Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What would the world lose if wasps or hornets went extinct?

Like holy fucking SHIT, FUCK these monsters. They invade your property, they are horrific to look at or outright squash because of their crunchiness, they can kill you, they kill bees, they make no honey or do anything. Even animals like bears are afraid of wasps.

They're fucking parasites and I don't see the justification for their existence. It's not like frogs can eat them seeing how, you know, they're resilient enough to overpower such animals often.

Dealing with them near your house is such a pain in the ass and unsettling.

im sure they eat something that needs to be eaten, that's what nature does, eat itself so more selves can be born

10+ Year Old Account
    wasps and hornets are predatory and eat other bugs, so the populations of things they eat would get unimaginably large
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

As others said, other pest control. A lot of nuisances solve other nuisances.

Imagine how nasty they are for something their size

Deleted
    I think there is another species that is a lot worse for the planet.

Sorry you feel that way, nature is complex.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many wasps and hornets act as pollinators for flowers or are predators of other insects.

If you want an insect family to be eliminated, you should try for mosquitoes. Those are actually problematic to human civilization beyond the occasional annoying sting.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rrant-existing

The first time the OP asked the exact same question. Ya'll been Jaylock'd

Wasps do a whole lotta pest control. Deal with 'em.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're allergic I don't see the problem. Mosquitoes are a lot more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Unless you're allergic I don't see the problem. Mosquitoes are a lot more annoying.
    so you don't see a problem with them stinging you and making home next to your house?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    so you don't see a problem with them stinging you and making home next to your house?
    I would certainly get the nest removed. They can do serious harm. But I do not advocate for their global eradication.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I would certainly get the nest removed. They can do serious harm. But I do not advocate for their global eradication.
    well that's what they do around the world.

I can't believe people want mosquitoes to go away. They feed frogs.

In addition to reducing insect populations, they're also pollinators.

Oh look, here you go:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7144306.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

We would lose fucking annoying bugs only.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Could make the same argument for humans.
    I didn't meet any nice wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    wasps and hornets are predatory and eat other bugs, so the populations of things they eat would get unimaginably large
    Not really, they're probably not the only predators that eat certain type of bugs(though I'm not sure). Nature would balance itself... Maybe we would have more spiders?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I just changed one word, left a couple out and voila, a post written by any animal on the planet

Damn, you beat me

- - - Updated - - -

THAT demands global eradication? Hey, lets kill off any other species that is mildly annoying like mosquitoes. They also transfer diseases between humans like Malaria

Jesus..are we in the "arguments that 5 year old make" territory. Ok, I play... "But frogs can just eat flies"
    They can't (or at least easily) eat wasps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I didn't meet any nice wasp.
    And how many "nice" humans are out there for animals? Who would go full natural just to appease the planet? Wasps are just doing what they need to do to live. Humans suffer pretty badly from greed and wastefulness that harms the planet daily. We should all be living in small shacks made entirely from wood and leaves without electricity, or clothes that isn't from an animal you hunted for the meat and realized its fur made for a perfect coat.

The world's bee population is already dangerously on the decline and you want to get rid of the next closest pollinators?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Maybe some types of wasps and hornets are more aggressive than they are here. They generally don't hunt for humans or try to sting unless you flails your hands at them or get right up to their nest. The types we have here don't sting as long as you let them be, safer to practically ignore them than to try to smack them. Wasps all over the place here, haven't been stung in 20 years.
    Nests are a bit of a hassle to remove, but you can remove them.

They're a good part of the ecosystem and very little trouble for the most part, don't know why you'd want them extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Many wasps and hornets act as pollinators for flowers or are predators of other insects.

If you want an insect family to be eliminated, you should try for mosquitoes. Those are actually problematic to human civilization beyond the occasional annoying sting.
    So are many others, including wasps which have killed people due to anaphylactic shock.
    For some it is more than an "annoying sting".

Though the points made earlier about their role are true.
    We can't just eliminate even one insect without consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.