Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What to do? Insane rating drop!

I write this in a combination of panic and frustration.

I was 2500 rated the other day, doing fine, and now I get placed in one trash team after another. You know, teams with Hanzo on attack, with 0 voice and with no game sense.

I am now at 1400 rating and it just keep going down. I feel like I'm placed in some kind of cursed matchmaking pool. I have 29 losses in a row now.

During these 29 games I got 103 gold medals. That's on avarage 3,5 per game. I know you don't win with medals but it show that I at least try quite hard.

I'm getting seriously depressed now. EVERY game is a loss now and I fear I will actually hit 0 rating.

What can I do? Is there any way to find people to play with? I have 0 friends who play this and everyone I play with is quite bad. Am I doomed or how can I get out of this?

My rule of thumb: Play until you lose one. Then stop for the day. If you lost 29 matches in a row, chances are you were getting more and more frustrated, causing your ability to plummet farther.

Take a break, and work your way back up slowly.

Just by doing that I went from 2100~ to 3400~
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    Why do you keep playing at all, 1 loss with teams like you're describing almost gets me to quit, another one always does. It's just silly to actually keep going for 29 losses in 2 days. Batmans rule of thumb of playing until losing one isn't bad at all.

Even if you get constant golds, you are probably getting frustrated meaning you are not probably communicating either, or even worse being negative to your teammates. That has always a very bad effect on the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am also in a bit of a spiral, but I would recommend stopping after 1 or 2 loses. If you do more games, you will be frustrated and not play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I write this in a combination of panic and frustration.

I was 2500 rated the other day, doing fine, and now I get placed in one trash team after another. You know, teams with Hanzo on attack, with 0 voice and with no game sense.

I am now at 1400 rating and it just keep going down. I feel like I'm placed in some kind of cursed matchmaking pool. I have 29 losses in a row now.

During these 29 games I got 103 gold medals. That's on avarage 3,5 per game. I know you don't win with medals but it show that I at least try quite hard.

I'm getting seriously depressed now. EVERY game is a loss now and I fear I will actually hit 0 rating.

What can I do? Is there any way to find people to play with? I have 0 friends who play this and everyone I play with is quite bad. Am I doomed or how can I get out of this?
    Weren't there a single player during those 29 matches which you think did well? If so, add them to your friends list and group up. I was placed at 1800 and crawled up to platinum over 3 evenings just by making sure I'm always grouped with 1-2 other people who I can trust to do their job. Often, it doesn't take more than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems to just be how the game works this season. Need around a four to one win / loss ratio to progress.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That seems to just be how the game works this season. Need around a four to one win / loss ratio to progress.
    Perhaps because you cant Progress your "SkillRating -> SR" if you dont progress your actual skill and gameplay?
    if you need 4 wins, 1 lose to CLIMB sr then you ARE at your actual SkillRating because if you do 2:2 you should stay, 1:3 drop. Seems fine huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingbongbrothers View Post
    Perhaps because you cant Progress your "SkillRating -> SR" if you dont progress your actual skill and gameplay?
    if you need 4 wins, 1 lose to CLIMB sr then you ARE at your actual SkillRating because if you do 2:2 you should stay, 1:3 drop. Seems fine huh?
    And yet, the higher I go the less I lose for a loss. So... yeah.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    My rule of thumb: Play until you lose one. Then stop for the day. If you lost 29 matches in a row, chances are you were getting more and more frustrated, causing your ability to plummet farther.

Take a break, and work your way back up slowly.

Just by doing that I went from 2100~ to 3400~
    Damn so I only get to play once a day

God forbid people play just to play. Your enjoyment is more tied to your rating than the game, that's a problem.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

7+ Year Old Account
    I hit 2919 yesterday. Plummeted to 2470, it is just up and down all the time. I prefer being in a team of 4 but even if we do lose a game we go on for 5 games. If it is a 50/50 win/lose thing we go on. If we lose more than we gain we take a break for 30 min or so. I only care about the sr if I reach 2700+, anything below I focus hard on just having fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    God forbid people play just to play. Your enjoyment is more tied to your rating than the game, that's a problem.
    Naw, I dont care about the rating. Its the 10 losses in a row where people quit, refuse to adjust to the other team or actively play to lose that's got me down. Well not even down... more bored I guess.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2017-01-12 at 10:04 PM.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Last season I got into the mindset that I couldn't stop unless I won a match. Big mistake. I dropped 200~ or SR this way, and just stopped playing competitive entirely because I didn't want to lose more.

This season, I take a break whenever I lose a match or two. I've found my winrate has drastically improved, and I've gone up nearly 400~ SR from where I placed already, and I'm still going up.

That's really it: stop playing after a loss or two, otherwise you will tilt and continue your loss streak. I've had teammates like you, whining at the start of the match that they've lost [insert amount of matches] in a row. Just take a break, you'll be doing yourself (and everyone else you'll play with) a favour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Last season I got into the mindset that I couldn't stop unless I won a match. Big mistake. I dropped 200~ or SR this way, and just stopped playing competitive entirely because I didn't want to lose more.

This season, I take a break whenever I lose a match or two. I've found my winrate has drastically improved, and I've gone up nearly 400~ SR from where I placed already, and I'm still going up.

That's really it: stop playing after a loss or two, otherwise you will tilt and continue your loss streak. I've had teammates like you, whining at the start of the match that they've lost [insert amount of matches] in a row. Just take a break, you'll be doing yourself (and everyone else you'll play with) a favour.
    That would more or less prevent me from playing at all. Once you fall down into the teens, a chain of losses seems inevitable.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That would more or less prevent me from playing at all. Once you fall down into the teens, a chain of losses seems inevitable.
    Well, drop that attitude. Thinking a loss is inevitable is exactly why you are losing.

The lower you get, the more important individual performance is. While I have never been in bronze/silver, I'm certain it'd be easy to carry the team simply playing a hero like Soldier 76. If you can't do that, maybe you deserve the rank you are at.

Well, drop that attitude. Thinking a loss is inevitable is exactly why you are losing.

The lower you get, the more important individual performance is. While I have never been in bronze/silver, I'm certain it'd be easy to carry the team simply playing a hero like Soldier 76. If you can't do that, maybe you deserve the rank you are at.
    Yeah, either you can carry the team or you deserve to be losing overall rank.

That sounds like good ol' balance, alright

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Yeah, either you can carry the team or you deserve to be losing overall rank.

That sounds like good ol' balance, alright
    At low ranks? Yes. If you think you're Diamond+ you should have literally no issue carrying a team full of Bronze players.

At other ranks it's different, obviously. Still, the only constant in each game is you. If you're losing more often than you are winning, chances are there is something you are doing wrong.

Remember: the enemy team has to deal with throwers, shit teammates, etc too. It's not like you're the only person suffering. Therefore, it should eventually balance out, and if you're good you will continue to rise.

At low ranks? Yes. If you think you're Diamond+ you should have literally no issue carrying a team full of Bronze players.

At other ranks it's different, obviously. Still, the only constant in each game is you. If you're losing more often than you are winning, chances are there is something you are doing wrong.

Remember: the enemy team has to deal with throwers, shit teammates, etc too. It's not like you're the only person suffering. Therefore, it should eventually balance out, and if you're good you will continue to rise.
    Irrelevant if one should or not be able to carry.
    If one, to go up the ladder, has to carry the team or one "deserves what they are getting", in my honest opinion, that screams that there is a bad balance issue around W\L points.

Deleted
    The best thing you can do is take a break after a lose. I played a few games with 2 friends yesterday, and called it after 2 subsequent losses. They kept playing and dropped from 3,6k to 3050.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Irrelevant if one should or not be able to carry.
    If one, to go up the ladder, has to carry the team or one "deserves what they are getting", in my honest opinion, that screams that there is a bad balance issue around W\L points.
    Did you even read my post? Christ.

People do rise. If you aren't rising, why is that? Maybe it's because you're just not good.