What to do RNG plan wise for Fire ST w/Helm & Belt vs Arcane 0

Hi guys,

I tell you this Legendary system that gives dps along with the freaking Paragon DPS increases really makes figuring out how to optimally plan a real PITA. I miss the days where you just could play two specs and the worst you might have is some sub optimal trinkets, or a need to reforge for one of them... And even at that usually the 2nd spec you might play on a fight would be so good for that fight it wasn't a big deal. With the above Legend/Trinket it really is way worse trying to min/max that sort of thing.

Anyhow, I saw the below chart posted for dps for 7.1.5:

I originally thought Fire with the right legendaries looked fine ST, especially after learning Frost is going to have a hard time keeping 100% uptime on GS.

Well I have the Belt which used to be the worst and is now going to be 2nd best as fire...I thought maybe I should just play RNGJesus and hope for the Bracers and with that it looked like Fire would be really competitive ST and still strong AoE. Unfortunately today I ended up with the Helm instead...I also noticed recently folks like Lexi from Method have indicated Fire might be just a good spec for Mythic+ now and he was thinking on Arcane. So, do they know something I don't about the above chart?

I've played Arcane and its pretty fun, smooth AoE honestly (Nether Tempst/Supernova) and Burn/Conserve is sort of similar to our old big damage in Combustion windows anyhow.

That said, if you were in my shoes would you keep loot spec to Fire in hopes of bracers eventually, OR switch to Arcane and basically save the best AoE setup for Fire (Helm/Belt) just for certain fights/mythic and build Arcane out as my new ST spec....The Paragon points sort of throw a wrench into it more however when you wonder about 5% DPS Fire vs all the eventually increases with focusing one 1...

I'm in literally the exact same situation as you, have helm, belt, chest, no bracers. W/ Bracers I would have top legendaries for fire. I'm a few points into paragon too. I've almost got my 5% for arcane and have good relics for arcane as well, but the only legendary I have for arcane is the universal chest legendary(which is quite good, for me who always stands in fire).

I'd like to know if I should switch, or stay fire and start rolling arcane, or just stay fire completely hoping for the bis bracers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm in literally the exact same situation as you, have helm, belt, chest, no bracers. W/ Bracers I would have top legendaries for fire. I'm a few points into paragon too. I've almost got my 5% for arcane and have good relics for arcane as well, but the only legendary I have for arcane is the universal chest legendary(which is quite good, for me who always stands in fire).

I'd like to know if I should switch, or stay fire and start rolling arcane, or just stay fire completely hoping for the bis bracers.
    Yeah its quite stupid that an item that never drops from any particular boss, or can be bought by any currency contributes something like 10% to your damage and requires being balanced around...

Add that to instead of just giving a flat 5% increase to specs and stopping the ability to have as much as what 14.5% dps increase difference depending on the one you chose? Which will take a huge amount of time...it is really stupid for sure...And speaking of that if Fire is really now behind a bit they basically did what they said they wouldn't...making the best the last which you account for time spent. Now you can catch up easy now the AP points in general, but now its this legendary bs question that gets people..

Fire...if competitive Single Target was best prior to the patch with those bracers, no brainer, because it could compete ST and just mechanically it does so many thing really well Living Bomb/Ignite spreading etc....

When I played Arcane today I felt with Nether Tempest and Supernova its AoE wasn't half bad and was smooth, so if its Single Target is supposed to be stupid high it throws a wrench in the "mechanical" advantage idea of Fire, but that chart seems to indicate Fire would still be better with bracers, so I'm curious as to why top Fire Players are commenting its now just a Mythic + spec?
    Last edited by rap87; 2017-01-09 at 11:04 PM.

I dont get why they rank the Gravity legendary hat so low, it basically means you will always been in burn phase, which is insane. am I missing something?

Nobody knows which spec is the best for most of Nighthold. PTR raid testing ended way before tons of changes to the specs went live on PTR. It is a guessing game.