Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Two sunders if you watched the video.
    I mean as far as the 'magical sunder' number goes it seemed to vary from server to server and from guild to guild. My guild was 3 sunders and others were 5 sunders. I don't remember when sunder got changed from stacking up to 5 to only having a 3 cap but I do remember the 5 stacks at least being around for MC/BWL.

Deleted
    The lack of group finder and cross realm made wow great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipala View Post
    Yes because sitting in trade for hours was sooo fun. I'm not the biggest fan of cross-realm but nothing wrong with group finder to me.

So did Paladins. If you ran out of mana then that means you spent mana on expensive abilities. Like as a Ret Paladin I could limit myself to Seal of Command Rank 1 which still did good damage except for Judement. But if you're low on mana then you aren't Judging anyway. As a healer it's required to use less powerful but mana efficient lower rank heals. That's mana management. Generally if you ran out of mana that means you or the raid screwed up at some point.

Why is it that people who never played vanilla will accuse others of not playing Vanilla? Is this a thing now?

Two sunders if you watched the video.

Unless you ran players for a lava run to get them attuned.

There were no tokens back then.

Whatever sure. Have fun with your raging insanity.
    Stopped reading at the bolded part, Nostalrius must be fun.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing.

10char

Deleted
    Why is it that people who never played vanilla will accuse others of not playing Vanilla? Is this a thing now?
    Pathetic right?

People who obviously have no clue what they're talking about and basically base their entire argument on made up shit somehow always end up suggesting that you didn't play back then. There's no talking to these people.

I honestly don't know what kind of life these people lead that makes it fun for them to spread misinformation in a topic that doesn't concern them.

Here's every anti-classic-server person ever:
    1. Rose tinted goggles (EVERYTHING in vanilla was shit and if you think otherwise it's just nostalgia/longing back for that first time experience)
    2. You probably didn't even play back then
    3. All those people on the private servers just play there because it's free

And why? God knows why. If they don't like classic, nobody forces them to play it. But somehow they're really really really really really concerned with stopping others from having those servers and playing on them as well.

It's not enough that they can't enjoy it, everybody else must not be allowed to, either.

Also rose tinted goggles.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    The majority are most likely veteran players. Even if new players prefer vanilla over retail, you just can't say its only because its new.
    Would be interesting to know but is one of those things that we will never really know.. And well way back then it was new to a lot of people I know it was for me when I started playing in 2006..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-01-09 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    So why are people still playing it???
    Cause it evolved into something better? I literally wrote it in the following sentence, its like asking why did the humans evolve, we were fine as monkeys eating each others fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    Pathetic right?

People who obviously have no clue what they're talking about and basically base their entire argument on made up shit somehow always end up suggesting that you didn't play back then. There's no talking to these people.

I honestly don't know what kind of life these people lead that makes it fun for them to spread misinformation in a topic that doesn't concern them.

1. Rose tinted goggles (EVERYTHING in vanilla was shit and if you think otherwise it's just nostalgia/longing back for that first time experience)

And why? God knows why. If they don't like classic, nobody forces them to play it. But somehow they're really really really really really concerned with stopping others from having those servers and playing on them as well.

It's not enough that they can't enjoy it, everybody else must not be allowed to, either.

And what kind of proof would you like that I played Vanilla and have an account that started Day 1 of Vanilla and for bonus points can also show it has been active from Vanilla til now. I only missed out on the statue they gave Vanilla-WoD subbed players because I switched from one account to my 2nd.

You claim this topic 'does not concern them' so your goal is to have an echo-chamber of like minded pro-Vanilla people yes? What a shocker.

Deleted
    You actually had to work hard to earn things and it gave a sense of achievement, now everything is simplified and noob friendly, there's no learning curve anymore...

Deleted
    - Social Aspect
    - Felt like an MMO
    - Slower pace

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    Pathetic right?

Tell me, how much of Vanila did you experience? As the person you quoted states he played a Ret paladin which by itself is a statement on how clueless he is regarding Vanila. I'm open to conversation I don't bash you or him for liking something I'm discussing the variant where you have a evolved game where you have Vanila +12 years added experience into the game into what makes it today. To add more to your "oh he said I didn't play back then so he hasn't played" argument I'll specifically add a screenshot of my first sub and my reccuring subs trough Vanila can you? Not Nostalrius or whatever private server, the actual game in its actual state back then.
    Last edited by PewPewArrowz; 2017-01-09 at 06:40 AM.

Things were earned, not provided.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    what most people remember about vanilla, or BC, or wrath or whenever they started playing isn't the game experience itself; the game today is unarguably better in just about every way, from class mechanics to fight design to art quality
    Thank you for being the high authority on this. Clearly you know more than any of us on any wow related subject.

If YOU say that I can no longer enjoy the classic version of WoW, who am I to disagree, right? After all, Psy. Dr. Cheze has, in years of extensive research, detected that there is no way that anybody genuinely liked classic wow for what it is (and not just for the first time experience) and with this we can finally end all debates about it.

Thank you Cheze.

Is classic WoW better than current WoW? It depends on what you want. Classic WoW was very tedious. Travelling from one point to another took a long time, leveling in general took a very long time, doing anything in the game took a long time. Difficulty wasn't higher than today but you needed to farm gear. If you look at the old mechanics you'll see that they're very basic and simple that didn't need a lot of coordination but needed the right gear.

A big difference apart from the hughe timesink it was and what isn't accepted anymore today as we can see with legion and AP, was that classic forced players to be social. Rare and elite mobs were really dangerous so that you needed a group to kill them. By forcing you to get into a group you automatically found people to become friends with and later on do dungeons or even raids.

Later on, even before BC you had the problem that a lot of players were max level and you couldn't really find people to play with while leveling which got worse over time. Verterans stopped playing, new friendships didn't develop while leveling and soon you had a playerbase at max level that wasn't social and didn't know each other. That was the reason they had to implement something like LFD or LFR, make leveling trivial and add crossrealms.

Because of the social aspect classic WoW was a great game and always will be remembered as a great game but later on it just didn't work because it's players changed. Legion is a better game overall but lacks the social aspect from classic WoW and there's no easy fix to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    what most people remember about vanilla, or BC, or wrath or whenever they started playing isn't the game experience itself; the game today is unarguably better in just about every way, from class mechanics to fight design to art quality
    Class mechanics... sure. Ret Paladins aren't there yet still after all these years, but better than Vanilla. Fight design not so much, cause in my opinion Uldaur was the best raid ever with a hard mode that you had to trigger for each boss. That was epic. Art design is kinda lol? I like better in game art, but that's not going to make me more likely or less likely to play your game. I agree with GradeAUnderA here where I don't care about graphics when the gameplay sucks.

But the core element people keep overlooking is gameplay. Modern WoW's gameplay really sucks, and basically focuses on grinding. Vanilla WoW had difficulty, and really forced you to think about how you approached everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    And what kind of proof would you like that I played Vanilla and have an account that started Day 1 of Vanilla and for bonus points can also show it has been active from Vanilla til now. I only missed out on the statue they gave Vanilla-WoD subbed players because I switched from one account to my 2nd.
    On my account I have an armor set you can't acquire anymore called SoulForge. Back in Vanilla you can upgrade your dungeon sets to a higher level with some nice stat boosts. I think in Cata they removed it and now you get transmog gear that looks like it from that monthly fair. That or have the corrupt ashbringer which is extremely hard to get your hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by PewPewArrowz View Post
    Cause it evolved into something better? I literally wrote it in the following sentence, its like asking why did the humans evolve, we were fine as monkeys eating each others fleas.
    My question was why are people still playing vanilla, if its so bad, like you claim?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    No one is playing it anymore. It ended back in 2006. It's 2017 now.
    They are, you lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

FACTS OF VANILLA WOW:
    Vanilla was good for its time. You need to be reminded that there was only a handful and NO JOKE a handful of mmos out. They were also VERY VERY grindy as devs didnt know what was good gameplay mechanics to justify a sub aswell lack of technology to the content worth the sub. When WOW was released it was easy compared to the other mmos. It was also very well designed, it took the best of other mmos at the time made them more accessible and improved. WOW did what other mmos did but better. And to top it all off, it looked GREAT for its time and could be played on almost all other PCs. The game had a very involved community due to the games grindy nature, hard content that MUST be downed to get to the next tiers. NO LFR, NO LFG, just your server and you needing 15 people to get thru Strat. All this hard content made players work together to get to the next teir.

OPINONS OF VANILLA:
    To say that WOW was better back then compared to now, is false in many ways. For one look at class design. ALOT of specs for classes were useless and had almost ZERO utility for the raid, party, pvp or just sucked flat out. Are you a pally and want to be Ret? Fuck that, your ass is healing. Alot of classes were like this, arcane mages didnt get useful until Wrath for instance.

Raiding in vanilla was GREAT! No raiding was hell. Tons of guilds fell apart due to loot being ninjaed, or given to people who didnt need it not to mention just the fact that it took 40 people to kill bosses and only dropped 5-8 pieces of loot. And thats being generous with the loot. Raiders had to be attuned to the raids which involved lengthy rep/item grinds. Long quest chains that required 15 man groups to go do dungeons and such. Not many people even raided due to the amount of time it needed to just get attuned. If it takes you 15+ hours to enter one raid tier past making it to max level then its a flaw. Especially by today's standards of mmos.

Conclusion
    Vanilla was great for its time but those days are done. With all the mmos out today aswell as today's generation of gamers, WOW had to evolve to survive and stay around. Today every spec is useful unless you wanna be cutting edge mythic but even then only a couple specs arent played as much. The story telling is 100000x better, questing is more organic and less grindy. You can get into raid very quicky (Im not counting LFR), just hit max level get that ilvl up and boom EN here I come. Not taking away others opinions but we have to identify fact from rose tinted pictures thats all.

On my account I have an armor set you can't acquire anymore called SoulForge. Back in Vanilla you can upgrade your dungeon sets to a higher level with some nice stat boosts. I think in Cata they removed it and now you get transmog gear that looks like it from that monthly fair. That or have the corrupt ashbringer which is extremely hard to get your hands on.
    I know I have some of the PvP titles they put in Vanilla and some of the tabards. But I seem to remember them adding the titles back again so if that is true then that wouldn't work. The Feat of Strength achievements only really started in TBC so those wouldn't help either. I'm kinda stumped here on what proof there is that anyone could show.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipala View Post
    Group finder is the single best addition they have made to the game.

Vanilla and tBC were a real hassle if you liked running dungeons, spending hours at a time, spammin trade and using /who to whisper everyone in your level range was not fun, it didn't foster community, it was just an annoying stumbling block that kept you away from doing the thing you wanted to do.