Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    The issue here isn't looking down at people who want to return to the original game, good or bad, it's the tantrums and inability to accept "no" from a specific group of people that drives these threads. Certain suspects cry all the time about "anti-vanilla' attitudes, when that is a minute, obscure part of the discussion - the issues have been Blizzard saying it's too much work, and too expensive, and certain suspects throwing tantrums and making up fairy tales to rebut that - and now concocting "promises" when none were made - this is just impatience and a furthering of their agenda, dressed up in different paint. Their agenda is obvious, and it's not surprising at all they've started the drumbeat again with this thread, now that the other thread was (mercifully) killed. And, I suspect the same will happen to this one, because the tired old arguments are being hauled out, yet again, and the same circular arguments being started, by the same people.
    That's the crux of it. I looked at the patch notes once for a private server a while back, and it was constant, non-stop work to fix tons of bugs. Blizzard would have to pay market rates for a team to do what those servers do for next to nothing, and that's just the maintenance on top of the immense cost of dragging out the original code, getting it up to coding standards, weaving in security and hardware fixes, and all of the testing hours to ensure it is as accurate as possible to what things were then.

Then after that, can you imagine the outcry when people realize it's just this one patch and not their favorite patch? Why not just create a server for every single patch? We'll have a half dozen for classic, a few for TBC, and so on. No, Blizzard is better off just staying away from such a quagmire.

Enjoy your vanilla clown armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    As it should be. Current content and future content development should always have priority over Legacy servers when there are finite resources.
    True, but these nostalgia zealots wont accept that...they think they're important...they can't accept that Blizzard has moved onto bigger and better things...they can't let go the past and grow up...they think that Blizzard is just going to whip up a brand new server for them in a few months...if they're even going to do it at all.

Come on zealots...do you really think Blizzard is stupid enough to waste all of that time on a server that will likely fail after a few months when people get bored of playing the same thing over and over and over with no updates ever?

Why do you think with every expansion the population of WoW shoots up....than as time passes it slowly goes down? Because people have done the new stuff and wait for more...well Vanilla isn't going to have that rise...ever...everyone has done everything there is to do in vanilla...vanilla servers are a stupid moronic idea...just let the nostalgia go already...if you want to play the shittiest version of WoW...you have your pirate servers...go play them.

Stop bothering people with useless threads likes these in a weak attempt to make it look like the topic is bigger than it is...you think the more topics you make on here the more it will seem like the people want vanilla servers? Well it wont because its the few same old losers who keep posting and asking for a vanilla server.

Vanilla was a piece of shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Maduk View Post
    Yes, Russia is quite an asshole in this regard.
    They just intentionally make problems when anything american is involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

Thats BC clown armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's the crux of it. I looked at the patch notes once for a private server a while back, and it was constant, non-stop work to fix tons of bugs. Blizzard would have to pay market rates for a team to do what those servers do for next to nothing, and that's just the maintenance on top of the immense cost of dragging out the original code, getting it up to coding standards, weaving in security and hardware fixes, and all of the testing hours to ensure it is as accurate as possible to what things were then.

Then after that, can you imagine the outcry when people realize it's just this one patch and not their favorite patch? Why not just create a server for every single patch? We'll have a half dozen for classic, a few for TBC, and so on. No, Blizzard is better off just staying away from such a quagmire.
    To me, it comes down to them (Blizzard) making a decision, one way or the other, and sticking with it. WoW was designed as an iterative game, that was intended to evolve and change as time went on. Looking back, sure, they could have done things to keep the original game intact, but they chose the path they did, and what the legacy people are asking them to do is change the business model for the game - and they don't understand how big a deal that is, or how much work it is. Also, it would not stop the flood of demands - if they release a vanilla game, then the drum beat starts for every expansion. Where does it end? That's a significant change to how they design and plan and sell the game.

I don't doubt that a lot of devs think it's a fun idea, even said that they see it as a way of preserving the legacy of the game...but at what cost? That's the hurdle that they can't get over, easily. If it were cheap and easy - it would be done by now.

This thread will just be a continuation of the mega-thread - there's a specific group of posters who can't get past 'I want", refuse to let the issue drop, even for now, and will make up anything to defend their agenda, and will attack anyone who even hints at a conclusion of them not happening. You can say you're not against the idea of legacy servers until you're blue in the face, and they'll spit "You just hate vanilla!" right back in your face, and accuse you of all kinds of things, to muddy the water and drive anyone who says anything contrary to their "I want!" out.

I won't tell you guys how to moderate this forum, but honestly, what purpose is this thread serving? It's already turned into the mega-thread, and the discussion of pirate servers is happening. I think anyone who cares understands what the issues are by this point, and the basis of this thread is based on a fiction, that Blizzard promised anything.

They could just buy what was already done. Legal mumbo-jumbo aside, it is the easiest route. Or have another sit down with coders and discuss how it all works (paid for, naturally, people like $$).

As to creating servers for each expansion, I'd say start out slow. I would guarantee spikes on TBC and WotLK releases, years down the road. I'll be in the queue, I promise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    They could just buy what was already done. Legal mumbo-jumbo aside, it is the easiest route. Or have another sit down with coders and discuss how it all works (paid for, naturally, people like $$).
    What was done is supposition. Someone took a compiled client and, based on past experience, guides, and videos, rebuilt the backend of it. It's not the same. Blizzard has coding standards that must be adhered to and has to pay market rates for the people doing the work, all things a home-built private server can't afford.

Flooding MMOC with yet another legacy server thread is going to make it happen. Keep it up.

: ) /s
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

I am not talking about having coffee, which is, by the nature of needing to eat and drink to survive, a repetitive event with no end. Your comparison is ridiculous.
    It's aimed at showing your definition was ridiculous. So yeah, it's ridiculous, that's the point. You just missed the part where it just used your own words. Maybe you should realize the problem is your definition of nostalgia, not how it can be used to point how broken the definition is.
    Nostalgia is the wistful/sentimental feelings you get when you think about a past event, such as where you grew up, old friends, games you played as child, devices/technology no longer available, even something as simple as gas prices. Sometimes nostalgia can be satisfied by playing those old games, getting out those old things, or visiting places you've been in the past.
    Yes, that is the correct definition. Nostalgia is the "good" feeling you get when thinking back about good memories.
    Any desire to do something again from your past, not a necessarily repetitive event (like breathing, seriously??), is based on nostalgic feelings and desire. That's not a bad thing. It is human nature to romanticize the past and remember it as better than it was, and visiting it again can be therapeutic and a good way to relieve stress (depending).
    *sigh*
    You manage to correctly define nostalgia in one paragraph, and then just give a completely stupid definition in the very next. Are you even reading yourself ?

No, doing something from the past doesn't mean nostalgia. That's just plain retarded.
    If I play chess it's not because of nostalgia. If I watch movies it's not because of nostalgia. Firing up a new game of Civilization is not nostalgia just because I already played one in the past.

Nostalgia is about getting good feelings from memories. Having fun on something because you like it is not nostalgia just because you already had fun with it in the past. Seriously, that's just utterly idiotic.

What was done is supposition. Someone took a compiled client and, based on past experience, guides, and videos, rebuilt the backend of it. It's not the same. Blizzard has coding standards that must be adhered to and has to pay market rates for the people doing the work, all things a home-built private server can't afford.
    This aspect was covered in depth in the previous thread, and the devs addressed it specifically - and they will not be using the pirated server's code, period, it's completely incompatible. This is exactly what I'm talking about, this is the same old endless circular arguments being brought up again - perhaps intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Basically a 50/50 chance. They're either a) just giving people false hope and hoping the "hype" dies down or b) they are working on something but it's not anywhere near a priority for them as I imagine it's Legion > Next xpac > legacy or something similar.

Honestly if they implement anything I don't think it's going to be legacy. Probably going to be more along the lines of this "pristine" realm stuff.

You do realize they hired a couple of the folks that worked on that one private server around the time of the interview the OP mentions, right?
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

That's TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    You do realize they hired a couple of the folks that worked on that one private server around the time of the interview the OP mentions, right?
    They did? That's news to pretty much everyone. Have any proof of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That's TBC.
    Oh wow, my bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, blizzard if you're reading this fix the live game. I am not interested in legacy servers at all.

Oh wow, my bad...

You managed to show that some items had clashing appearances in Vanilla.
    I guess... gratz ? Yay ?

That was PR talk for "shut up". Did you Really think they would take legacy servers seriously? They have always given a firm NO to the issue. They were just doing damage control at that point to get those for them to shut up and stay content Thinking they care about legacy servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I guess... gratz ? Yay ?
    To be fair it was the case a lot. Unless you finished your Dungeon Set or Tier Pieces. Sorry but Transmog is a godsend to the game quality of life wise. Means I can make my Shaman actually look nice instead of shite because of his shoulders that don't match the rest of the gear.

I guess... gratz ? Yay ?
    Did you even play vanilla? Welcome to what 95% of people looked like even at end game.