Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    this still means on 1 boss fights malefric grasp will be better, it just means on fights like dragons mythic you do writhe, as you can keep the soul effigy up 24/7 on ysondre
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

UGG! I literally hate that talent Soul Effigy, yet the want to force it down our throats if we want optimal dps. Mages in the last expansion had a version of it with prismatic shard thing and most mages were forced to take that shit talent, fortunately they lucked out got good talents in replace and locks got screwed with a version of it. Only upside is its not all specs, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Not for 99.9% of raid content, but raid content is not all PvE content. It's not all that bad for open world and easier dungeons, something that lots of people do. It might even be better than MG for AP grind boost runs.
    You're right, it isn't all raid content, but I tried running it in some M+ and it just didn't seem good enough. The real issue isn't haunt getting reset but you are only refunded 1-2 shards when you kill something if you're also draining into it. There is no soul swapping of dots, or a fully replenished shard count for the next target. And most world mobs die so quickly it doesn't matter. You can dump 2 uas on something, drain it, watch it die in 1 tick and then get your 2 shards back.

It may have a place, and where you aren't minmaxing like in wqs, it may be more fun to use and no noticeable difference in time, I just don't see how it could ever outperform in it's current state. It would needs it's cd cut down to 15 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gen4Glock21 View Post
    UGG! I literally hate that talent Soul Effigy, yet the want to force it down our throats if we want optimal dps. Mages in the last expansion had a version of it with prismatic shard thing and most mages were forced to take that shit talent, fortunately they lucked out got good talents in replace and locks got screwed with a version of it. Only upside is its not all specs, yay!
    If your goal is to 100% do the most damage possible, you should have to use the more difficult talents. SC should never outperform SE, as SC is mindless and has no skill cap. But no one is forcing you to do anything. You can use SC and do close enough damage that no raid leader should yell at you. there were two EU guys using SC very well in 7.1, putting up a few top 20 parses. It shouldn't be much different now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    It might even be better than MG for AP grind boost runs.
    Nope. Simply going MG / Contagion / Sow / SC covers all of those bases, and out damages haunt in any situation where you're not applying your face to seed.

- - - Updated - - -

Prismatic Crystal and Soul effigy are literally nothing alike mechanically.
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    Nope. Simply going MG / Contagion / Sow / SC covers all of those bases, and out damages haunt in any situation where you're not applying your face to seed.
    Applying your face to seed is the vast majority of boost runs.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    You're right, it isn't all raid content, but I tried running it in some M+ and it just didn't seem good enough. The real issue isn't haunt getting reset but you are only refunded 1-2 shards when you kill something if you're also draining into it. There is no soul swapping of dots, or a fully replenished shard count for the next target. And most world mobs die so quickly it doesn't matter. You can dump 2 uas on something, drain it, watch it die in 1 tick and then get your 2 shards back.

It may have a place, and where you aren't minmaxing like in wqs, it may be more fun to use and no noticeable difference in time, I just don't see how it could ever outperform in it's current state. It would needs it's cd cut down to 15 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

If your goal is to 100% do the most damage possible, you should have to use the more difficult talents. SC should never outperform SE, as SC is mindless and has no skill cap. But no one is forcing you to do anything. You can use SC and do close enough damage that no raid leader should yell at you. there were two EU guys using SC very well in 7.1, putting up a few top 20 parses. It shouldn't be much different now.
    There is absolutely nothing hard about SE, its a shitty designed spell period and lacks any creativity.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Prismatic Crystal and Soul effigy are literally nothing alike mechanically.
    Hmm lets see cast SE, I.E. target dummy, stack dots or blow it up, sure it last pretty much the whole fight and it transfers some damage to target. Prismatic Crystal cast target dummy, blow it up and it transfers damage to targets near it. Sure the amount transfer and numbers they produce is different but the basic mechanic of transferring damage is similar. I see some similarities and if it was such a wonderful talent why was it dumped?
    Last edited by Gen4Glock21; 2017-01-15 at 07:12 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hmm lets see cast SE, I.E. target dummy, stack dots or blow it up, sure it last pretty much the whole fight and it transfers some damage to target. Prismatic Crystal cast target dummy, blow it up and it transfers damage to targets near it. I see some similarities and if it was such a wonderful talent why was it dumped?
    Prismatic Crystal: Used for a 10 second burst window to dump 90% of the mage's damage inside of that window. Most effective when fights last literally 10 seconds.

Soul Effigy: used to provide 3 extra dot slots on a single target over a 10 minute window at reduced damage, allowing for improved damage over time. Most effective on fights that last greater than 1 minute.

??????
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Prismatic Crystal: Used for a 10 second burst window to dump 90% of the mage's damage inside of that window. Most effective when fights last literally 10 seconds.

Soul Effigy: used to provide 3 extra dot slots on a single target over a 10 minute window at reduced damage, allowing for improved damage over time. Most effective on fights that last greater than 1 minute.

??????
    Your point???? You cast a immovable object, cast spells on it, it transfers damage. Sounds the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your point???? You cast a immovable object, cast spells on it, it transfers damage. Sounds the same.
    They function COMPLETELY different. Thats like saying arms warrior and rogues are the same thing "Cause they hit buttons in melee range"
    Don't be like haunt guy.

They function COMPLETELY different. Thats like saying arms warrior and rogues are the same thing "Cause they hit buttons in melee range"
    Good point, you have convinced me, casting spells on an object that then transfers damage to other targets is completely different. Also 90% I am no expert but I have played and played with some good mages and never have I ever seen that 90% of their damage was from crystal it was typically top 4 but not anything close to 90% of their damage.
    Last edited by Gen4Glock21; 2017-01-15 at 08:07 AM.

There is absolutely nothing hard about SE, its a shitty designed spell period and lacks any creativity.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm lets see cast SE, I.E. target dummy, stack dots or blow it up, sure it last pretty much the whole fight and it transfers some damage to target. Prismatic Crystal cast target dummy, blow it up and it transfers damage to targets near it. Sure the amount transfer and numbers they produce is different but the basic mechanic of transferring damage is similar. I see some similarities and if it was such a wonderful talent why was it dumped?
    If SE is so simple then why does everyone bitch about it so much? If it did 100% damage to the target I doubt you'd hate it so much. Effigy is simple on easy fights and gains difficulty with more targets, but it 100% always requires more effort than Conduit does. The end.

I just find it disappointing that there's no modulation for the value of weaker dots like Siphon Life or Corruptions where they are not worthwhile to cast on effigy for the most part if running MG outside having AC or "movement".

It should be worthwhile to apply all your dots on effigy always, period.

People would complain that makes effigy dominant, but that's more of a problem with SC and especially Phantom Singularity being hella undertuned.

I'd love for Phantom Singularity to become a thing outside gimmick aoe. I like active spells with cooldowns, it adds an extra layer to encounter knowledge that's fun to manage.

If SE is so simple then why does everyone bitch about it so much? If it did 100% damage to the target I doubt you'd hate it so much. Effigy is simple on easy fights and gains difficulty with more targets, but it 100% always requires more effort than Conduit does. The end.
    I don't know, maybe because it lacks any creativity? its boring? With the new buff to shard generation it will likely be the only talent used in that row. For the record SC also sucks and is boring and IMO that last row should have 3 cool fun talents to pick from not one.

I don't know, maybe because it lacks any creativity? its boring? With the new buff to shard generation it will likely be the only talent used in that row. For the record SC also sucks and is boring and IMO that last row should have 3 cool fun talents to pick from not one.
    It's not a buff, it's a bug fix. The fact it had a 100% chance to generate a shard is exactly why it was such a strong pick for single target since affliction shard generation on single target is abysmal without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    It's not a buff, it's a bug fix. The fact it had a 100% chance to generate a shard is exactly why it was such a strong pick for single target since affliction shard generation on single target is abysmal without it.
    It has never had a 100% chance to generate shards since legion has been live. And by 100% I mean effigy has never acted like any other hostile target for the purposes of shard generation. It has always had a reduced chance.

It has never had a 100% chance to generate shards since legion has been live. And by 100% I mean effigy has never acted like any other hostile target for the purposes of shard generation. It has always had a reduced chance.
    100% of the chance it previously had, not the reduced chance seen with the 7.1.5 bug.

100% of the chance it previously had, not the reduced chance seen with the 7.1.5 bug.
    There is no reduced chance. There is no bug that happened with 7.1.5. There are a lot of people that are just finding out that SE never acted like another mob because they're ignorant, and pretending like it's new information that warlocks didn't know about. Effigy has always generated a shard approximately 1 every 11 ticks on it, as long as Legion has been live, unlike a normal mob which is about 1 every 6.5 ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Haunt is viable in PvP.
    Is it?
    Cause I thought, you know, it's basically a dispellable cooldown?
    While MG applies pressure when needed, where needed.
    I am no PvP player but i'd prob go with MG 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reduced chance. There is no bug that happened with 7.1.5. There are a lot of people that are just finding out that SE never acted like another mob because they're ignorant, and pretending like it's new information that warlocks didn't know about. Effigy has always generated a shard approximately 1 every 11 ticks on it, as long as Legion has been live, unlike a normal mob which is about 1 every 6.5 ticks.
    Know what mate?
    The fact that we rely on generous people who are not paid a cent by Blizzard to give their time and sim so we can simply know what the heck it is that a spell does exactly.. it has started to really piss me off.

Next time you find out something like that months before anyone knows, mind sharing that information with everyone? It's pretty easy to claim you knew something AFTER said information was released.
    Last edited by Duckz0rs; 2017-01-15 at 01:44 PM.

I just find it disappointing that there's no modulation for the value of weaker dots like Siphon Life or Corruptions where they are not worthwhile to cast on effigy for the most part if running MG outside having AC or "movement".

It should be worthwhile to apply all your dots on effigy always, period.

People would complain that makes effigy dominant, but that's more of a problem with SC and especially Phantom Singularity being hella undertuned.

I'd love for Phantom Singularity to become a thing outside gimmick aoe. I like active spells with cooldowns, it adds an extra layer to encounter knowledge that's fun to manage.
    It's certainly counter-intuitive that you only put one (or two if AC) dot on it
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.