Page 1 of 39
... LastLast

ACLU sues town of 2,000 over Christmas tree decoration.

Source: http://wreg.com/2016/12/12/aclu-suin...s-decorations/

KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. — An Indiana town is being sued by the American Civil Liberties Union over part of its Christmas decorations.

Residents of the town of 2,000 people can’t remember a time when an illuminated cross didn’t sit atop a Christmas tree in the town square.

Now however, the ACLU and resident Joseph Tompkins want the cross removed according to WTTV-TV.

The suit alleges that the Latin cross “is the preeminent symbol of Christianity, representing the instrument of the crucifixion of Jesus.” So if the display is religious, the suit argues, it has no business on town property.
    The Grinch is real. lmao

Suing over a cross on a tree is like the equivalent of people who get offended when they say "bless you" when you sneeze. It is simply a standardized decoration.

Best part:

The documents go on to say that every day, Tompkins “is forced to come into direct and unwelcome contact” with the cross on top of the tree as he drives through town. This, it says, has caused him “irreparable harm,” which can only be remedied by taking the cross down and paying Tompkins monetary damages.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-12-12 at 10:48 PM.

they dont give a damn about the cross, they just want the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Any evidence of this?
    I mean come on... can we at least attempt to apply some common sense to our lives?

The documents go on to say that every day, Tompkins “is forced to come into direct and unwelcome contact” with the cross on top of the tree as he drives through town. This, it says, has caused him “irreparable harm,” which can only be remedied by taking the cross down and paying Tompkins monetary damages.
    I mean really? You want to stand by that question?

Plus signs offend so many tolerant folk.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Any evidence of this?
    “irreparable harm,”
    paying Tompkins monetary damages.
    Irreparable indeed.

Any evidence of this?
    Seriously.. "Waaaah irreparable harm from seeing a cross...ooo some money will take the pain away.."

I wonder what happens when he goes to a graveyard or drives by a church.

Edit: In a small rural town of 2,000 like this I bet he is the only non-parishiner in the community.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2016-12-12 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Source: http://wreg.com/2016/12/12/aclu-suin...s-decorations/

The Grinch is real. lmao

Suing over a cross on a tree is like the equivalent of people who get offended when they say "bless you" when you sneeze. It is simply a standardized decoration.

Best part:
    Having a cross on public land isn't allowed. How is this hard to understand?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Deleted
    The US is a Christian nation.

Don't like it? Feel free to leave.

Any evidence of this?
    You're trolling right? Right? RIGHT?

If you think this is anything but a money grab you are beyond lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Having a cross on public land isn't allowed. How is this hard to understand?
    I have zero problems with removing cross. With that said, the line was crossed in seeking monetary funds for "irreparable" damage.

The ACLU has become the equivalent of an ambulance chaser.

ACLU, the hurt is real.

Seperation of church and state isn't something people can ignore just because they want to celebrate their religion.
    True. But Christmas is a christian holiday. And isn't the US "One nation, under god"? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. If he doesn't want to celebrate Christmas, that's fine. I don't enjoy it that much either, way to busy. But if a you are offended by a cross you need to have your head examined.

who the fuck puts crosses on their trees? you put stars up there ya weirdos
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

Except that it isn't, it never was, the Founding Fathers explicitly intended it to NOT be such, and so forth and so on.

This concept is thoroughly bullshit, and is just a means by which Christians try and enforce their practices on others. It's religious fundamentalism, and we don't consider it magically "okay" when Christians do it.

im quite curious as well.... i often times saw a cross on a corner of a street when i lived in florida, where someone had been hit by a car or what have you, to mark the place they died.

would some asshole like him try to sue the family because it caused irreparable harm? i mean... its a cross on public land, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    True. But Christmas is a christian holiday.
    no it isnt.

im jewish, i celebrate christmas, i know muslim people who celebrate christmas, most atheist people celebrate christmas.

christmas is a national holiday in most of the western world
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    they dont give a damn about the cross, they just want the money.
    Or maybe it's about moral principles of the separation of church and state.

It wouldn't be Christmas without holiday bashers!

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

Except it's not, and that's baked into the Constitution, so the one who should be leaving, it is you.

The tolerant left strikes again.