Game was less focused on cosmetic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    But your nostalgia really IS nonsense.

If Vanilla were so wonderful, some competing MMO maker would have taken up that design and surpassed WoW. But of course that never happened. Whenever some MMO maker get the nostalgia disease and tries some design concept WoW used to have the results are disappointing.
    It's rather incredible how you can manage to quote a message explaining how retarded people who drool about "nostalgia" are when it's factually and proved false, and just do the exact same thing described.
    Really incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It's rather incredible how you can manage to quote a message explaining how retarded people who drool about "nostalgia" are when it's factually and proved false, and just do the exact same thing described.
    Really incredible.
    Except your assertion there assumes you are right. You're not.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    What made vanilla wow better is that it was less of a game and more of a big scale experience. It wasn't really about what you do, but with whom you do it. It was a cohesive world where even the random players you picked up from trade chat were people you'd see later on again. Your server was important.

The GAME is better now, but the "social experience" was better back then. Vanilla WoW was never a "I did such cool things back then". It's a "we did such cool things back then". That's the difference to WoW these days, imo.

Now you can still make friends in that game, when you want to and you can still build a community around those friendships and guilds, but that's where it ends. Server-wide communities are dead. A cohesive world, where you see the same people run around, is no more. And that's the biggest issue, imo. That's the reason why people loved early wow so much.

same thing that made the cartoons you watched as a kid better than modern cartoons

we were inexperienced and therefore easily impressed

vanilla wow had dramatic flaws by today's standards, but if you know no better...

Except your assertion there assumes you are right. You're not.
    Yeah man, you know better than me what I think, and the people who discovered Vanilla after Cataclysm and like it obviously does it because... well... they are nostalgic of something they never knew before ?

/facepalm

Just how stupid can people be ?

Deleted
    It wasn't better.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    when a product declines so too does its sales
    and that has nothing to do with my opinion
    But if the sales decline it doesn't necessarily mean the quality of said product is declining too.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    The competition didn't have the overwhelming quality that they have nowadays. Warcraft got rivals now!
    Last I checked, WoW's only "rival" right now is FFXIVILM whatever the fuck; pretty much every other "wow killer" has crashed and burned and gone f2p.

Deleted
    It was new and exiting. For me atleast. It was the 1st MMO i've ever played. Beside from that, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yeah man, you know better than me what I think, and the people who discovered Vanilla after Cataclysm and like it obviously does it because... well... they are nostalgic of something they never knew before ?

/facepalm

Just how stupid can people be ?
    I like how you complained people mentioning nostalgia don't present arguments, then totally ignored the argument I gave.

It's like you're deliberately trying to be a parody of yourself.

Anyway, you're not just wrong, you're also stubbornly stupidly wrong.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    You couldn't buy gold with money.
    Rofl good one ... You could buy gold first bloody day ...

1) The fact that at the moment of release, it was the most easy, accesible MMO.
    2) -----

And it`s not better than Legion. At least for me.

I like how you complained people mentioning nostalgia don't present arguments, then totally ignored the argument I gave.
    The only argument you gave is "another game would have replaced Vanilla".

First, this is just plainly dumb, because the success of a game doesn't mean the success of another similar game - what makes a game interesting is a combination, or else every clone would be as successful as the original.
    Osmeric 0, common logic 1.

Second, the market isn't some kind of wizard. Many designs disappear because the market think they aren't going to work, until someone actually pulls it up. See Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous after 10+ years of nobody making space simulator.
    Osmeric 0, facts 1.

Finally, if we're going to use market-based arguments, I can just use the "subscription" card and point that they were on the rise when Vanilla & TBC were a thing, and have decreased since.
    I bet you're suddendly going to find all kind of reason to explain why this is not valid.
    Osmeric 0, good faith 1.
    It's like you're deliberately trying to be a parody of yourself.

Anyway, you're not just wrong, you're also stubbornly stupidly wrong.
    I cant be more of a parody or more comically stupidly wrong than someone who hear someone else saying "I never played Vanilla before, tried it last year, and man it was good", and then tell him "it's because NOSTALGIA !" and someone trying to use such retarded argument as the market.
    The day you stop being such a hating clown about Vanilla, is the day you'll finally cure your -25 IQ disease.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-01-09 at 01:54 PM.

Class Diversity
    Server Communities
    Aggro Management
    Mana Management
    No LFR/LFD
    No Transmog
    Getting gear meant something
    1 Difficulty Setting
    New Tiers didn't make the old ones obsolete
    Leveling was part of the game and not just an annoying chore
    No Flying Mounts
    RPG Mechanics made the game more challenging and detailed
    No Cash Shop
    Talent Trees
    No Facebook Games

The things I'd say that retail does better are:

Graphics
    Storytelling
    Class Balance
    Boss Mechanics
    Quests not being "Kill X of this" "Collect X of that" with retardedly low drop rates (Zebras with no hooves anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Last I checked, WoW's only "rival" right now is FFXIVILM whatever the fuck; pretty much every other "wow killer" has crashed and burned and gone f2p.
    It's still a sub game. Also XIV. Also known as 14.

no one is saying vanilla wasn't fun or engaging, its the reason why a lot of ppl started playing anyway, what is strange is that ppl choose to opt to stay at lvl 60 forever grinding the same old crap, what do you do with your fully t3 whatever class you play, thats right nothing, the game effectively ends and there is nothing left to progress on.

if your happy staying at 60 and repeating the same old boring content forever, more power to you, but to assume the game was better back then is objectively wrong, after 10+ years of content updates patches, fixes, tweaks, rebalances. the game is in a much better place than it was in the past.

solo content is better, you can progress further solo.

5 man content is better, its no longer obsolete as soon as you start raiding.

raiding is better, now guilds have more options over which difficulty they think they can handle. and can push harder difficulties if they so wish.

raiding is more accessible, you don't need to marry 39 other random fuckers to raid while also not needing to spend 20-30hrs doing that per week. i dunno about other ppl but i don't have time for that crap any more.

classes are better and more robust, sure it was cool being the pinnacle of healing in classic, and younger me was butt hurt slightly when the homogenization came in, but in hindsight letting ppl perform roles well, was great for longevity the balance was needed for the game to progress..

mmos progress forward, lvl 60 was cool before lvl 70 was a thing, like wise lvl 70 was cool before lvl 80 was a thing, having your character progress through the expansions to now (which is exactly the point of playing an mmo, not lingering in old obsolete content), where we are nearly double what we were in classic, the power scale makes sense, and the progression has been fun, personally i don't see the appeal to staying at 60 forever, its just not appealing at all, the only reason i could see my self playing classic was if i couldn't afford the subscription, even then i'd prefer to go play a more modern F2P game than go back to classic and repeat most of what i already did 10 years ago.

the only ppl classic catered to was those who could raid most days of the week, everyone else was stuck farming 5 mans for dungeon sets and the extremely low drop random epics that were replaced as soon as you did start raiding. likewise your dungeon set only lasted until you replaced it in zg and mc. anyone remember dungeon set 2, where you could upgrade your crappy set to an epic one that still wasn't better than t1, but cost loads of gold and required tons of farming, yeah that was terrible. the amount of effort it required to get that set you could just pug mc and replace the whole thing in a few runs the tiering system in classic was completely out of whack.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-01-09 at 02:59 PM.

isn't. The question is what makes current wow better than clasic? and the answer is:

mass loot.
    Thanks.

Literally nothing.

Rose-tinted glasses. Are there problems with WoW today? Sure, but I'll take wow how it is now over vanilla any day. Really, the only thing that Vanilla had over current wow was a sense of discovery and exploration, due to sights like MMO-champion and wowhead not being so prevalent and the playerbase being much younger.