Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Would love to have a HBO-like series that was based on the Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k tabletop game. I recently got into reading the books for a bit of fun commute digestible pulp-fiction a few months ago. With some structure such a series can run for a solid eight or so years.

My interpretation for the series would be a very dark, moody sci-fi version of Game of Thrones, basically. That is to say a series that plays it's fantasy straight faced, graphic and darkly.

I would also like to see live action films that based on DC comics which are not total garbage. Rather more Justice League Unlimited than whatever Suicide Squad, upcoming Justice League and Batman v. Superman is/was.

A series of horror films based on Tales from the Crypt would be neat too. Not many high budget anthology Horror films come about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Indeed, I think too many Sci Fi movies these days try to be too grimdark and serious, they're afraid to embrace the vaguely camp tongue in cheek nature that made so many older films such enduring classics.
    I feel like more modern sci-fi is camp. I can not think of any aside from the Alien franchise that attempt to be 'grimdark' at all. Good guys always win these films, that is absolutely not 'grimdark'.

There is also the injection of humor, side kicks or levity too. Also, not what I think of as 'grimdark'.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-01-14 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Would love to have a HBO-like series that was based on the Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k tabletop game. I recently got into reading the books for a bit of fun commute digestible pulp-fiction a few months ago. With some structure such a series can run for a solid eight or so years.

My interpretation for the series would be a very dark, moody sci-fi version of Game of Thrones, basically. That is to say a series that plays it's fantasy straight faced, graphic and darkly.
    Christ, I would hate to be the person who had to work out the budget for that. You could probably bankrupt several countries trying to pay for it.

I feel like more modern sci-fi is camp. I can not think of any aside from the Alien franchise that attempt to be 'grimdark' at all. Good guys always win these films, that is absolutely not 'grimdark'.

There is also the injection of humor, side kicks or levity too. Also, not what I think of as 'grimdark'.
    The good guys winning at the end of the day and using humor and sidekicks doesn't mean something isn't "grimdark", as long as the overall tone and world is still mostly dystopian, amoral and/or violent. That said, grimdark was probably a bad term to use, because most sci-fi isn't THAT heavy. I think the more important word was "serious".

I can't think of a lot of campy sci-fi, at least on the big screen, but the serious sci-fi movies are not movies that are "afraid" to be campy, they just aren't that kind of movies.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-01-14 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    WArhammer 40k TV series based around the Dark Angels Space Marines and their hunt for the Fallen.
    Eww, no. I find the Dark Angels to be exhausting. The moment you reveal too much of their 'secrets' the chapter is just run-of-the-mill.

All of the loyalists chapters are dull mostly- aside from the ones that break the Astartes routine and are kinda heretical. Like the Death Watch. Which is great fodder for an ongoing A-Team/Wild Bunch-like show where the elite (with an occasionally shifting cast of actors) of the Astartes take on various missions week-to-week that can be spun into a larger narrative.

Just focusing on The Rock, the Chaplains and DAs looking for their renegade brothers is pretty thin. And not a very compelling hook in the 40k as is- which is why I think GW recently kinda blew up the The Rock and let Luther go free. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The good guys winning at the end of the day and using humor and sidekicks doesn't mean something isn't "grimdark", as long as the overall tone and world is still mostly dystopian, amoral and/or violent. That said, grimdark was probably a bad term to use, because most sci-fi isn't THAT heavy. I think the more important word was "serious".

I can't think of a lot of campy sci-fi, at least on the big screen, but the serious sci-fi movies are not movies that are "afraid" to be campy, they just aren't that kind of movie.
    Amorality is a major component of all grimdark literature. There can be no 'good' or 'bad' guys. Levity is anathema to grimness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Christ, I would hate to be the person who had to work out the budget for that. You could probably bankrupt several countries trying to pay for it.
    Eh. Not really. A lot of it would be interiors (just like GoT) with occasional big CGI set pieces of like the Isstvan conflicts not needing to be overly visited. Even GoT managed the Battle of the Blackwater. That's about in-line with the Ist-III events.

Maybe something like Coldhome is comparable to The Dropsite Massacre- which you don't really have to go into detail of like the Iron Warriors landing or Night Lords flanking the Raven Guard as long as you have Corax and Angron doing their thing and Fulgrim sulking.

You really wouldn't have to go into detail with the the entire conflict of Murder or the battle before the Alpha Legion met the Cabal. Etc, etc. Certain things can be cut or hurried along for brevity and budget.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-01-14 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Overwatch - the movie. NOT live action, fully animated like the shorts.
    Couldn't agree more!

Eh. Not really. A lot of it would be interiors (just like GoT) with occasional big CGI set pieces of like the Isstvan conflicts not needing to be overly visited. Even GoT managed the Battle of the Blackwater. That's about in-line with the Ist-III events.
    Difference being, most of the characters in GoT aren't an 8-foot tall supermen with their own suits of ornate power armor. But I haven't read the books, so maybe I'm just picturing something that would do justice to the artwork.

Carnivale season 3 and onwards

Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis, the REAL IndyIV, made into a movie

Good Omens movie

Difference being, most of the characters in GoT aren't an 8-foot tall supermen with their own suits of ornate power armor. But I haven't read the books, so maybe I'm just picturing something that would do justice to the artwork.
    Simple camera angle can change the impression of scale in film. That's largely how LOTR did it with some props to boot (GoT does this too). With a huge part of the non-action being interiors it should be do-able without an astronomic cost.

The Xeno races would be tricky and could eat some of the budget. The Orks really have to be shown in the hundreds of thousands at a time, Mega-arachnids are described as the size of Godzilla, Kinebrach/Interex are very ostentatious even more so than Craftworld Eldar at this time.

I just want to see wolverine or agents of shield character make it into an avengers movie
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eww, no. I find the Dark Angels to be exhausting. The moment you reveal too much of their 'secrets' the chapter is just run-of-the-mill.

All of the loyalists chapters are dull mostly- aside from the ones that break the Astartes routine and are kinda heretical. Like the Death Watch. Which is great fodder for an ongoing A-Team/Wild Bunch-like show where the elite (with an occasionally shifting cast of actors) of the Astartes take on various missions week-to-week that can be spun into a larger narrative.

Just focusing on The Rock, the Chaplains and DAs looking for their renegade brothers is pretty thin. And not a very compelling hook in the 40k as is- which is why I think GW recently kinda blew up the The Rock and let Luther go free. LOL.
    But they are the Army I collected for nearly 2 decades T___T I guess GreyKnights and the DaemonHunters could be pretty awesome. they could go full Anime style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hence the thread about impossible movies and shows.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I just want to see wolverine or agents of shield character make it into an avengers movie
    isn't the Inhumans movie going to tie in heavily with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The Agents of Shield thing could happen. Now I want to see the Netflix heroes encounter the movie ones.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Warcraft animated TV show set between Third War and Vanilla, Clone Wars style, about a group of adventurers.
    it would even work for most of WoW, just keep the main focus off the well known characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    But they are the Army I collected for nearly 2 decades T___T I guess GreyKnights and the DaemonHunters could be pretty awesome. they could go full Anime style.
    Sure , on TT DA were kinda broken OP. Not Elder brokenness, but DA had better bikes than WS and could nearly keep pace with low PT DE/Nek.

Lore wise... eh. DA are kinda thin.

Most of the first founding chapters are dull post-HH. I think that is why the HH is having such a big resurgence the last 5 years or so.

We'll see what happens after the Fall of Cadia. But loyalists are not that interesting outside of the pockets fan service like GK, DW, Minos.

Could do a mini series, Netflix style, on Astral Knights. That would be bad ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rainbow Six

Since they haven't made it yet, they probably never will.

Amorality is a major component of all grimdark literature. There can be no 'good' or 'bad' guys. Levity is anathema to grimness.
    Depends what you mean by good or bad. Nobody is likely to get through a grimdark story 100% good, and rarely you will have somebody who has no redeeming qualities. Morality will always be a major topic. But characters that most would still put in the camp of "the good guys" can exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Depends what you mean by good or bad. Nobody is likely to get through a grimdark story 100% good, and rarely you will have somebody who has no redeeming qualities. Morality will always be a major topic. But characters that most would still put in the camp of "the good guys" can exist.
    They would not prevail however.

What was the last major sci-fi film which had a morally ambiguous protagonist whose actions are neither hopeful, inspiring (positively) or idealized?

Loken is a racist, a single minded man, cruel, murderous and seeks to destroy anything different than he. He's the lead of the Lunar Wolves novels early on.. and he loses. Every one desiring to avert massive loss of life, promote enlightenment, peace and improve life- they lose. Big time.

That is a grim and dark narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    A pair of Twisted Metal Movies, directed by Rob Zombie and based on the first four games with a bit of the post-Black lore thrown in.

Basically, it is from the perspective of the original drivers of Outlaw, with their original story in place. The climax to the first movie happens on the rooftops of Tokyo, with Outlaw battling the remaining competitors Sweet Tooth and Minion. Sweet Tooth is taken out first, and Outlaw finally uses its special EMP move to disable Minion, seemingly winning the tournament. However, Minion bursts from his tank, revealing his demon form. He charges the battle-crippled Outlaw, knocking the car off of the rooftops. A brief shot of Calypso's ring glowing indicates it has consumed another soul. But as soon as the car falls from sight, directly behind it is revealed the broken Sweet Tooth, playing possum. With the trademark laugh, the clown head rockets from the ice cream truck, hitting Minion right in the chest and splattering his insides all over his tank. Sweet Tooth wins, and wishes for Calypso's ring as a reward, leading to his Twisted Metal and the Carnival from the fourth game. In a post credits scene, a bloody hand emerges from the ruins of Outlaw, showing one of the two drivers survived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would love to have a HBO-like series that was based on the Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k tabletop game.
    I'm throwing money at the screen, but this still isn't real thing!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30