Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Firearms are used in ~50% of suicides in the US.
    If it were 99%, then I would agree with your premise. But considering what Spectral just stated... Japanese suicide rate is much higher sans guns... I don't think your argument is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    If that makes you feel better about yourself, sure
    Looking at your conclusions, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Japanese-Americans are as American as anyone else. Don't be a nasty racist.
    I was being sarcastic but wooosh. You were basically arguing that non Japanese-Americans are a bunch of murderous brutes. I was wondering how easy access to guns makes sense for such a population.

7+ Year Old Account
    Japan is much safer, you don't have to worry about being mugged, beaten, raped or killed by thugs thus they have no use for guns and public isn't calling for loosening gun laws. This doesn't apply in USA because there is more criminals and lot of cities have areas you better avoid.

Japanese are very community oriented, there's a saying in Japan, "the nail that sticks out is pounded down". What I'm saying is that it's a lot easier to get a uniform community on board with an idea like gun control than a diverse hodgepodge community that is the US.

There's no litter in Japan, people will carry their wrappers and cans until they find a trashcan, for example.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    I was being sarcastic but wooosh. You were basically arguing that non Japanese-Americans are a bunch of murderous brutes. I was wondering how easy access to guns makes sense for such a population.
    There are a non-trivial number of murderous brutes in the United States. I'm fine with aggressively disarming and jailing them when they've committed felonies. The problem comes in when this is used as an excuse to strip a bunch of rural people that are non-threats of their Constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The July 26th 2016 Knife attack that killed 19 and wounded 25 others says SUP you don't need a gun m8
    That would never happen in USA, you have to realize that in Japan its more likely to meet a person who is an expert at knives... after all, ninjas and other martial art things were born in asia.... not being stereotypical at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Japanese are very community oriented, there's a saying in Japan, "the nail that sticks out is pounded down". What I'm saying is that it's a lot easier to get a uniform community on board with an idea like gun control than a diverse hodgepodge community that is the US.

There's no litter in Japan, people will carry their wrappers and cans until they find a trashcan, for example.
    This is why Japanese solutions will never work in the US. They have a strong collective identity and a tiny landmass to share with their brothers and sisters. Meanwhile in America, the land is huge and has supported individualism for over 300 years.
    Back when dot snapshotting was a thing, I wrote this piece of junk.

Japan got an extremely conservative culture and society, that plus the aversion to any violence, especially military and war contributes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldion View Post
    They have a strong collective identity
    This pretty much, if you stand out and is different any way? Well fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Again, not trying to argue an actual correlation since it would require a lot more complicated math than I care to do right now. There are too many other factors involved.
    I think the point is, when talking on gun control its really dishonest to throw suicide rates in there to inflate numbers. Suicide is a completely separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Do you believe a country with less cars have less car accidents? You're logic is amazing!
    Jeeesh, all slaskel said is that if there are less guns, there's bound to be less gun deaths. And yes, that's pure and simple logic, is that really so hard to grasp?

Sometimes I feel like there's really no desire to actually think about something whatsoever. He even said later on: "The real issue to discuss is whether or not making guns illegal or taking other actions actually will result in fewer guns in the hands of criminals at the expense of people's freedom of choice to carry, and if it's worth it.", perfectly lining out why he does NOT advocate for guns just being taken away based solely on the fact that yes, if there are more guns then there's more chances of gun violence. Are you really so blind as to not at least SEE why their COULD BE an arguement for limiting guns, simply due to the mathematical and LOGICAL fact, that "more guns = more gun violence", same as "more cars = more car accidents". It doesn't really get any simpler than that, what the hell is wrong with you? It's not about whether you are for stricter gun laws or not, it's just a matter of looking at the situation and figuring out what factors contribute to it. What conclusions you draw because of that and whether you see fit to change anything about the situation or not is something entirely different.

A lot of people are pointing to Japanese society, which is reasonable, but makes me wonder again - what's the murder rate for Japanese-Americans? It doesn't seem to me that third-generation Japanese-Americans are any more stabby or shooty than native-born Japanese people.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    So you have to go back 6 months to see the largest form of attack in Japan, and it's not even a gun. Wow.
    Considering the largest mass shootings in the US were in the 1800s who is backpedaling?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    A lot of people are pointing to Japanese society, which is reasonable, but makes me wonder again - what's the murder rate for Japanese-Americans? It doesn't seem to me that third-generation Japanese-Americans are any more stabby or shooty than native-born Japanese people.
    Are we talking about japanese-americans who lives in America, or Japan?
    If latter, i don't see the confusion.

Japan society is extremely conservative, japanese people aren't magically/inherently more adversed(is this the right word?) to violence, it's simply how the society and culture is built.

I'm a diehard weeaboo and japanophile, and even i take issue with how their society works, it might sound nice on the paper when you see how low for example gun crime is, but they have alot of other issues(not le birthrate meme XDXD)

I might as well leave this here while I have the thread open.

Japan: Gun Control and People Control (link)
    Back when dot snapshotting was a thing, I wrote this piece of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
    Jeeesh, all slaskel said is that if there are less guns, there's bound to be less gun deaths. And yes, that's pure and simple logic, is that really so hard to grasp?

Sometimes I feel like there's really no desire to actually think about something whatsoever. He even said later on: "The real issue to discuss is whether or not making guns illegal or taking other actions actually will result in fewer guns in the hands of criminals at the expense of people's freedom of choice to carry, and if it's worth it.", perfectly lining out why he does NOT advocate for guns just being taken away based solely on the fact that yes, if there are more guns then there's more chances of gun violence. Are you really so blind as to not at least SEE why their COULD BE an arguement for limiting guns, simply due to the mathematical and LOGICAL fact, that "more guns = more gun violence", same as "more cars = more car accidents". It doesn't really get any simpler than that, what the hell is wrong with you? It's not about whether you are for stricter gun laws or not, it's just a matter of looking at the situation and figuring out what factors contribute to it. What conclusions you draw because of that and whether you see fit to change anything about the situation or not is something entirely different.
    Unless you have a blanket ban on firearms, you will always have deaths due to firearms. Now, you may not be for a gun ban, which is fine. However incidents like this will still happen because you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have good people go bad. Orlando and now this incident, committed by people who owned handguns, who passed background checks, who passed mental health checks. This shit will continue to happen because you cant legislate every single eventuality.

We are a much more violent society with little regard for other people or even life. I mean what drives a group of young individuals to kidnap and torture a mentally handicapped person? What drives groups of people to flash mob and rob stores? What drives young people to bully classmates to the point they commit suicide? Answer these questions and you will find your answer to what factors contribute to our crime rates in the US.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Japan does not have a 2nd Amendment in their Constitution. And besides, it is their country, their culture, so do as they please within themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

So true. They also have great respect for the elderly there. Unlike here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Are we talking about japanese-americans who lives in America, or Japan?
    If latter, i don't see the confusion.

Japan society is extremely conservative, japanese people aren't magically/inherently more adversed(is this the right word?) to violence, it's simply how the society and culture is built.
    He's obviously talking about Japanese people who live in the U.S. Even with access to tons of free guns they don't go around shooting people willy-nilly as the left would have you believe happens once you step foot in the U.S. That goes back to the point that it's not the fact that you can own a gun that makes people shoot other people. It's the culture of violence, and there are violent people in the U.S., with or without guns.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Unless you have a blanket ban on firearms, you will always have deaths due to firearms. Now, you may not be for a gun ban, which is fine. However incidents like this will still happen because you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have good people go bad. Orlando and now this incident, committed by people who owned handguns, who passed background checks, who passed mental health checks. This shit will continue to happen because you cant legislate every single eventuality.

We are a much more violent society with little regard for other people or even life. I mean what drives a group of young individuals to kidnap and torture a mentally handicapped person? What drives groups of people to flash mob and rob stores? What drives young people to bully classmates to the point they commit suicide? Answer these questions and you will find your answer to what factors contribute to our crime rates in the US.
    I'm agreeing with you and by no means do I believe that I have a solution ready. What makes me kind of angry is that it seems that a lot of people fail to even understand something as basic as "if there's more of a thing, then there's a higher chance of something happen with that thing". That fact alone doesn't have to decide what you make of a situation, but you should at least be able to understand the logical connection behind that fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Anyone who argues that amount of guns in a country isn't directly correlated to gun violence in that country is a moron. However it's not sure whether or not you can change the situation in America by banning guns since they're already there. Also, it's much easier to maintain a low amount of guns in a country of Japan's size that's also isolated by sea.
    Yes they can. Australia did it. Between 1996 and 1997 I think the Government there bought back over 1 million firearms, with something like 60% per year drops in gun related incidents, after tightening laws due to the worst massacre in recent history.
    Last edited by Chemii; 2017-01-09 at 03:36 PM.