Thread: hdd issue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Well, to update on this:
    after the format, the new partition wasn't 100% free space (416gb free out of 425gb). Bad sectors populating that space?
    No issues so far, installed games into the hdd and tested, no freezes and hiccups (so far).
    With my luck, managed to get a used 500gb hdd for free today, probably from the same time as mine but with a lower usage (crystal disk info says my disk has had 18.6k hours uptime, the "new" one has 8k). So even if my hdd fails completely, I have a replacement for it. But until then I'll fill the hdd with data that can be lost (games and junk).
    So great, your current bad sectors are blocked off and not being used. However, once you have some bad sectors, in my experience, more are going to crop up sooner rather than later. As soon as you drop data in to one of those new bad sectors, you are going to start having the same issues you already had all over again. Best bet is to just start using the other one now and save yourself the frustration. Obviously you just don't listen to advice you asked for and do your own thing anyway though, so good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    So even if my hdd fails completely, I have a replacement for it.
    While this is all well and good... I'd ditch it anyway.

1) You're going to waste the time spent loading stuff, and then loading it again once it fails.
    2) Failing drives, even if the sectors are marked, often run slower.
    3) Failing drives, even if they aren't being actively used, can cause problems, slowness, and crashes on a system, even if Windows is on a different drive.

I mean, really, what are you 'saving' by using it until its dead dead, when you have a replacement ready to go right now? There's literally almost no reason to bother with the hassle.
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-01-09 at 11:19 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

maybe Data Rescue 4, Do Your Data Recovery or R-Studio? My brother suggested finding recovery software so I started looking, most of what I found would only recover photos not documents. Long story short, found Disk Drill and purchased it after seeing it would recover documents. It worked like a charm and I'm my wife's hero for saving the day. This device worked exactly as advertised, I was able to recover just about everything I lost)
    Last edited by duke dumont; 2017-05-28 at 01:38 PM.

It's time for another reminder about the importance of backup.

Infracted - Necro - Closing thread
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-10-11 at 10:04 AM.