Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Donald Trump appoints family member to major governmental position

Donald Trump has named his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, a man with no policy experience to speak of, as Senior White House Advisor.

WASHINGTON — Jared Kushner will become a senior White House adviser to his father-in-law, Donald J. Trump, cementing the New York real estate executive’s role as a powerful and at times decisive influence on the president-elect.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us...use-trump.html

Nepotism hooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not new. It has been spoken of well before Trump was elected.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    When you can't even buy a yes-man so you have to go to your son-in-law. Top kek. Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    This is not new. It has been spoken of well before Trump was elected.
    Its been spoken of. Today it happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before 1967 this was a common practice.

Good old nepotism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -MDH- View Post
    When you can't even buy a yes-man so you have to go to your son-in-law. Top kek. Sad!
    Family is more likely to call it like it is I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its been spoken of. Today it happened.
    As far as I can tell, this seems to be welcome by both democrats and republicans. At least from the article you linked. I wonder what impact this will have and if there will (perhaps more rightfully when) be an appeal on his appointment.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Family is more likely to call it like it is I think.
    Not when they are riding your coattails to grow their empire.

As far as I can tell, this seems to be welcome by both democrats and republicans. At least from the article you linked. I wonder what impact this will have and if there will (perhaps more rightfully when) be an appeal on his appointment.
    Yes, Democrats are always eager to lick a boot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if Trump put this one out here knowing a law would block it. This way the Dems will be too busy fighting this one appointment to stop his others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Good ol' U.S

Donald Trump has named his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, a man with no policy experience to speak of, as Senior White House Advisor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us...use-trump.html

Nepotism hooooo!
    Nepotism: The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior..._United_States

Senior Advisor to the President is a title used by high-ranking assistants to the President of the United States. White House Senior Advisors are senior members of the Executive Office of the President. In the Executive Office of the President of the United States, the title has been used formally since 1993.

So basically you're complaining about him being an assistant. It's not really nepotism seeing as there would have had to have been more qualified assistants for Trump to pick his son in law over and so far there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many you can have. Seeing as how Jarad seems to actually be a better businessman than Trump and arguably responsible for his win by setting up his social media campaign I'd say this is a positive not a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by slitheroutfromtherocks View Post
    Nepotism: The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior..._United_States

Senior Advisor to the President is a title used by high-ranking assistants to the President of the United States. White House Senior Advisors are senior members of the Executive Office of the President. In the Executive Office of the President of the United States, the title has been used formally since 1993.

So basically you're complaining about him being an assistant. It's not really nepotism seeing as there would have had to have been more qualified assistants for Trump to pick his son in law over and so far there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many you can have. Seeing as how Jarad seems to actually be a better businessman than Trump and arguably responsible for his win by setting up his social media campaign I'd say this is a positive not a negative.
    I'm confused.

Are you claiming that White House Senior Adviser isn't a major position?
    Or are you trying to claim that being a relative of Trump's wasn't a factor?

I'm confused.

Are you claiming that White House Senior Adviser isn't a major position?
    Or are you trying to claim that being a relative of Trump's wasn't a factor?
    Well I'm not surprised that you're confused as you didn't look up the job tittle you just seen that it looked shiny and fancy and assumed it was more than what it is. Which is just an assistant albeit a high ranking one and still at the federal government level. I'm saying for it to be nepotism Trump would have to be throwing out more qualified people left and right to give his son in law the position which is not the case in fact there is already another senior adviser called Stephen Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by slitheroutfromtherocks View Post
    Well I'm not surprised that you're confused as you didn't look up the job tittle you just seen that it looked shiny and fancy and assumed it was more than what it is. Which is just an assistant albeit a high ranking one and still at the federal government level. I'm saying for it to be nepotism Trump would have to be throwing out more qualified people left and right to give his son in law the position which is not the case in fact there is already another senior adviser called Stephen Miller.
    By definition if he's giving the job to Kushner he's throwing out more qualified people. This is some serious back bending.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused.
    Surprising absolutely no-one of your habitual refusal to do simple google searches and dismissing evidence presented to you.

This is no different than Obama picking Rahm because they were both Chicago Democrats, and then Rahm left to run for mayor after he padded his approval ratings as Chief of Staff.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read the law that pertains to this appointment -- Either its questionably illegal because the wording in the law doesn't explicitly say the executive branch can do this or Kusher cannot receive monetary compensation for his position.

"best person for the job" Right? No quotas or anything, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.