Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a vanilla zealot make up things...
    What "things" got made up?

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a vanilla zealot make up things...
    Haha you got that right

Deleted
    Slower pace of the game overall opened more room for social interaction which made a sense of warm, tight-knit community

40 man raids and not shit catering to 30 hour/week casuals....

if you wanted to pvp titles, it was day and night... if you wanted pve fun times, it was grind after raid after grind after grind after raid

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Haha you got that right
    Oh Kyanion ... you :P

Some days we agree, some days you give me a wedgie ....

You post in this type of thread continuously. There exists other threads on this forum, just sayin'.

Otherwise, do you truly disagree with everything I say? (all the time?)

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

if you wanted to pvp titles, it was day and night... if you wanted pve fun times, it was grind after raid after grind after grind after raid
    You DO know less people were doing raids in Vanilla than TBC/WotLK and so on. That means, guess what, more people were casuals in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    What "things" got made up?
    First thing that comes to mind is numbers...exaggerating how popular private servers were. Someone would say they had so many millions of users...then numbers were shown they weren't true.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

I know right, better to play raids dictated by addon's, telling you everything. What to do, minute by minute, second by second, where to stand. Ohh.. So challenging.

First thing that comes to mind is numbers...exaggerating how popular private servers were. Someone would say they had so many millions of users...then numbers were shown they weren't true.
    Oh don't worry, soon you'll be educated on how Vanilla posed more of a challenge in all facets of the game. Some of them think Vanilla raiding is harder than current raiding yet they always compare it to LFR.

Oh don't worry, soon you'll be educated on how Vanilla posed more of a challenge in all facets of the game. Some of them think Vanilla raiding is harder than current raiding yet they always compare it to LFR.
    Naturally, the addon's make the game harder. Go on.

- - - Updated - - -

You DO know less people were doing raids in Vanilla than TBC/WotLK and so on. That means, guess what, more people were casuals in Vanilla.
    Sure there were less doing raids in Vanilla. Less in TBC & WotLK as well too, while your at it, compared to easy fest that is Cataclysm+.

Nowadays, people are just given Epics and Legendaries.. but we know that was not always the case. People earned what they had then; also not the case now.

It's kind of fun when you earn stuff, IMO. The lack of retention after an official expansion is not surprising. There isn't much to see. When someone does see it? Done. /move-on

Good for initial sales, but bad for everyone else looking for content later. No content for 6 months? Well revenue was bad, sorry. No funding.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Machine;45176555]Slower pace of the game overall opened more room for social interaction which made a sense of warm, tight-knit community[/QUOTE]

Agree to the fullest! Others just don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    I already had my share of these posts, ya know this thread is nothing different than the other threads of this same kind, so is not informative to me ie I am not going to learn something from it, but thank you. Thanks for your bump btw, I miss the thread in the front page.
    I value your input, and thank you for nostalgia this page on the front page :-)
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-03-30 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Nostalgia was absent! changed missing to nostalgia in the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Private servers being a mess is a gross generalization, there several decent ones, decent as in the gaming service they provide, not going to other subjective things that will always be shady unless provided by the company itself.

Despite this, a lot would glady pay indeed, hell a lot pay to keep the pservers alive. I would glady play, i would love to have a wow subscription that would allow me to play with old friends and guildies from time to time in retail, while doing my thing in the classic realm.
    It's not without the scope of many players to PAY to keep Blizzard servers alive.

I would love to have a Legacy subscription on BattleNet to keep what I do in game, "saved". Essestially, not too difficult for those against to understand. Some find it difficult.

" LFM ":

Imagine when 1 single mob could end you, just because mana pools were drained instantly, or the mob simply resisted all your spells. What do you do? You find other people in the same situation. In classic wow, you would meet other players and get to know them all the time, as soloing elites and many quests just wasn't an option. After WOTLK I have barely made any new in-game friends at all.

"LFM Hogger" I really miss this.

Class-specific quests:

I have always loved the universe in wow. For me, doing the class-quests was the best thing ever. Totem-quests for shamans, poison-quests for rogues, healing-quests for priests, VW-quest for warlocks etc. Doing these class-specific quests got me all fired up and excited because you got to know your class REALLY good. The RP-value was insanely good as well. In retail these details are forgotten. And it makes me sad, since it's one of my greatest memories in the game.

Exploration:

In vanilla and TBC, exploring certain areas were dangerous. Like, really dangerous. Elites crawling all over the place, but the mystery pushed you onward. Even if it ment dying and running all over the map just to ress and die instantly again. You would tell your friends about the amazing place you found, or that special rare-elite you need help with. That sensation of mystery and excitement is nowhere to be found in retail. Now you explore areas to get some stupid achievment and that's it.

---

There are many more things I could come up with, but these are the things I remember best. Meh.

I don't know about vanilla but later on raids were cleared much faster than they are today

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I don't know about vanilla but later on raids were cleared much faster than they are today
    Examples?

Because the one i remember being iconic, like Kil'jaeden or Arthas that was so not the case.

Nothing made it better. It's all nostalgia. If you took someone that's never played WoW and let them play Vanilla and Legion, 100% of the time that person would choose Legion.

There may be a few aspects of Vanilla that are "better" than Legion, but they're far outweighed by the dozens of other ways in which it's just objectively inferior in every way.

Playing both games at the same time, I can easily say how different they are. I like that you don't get your goals appointed to you in vanilla, your basically being dropped in a huge open world where you have to figure out everything yourself of how you want to progress. The whole leveling process is a lot less streamlined, so the world feels a lot more open and immersive where you can find extra quests or rares if you go out of your way. I also don't use any addons and its actually pretty fun to figure out all the locations yourself without having to look it up. Leveling in retail is not even a thing, its focus lies solely on the end game which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its just different content and therefor a different game.

Vanilla does feel dated but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. I admit that there's also a bit of nostalgia involved for me enjoying the game, but this isn't a driving factor to make me play at all. This could be different for other players ofcourse. I think its incredibly jaded when people say that you only enjoy playing vanilla because of nostalgia, if anything people still play retail because of nostalgia. It could be a reason to play this game, but if it was really just a nostalgia case then you wouldn't even bother to level all the way up to 60, which a lot of people still do on all these servers. I actually talked to a lot of people there and most of them said that they still play retail for the raids, but they don't enjoy the other content. Then you have players who don't play Legion at all but absolutely love playing vanilla, some of them like badmouthing Legion and some don't.

Classic WoW isn't ''better'' than Legion, it is just different. If I had to say several aspects of what vanilla did better its:

- Community
    - Dungeons (Very large and not linear, thats how dugneons should be imo)
    - Leveling process
    - Non-linear content
    - Old AV
    - Atmosphere and immersion
    - Professions
    - World PvP

What Legion does better:

- More features
    - Raids (maybe not the designs of the raids, but definately the boss fights. Just personally not a fan of linear raids with ot many different difficulty settings)
    - More story driven
    - Class balance
    - Overall better tech (graphics, lightning effects etc) although vanilla did have awesome weather effects
    - Faster patches
    - More classes and races
    - Mythic+ dungeons (for its difficulty, but I prefer dungeon designs in vanilla)

I think these games are different enough that they can easily co-exist with each other, but its all up to Blizzard to see if such thing can happen. They have said no in the past but now they feel more indifferent, and its not like they always kept their no word like with the cash shop and being able to transfer characters. If legacy servers were to happen its still gonna take a while, as this whole concept is still something new for Blizzard to work on. And you know how long Blizzard takes on their projects. If legacy servers will be a thing, then I really hope that Blizzard doesn't screw them up to much like changing it to much to look completely unrecognisable.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    So we're taking my comment out of context I guess? Then you follow it up with "I don't know about vanilla". I mean what is there even to talk about here?

When I made this comment it was in regards to how some of the pro-Legacy people claim Vanilla raiding is more difficult than recent expansions raiding but they love to talk about LFR and how cakewalk it is. They never discuss heroic or mythic raiding because that would make them look silly.

Vanillas Pros>Cons. It's not even close. So many aspects of the game have been lost since then that it isn't even fair to compare. It's like comparing Chess to Candyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Vanillas Pros>Cons. It's not even close. So many aspects of the game have been lost since then that it isn't even fair to compare. It's like comparing Chess to Candyland.
    Yeah and what may be pros to you are cons to others. Keep in mind we're talking about a 10-12 year old game that for many people would NOT stand up to current WoW or many other games out there. You may love the slow as fuck leveling/grinding with mostly auto-attacking mobs and no abilities but that wouldn't cut it for many. You are trying to use Chess as a comparison and that is an apt one. Know what game isn't popular anymore? Chess. At least in the States.

You can hearken back to the sub numbers from 10-12 years ago if you wish, but you are being dishonest if you think that it would be as popular if it was officially released today.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    - Dungeons (Very large and not linear
    What? All Vanilla dungeons except BRD are linear, with 1-2 wings max and few shortcuts.