info with regards to the post I quoted.

With that said... there is farmed salmon and there is farmed salmon. I have sampled both wild Atlantic salmon and the Norwegian Atlantic salmon that comes from farms : I couldn't tell the difference. The fat content, texture, and flavor was the same. Now, salmon from the more fresh water farms, or farms that use small pens... looking at the steaks you can see the difference in the fat content alone, the texture of the meat was considerably different and the flavor in the fish coming from a more fresh water farm was significantly less than that coming from an fish farmed in the open ocean. Open ocean salmon definitely tastes better than salmon coming fresh water or small pen fish farms. Though, maybe, this is similar to the steak thread where some people think a well done steak tastes good.

At least on the eastern parts of the world it's not any more overpriced as any other restaurant food. If you look at the cost of the ingredients alone, what proper restaurant food isn't overpriced in the sense that the local market sells them cheaper?
    On a side note, what comes to tuna in most low to mid range sushi places, the price tag is not the issue but the immensely poor value for the money spent.

and overrated

im really trying to like sushi but i cant

its barely edible

idk why people love it so much

Deleted
    Isn't sushi for the Japanese and hipsters?

I tried sushi a few times but found it overrated and not very filling. Curry FTW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    You advertise unhealthy amounts of nourishment. Stop this. What you criticize here is meant for a family not for you alone - please try look up for healthy lifestyle.
    Apparently a healthy lifestyle involves walking around with hunger pangs and a growling belly all the time according to some of you posters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Apparently a healthy lifestyle involves walking around with hunger pangs and a growling belly all the time according to some of you posters
    Well you yourself admitted you're overweight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Farmed salmon shows far lower mercury levels than wild salmon (wild is about 300% of farmed's levels.) It also has much higher omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and in general, is of a standardized quality. (Farmed salmon is professionally graded; wild is not.)

I know I sound like a shill for the farmed salmon industry, but people can do the research themselves; I'm just putting some facts out there to consider.
    Farmed salmon flesh is also grey so they put pink dye in it or nobody would buy it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Just by 30 to 40 pounds. No big deal. Besides Id rather be fat and happy, than thin and miserable because I have to make my lifestyle so shitty to maintain a thin body

So is the Rock.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    So is the Rock.
    I don't think Orlong is muscle

I don't think Orlong is muscle
    We will prbly never know. But now I'm hungry. brb turkey sandwich time.

Wild Salmon vs Farmed Salmon
    Spoiler: 
    1. Nutritional content
    There are some key nutritional differences between wild and farmed salmon, according to USDA data. A small fillet of wild salmon has 131 fewer calories and half the fat content of the same amount of farmed salmon. And although farmed salmon may have slightly more omega-3 fatty acids, it also has 20.5 percent more saturated fat content — and that’s fat you do not want.

The bottom line: Wild salmon gets the edge for having fewer calories and less saturated fat.
    “If you want to get the many health benefits fish such as salmon provide, your best bet is to keep it wild.”

2. Risky pollutants
    Persistent organic pollutants (POPs for short) sound dangerous. They are. POPs have been linked to several diseases, including type 2 diabetes and obesity. Evidence suggests obesity might be even more of a risk factor for diabetes when POPs are present in your body. And specific types of POPs increase the risk of stroke in women. Why does this matter? Because PCB (one type of POP) levels are five to 10 times higher in farmed fish than in wild fish.

The bottom line: Wild salmon wins here, hands down.

3. Cancer-causing chemicals
    In the wild vs. farmed debate, this is a tricky issue. Although both offer omega-3 fatty acids, eating large amounts of either type of fish to get their full benefits could expose you to cancer-causing chemicals. These chemicals come from the potentially polluted water fish swim in. That’s why your omega-3 sources need to be broad, with fish as only one piece of the puzzle. However, one study does conclude: “The benefit-risk ratio for carcinogens and noncarcinogens is significantly greater for wild salmon than for farmed salmon.”

5. Concern about antibiotics
    This was a big source of debate in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when Chilean salmon imports to Japan had higher antibiotic amounts than allowed under regulations. The concern: Too much exposure to antibiotics could lead to resistance to their effects. Antibiotic use in farmed fish is said to have been reduced, but it is unclear just how much use is still occuring.

The bottom line: Farmed salmon comes with uncertainty about antibiotic use. Wild salmon does not.

Both farmed and wild salmon have nutrients we all need. But it is becoming clearer that the risks associated with farmed fish are higher than concerns about wild fish. If you want to get the many health benefits fish such as salmon provide, your best bet is to keep it wild.

The difference between Wild and Farmed

---------------------

I'll stick to wild salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    This woman is a terrible host holy shit... get a proper food criitc.

Yeah, it's not cheap. The place I like for lunch has a two roll, soup, and salad combo for ~$20 though, which is pretty solid for decent sushi.

Catching big fish of high quality, maintaining good handling practices for sterility, and hiring someone to cut appropriately ain't cheap, as it turns out.

One should just learn how to make sushi themselves and buy then ingredients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Opinion on food or price? Cause it seems ur just complaining about the price.
    No I wanna know why it's so expensive when you can get more value elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    No, You fail to understand the mark up people put on Sushi for no other reason than "It's Exotic" whereas it is just finger Food. As I said I was a Chef, I balanced Menus. Sushi is way overpriced.
    Then I am wrong. Sushi is overpriced. People should stop buying it.

Would that make you happy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't sushi for the Japanese and hipsters?

I tried sushi a few times but found it overrated and not very filling. Curry FTW
    Wow this is such a racist thing to say.

Over here people actually enjoy cuisines from different country and appreciate them. Can't believe someone is calling people who enjoy sushi hipsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been trying to learn to do it myself, but I'm just terrible. I have access to so many great ingredients, but just not a skill I have been able to develop. Looks like I am stuck with the price of going out, but well worth the cost.

Deleted
    I haven't been back for sushi since that incident with my goldfish and bowl on the hotplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You shouldn't tell someone else how to live their lives.
    Oh the Irony.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.