Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    In 50 years everyone over the age of 15 now (maybe even younger) will already be retired. So I'll be enjoying retirement, if I'm still alive.

Also, if you've watched any Newsreel videos in the 1950's of how they expected life to be in the 1980's living like The Jetsons, people often tend to overestimate advancement timelines. Definitely a lot of automation is coming, and not that far off. Certain jobs like taxi drivers are going obsolete, and once autonomous vehicles are common in 5-10 years the Uber/Lyft drivers will be out of a job too. Same for truck drivers. Fast food workers may be in that situation too.

But not every single job can be automated, or easily automated. Some jobs lend themselves to automation, but other jobs have decision points that need to be made that won't lend themselves to being done by AI. Lesser skilled jobs will feel the hurt the most. And again that's not far off, it's happening now and will be far worse in 5-10 years. It's why it's important for younger folks to make sure they are getting an education to give them a skill that's not easily automated (or outsourced). I can see automating a burger cook in a McDonald's to be done by machine. But I can't see automating an RN in a nursing home, or a dentist, or plumber, or project manager in an office...at least in our working lifetimes.
    A great majority of unskilled labor will be replaced. Since just customer service/retail people are about 22% of the workforce (the single largest category by far), there just aren't enough jobs that aren't in danger of being automated to support all of those extra people. We'll never get to a 100% automated workforce, but we will lose a lot of jobs to automation.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they're going to have AI designing video games in 50 years?

I'm curious what their art direction looks like.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Play video games all day or get a job robots can't replace, such as in the entertainment industry (Acting, making games etc...). Robots can do a wide range of things but I doubt they can do anything truly creative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet Battle IRL

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    There are at least two companies that I know of which are researching your respective replacements--the most public one being Google. Google took disservices bots from their acquisition of a few robotics companies and began researching/creating computer vision powered repair bots. I forget the articles/video, but it was from one of their original Google Brain guys, so it's worthy to note that you're very likely wrong about the immunity of your profession from automation.

Even on the AI programming end, there have been steps--albeit more naive steps--to automating machine learning (source).
    Not likely in my life time.. unless parts become extremely cheap to replace. Ai repair is limited by replacing damaged parts wholestock. I can't really imagine a Ai robot that would be able to do the kind of detailed and varied work required without it being the size of a course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Jobs done 100% on computer will be the first to go.
    hardly, in fact just the opposite, its basic repeated process like aka manufacturing, since well we already have that. Things that require critical thinking will be the last to be automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just because we don't have to struggle for survival and don't waste 66% of our lives on basic menial tasks to keep things running, doesn't mean we won't be able to dream and try to better ourselves.

Scientific research cannot be done by AI. Creativity (music/art) cannot be done by AI.
    Have you seen what some of what is considered art now days? I'm pretty sure AI robots can figure out how to throw a bucket of paint at a wall, or put random sounds together into a rhythmic pattern and have it be of similar quality to some of the "art" out there now. In the OPs description there are no jobs which would include scientific research that is being done by AI. You won't have the resources available to you do art projects etc. because you are only being provided with enough for food and shelter. You will have a hard time bartering for other things as everyone is in the same boat as you. This future sounds pretty dreadful honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are already robots that do my job. They'll have to become a lot cheaper to use before it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I mean if they create a program that can edit videos and audio together without any human input suure I'll be out of a job.
    A naive attempt for a taboo sector has been made and its source is available. It isn't a masterpiece, especially given its limitations to convolutional neural networks and images and the creators small amount of outputs, but it does its job properly cutting and annotating sections of videos which the biggest player in its respective industry currently does by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Not likely in my life time.. unless parts become extremely cheap to replace. Ai repair is limited by replacing damaged parts wholestock. I can't really imagine a Ai robot that would be able to do the kind of detailed and varied work required without it being the size of a course.
    I'm simply responding to your comment that your job will never be replaced. It seemed that you're speaking of your profession in general. Outside of, "Can it actually be done", questions always come down to:
    1) Can my bot surpass human efficiency?
    2) Is it financially feasible.
    Last edited by twiddler; 2017-01-10 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just because we don't have to struggle for survival and don't waste 66% of our lives on basic menial tasks to keep things running, doesn't mean we won't be able to dream and try to better ourselves.
    Yes, but the OP basically said in his scenario that employment is dead. Which means that there are no teachers. No learning. No economy, no growth, nothing. If there are no jobs, there is no advancement. Plus, humans need work. Without purpose, people tend to drift, fall into crime and die early. Work keeps us honest, keeps us alive, keeps us socialized and involved in each other's lives, etc. Would it be nicer if the majority of existing jobs paid more so we wouldn't have to struggle so much? Absolutely, but automation replacing jobs, leaving the majority of humanity unemployed and basically retired from the onset is absolutely not the answer.

Watch the movie Elysium, it provides a very believable scenario for our future. Hint; The people replaced by robots, will work in slavery to maintain/produce said robots.

So guess that's what I'll be doing? Until then, I'm gunning to edumacate myself in driving trains.

I'll be fighting for robot equality. Just kidding I'd be smoking my legal weed on my beach front property in ARIZONA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    In 50 years from now almost everyone posting on these forums won't be working anyway.

OT: Probably spend rest of my life having sex with robo-waifu 5000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Yes, but the OP basically said in his scenario that employment is dead. Which means that there are no teachers. No learning. No economy, no growth, nothing. If there are no jobs, there is no advancement. Plus, humans need work. Without purpose, people tend to drift, fall into crime and die early. Work keeps us honest, keeps us alive, keeps us socialized and involved in each other's lives, etc. Would it be nicer if the majority of existing jobs paid more so we wouldn't have to struggle so much? Absolutely, but automation replacing jobs, leaving the majority of humanity unemployed and basically retired from the onset is absolutely not the answer.
    Most people would find a purpose in a world like that. Some people love to work I agree but I don't think the majority of people would just sit around until they dropped dead of boredom.

Deleted
    robot A.I.s are going to make human workers unnecessary.
    for the future we need more immigrants because we have an aging society and not enough workers.

wait what

BTT : I would probably be very sad, or a cool hacker like in the movies doing super cool stuff with the robots and making them my army.

Deleted
    I'd still try to work. I don't think an ai is particularly good at gooking.

10+ Year Old Account
    BECOME the AI. Create a program and device that synchs the synapses in my brain with the OS of the AI, add their computing power to my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Scenario: it's 50 years from now and every job has been automated by artificial intelligence and robots. Your government gives you a basic income for doing nothing, it's enough for shelter and food.
    Unless basic income can afford everyone more than that, there isn't going to be a point to automated jobs if they are producing products no one can afford.

Also, probably work on a hobby or something. Maybe animation and visual media.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    The scenario in the OP is actually kind of nightmarish. It's the ultimate stagnation of the human race, the end of our civilization. If we no longer dream to do better because robots are doing everything, then our entire progression as a race has been for nothing. It's like we reach a certain point, then give up and retire. And that's the end of us.

In 50 years I'll be 82 and too old to do anything about it, but if I were young enough I would start a revolution. Even if it means setting science back hundreds of years, it's better than a future where we all just exist in equal poverty. A future where we have stopped dreaming, stopped trying to build and surrendered all our ambition because all our basics are covered is no future I want for my son.
    So you think the only thing humans are good for are doing jobs so that we can feed ourselves? Do you think people will be less inquisitive? less inventive? any less of a dreamer than the people of today?
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Blame it on Obama, Liberals and Mexico.....duh