Page 1 of 43
... LastLast

20% of food stamps spent on soda & junk food.

Over all, the report found, SNAP households spent about 40 cents of every dollar at the grocery store on “basic items” like meat, fruits, vegetables, milk, eggs and bread. Another 40 cents of every dollar was spent on “cereal, prepared foods, dairy products, rice and beans.” Lastly, 20 cents of each dollar was spent on a broad category of junk foods that included “sweetened beverages, desserts, salty snacks, candy and sugar.”

SNAP households spent 9.3 percent of their grocery budgets on soft drinks alone. That was slightly higher than the 7.1 percent figure for households that do not receive food stamps..

The U.S.D.A. concluded that both food stamp recipients and other households generally made similar purchases.

But several public health experts said the findings were deeply troubling.

David Ludwig, the director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children’s Hospital, said the purpose of SNAP was to protect the health and well-being of the nation, not to ensure that poor households had ample access to sugary drinks.

Source Article
    Take what you will from the article I suppose.

Food deserts.

Food in the us is addictive shit loaded with sugar

Not surprising

But i guess what you want us to do is bash those people until they don't have any joy in life for their sin of being poor

Maybe if the healthy stuff was cheaper than the non-healthy stuff those with SNAP where every penny matters would buy it instead.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sugar is the cheapest macro-nutrient, next to saturated and trans-fat. They should eat healthier but we can't blame them from a financial perspective. A high protein diet is good but also costs a bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healthy food is more expensive.

Two, who the hell cares? It is that important to regulate what people in poverty eat? Is it going to prevent them from having a job if they buy a soda?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A high protein diet is good but also costs a bit more.
    I personally believe it is more complicated that than and it gets into portion size.

Yes more healthy food can be expensive, but its somewhat counter-productive when people are overeating that food as well.

Some people eat enough food in one sitting that could be rationed out into 3 separate meals.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-01-14 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    SNAP households spent 9.3 percent of their grocery budgets on soft drinks alone. That was slightly higher than the 7.1 percent figure for households that do not receive food stamps.
    Dumb people buy more junk food than smarter people. No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    Maybe if the healthy stuff was cheaper than the non-healthy stuff those with SNAP where every penny matters would buy it instead.
    When you can buy pizza or McMeals etc so damn cheap and make it last - healthy meals become a luxury many can't afford.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Junk food is cheaper. More news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

Two, who the hell cares? It is that important to regulate what people in poverty eat? Is it going to prevent them from having a job if they buy a soda?
    Well some Doctors care I guess based on the article?

Doesn't bother me. It's not anybodies business what someone buys with the money they were alotted in food stamps. You have a right to disagree with it but that's as far as it should go.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Not when it comes to drinks. Tap water costs almost nothing. Tea costs very little compared to soda. Heat up some water, make tea -> stay healthier and save money.

10+ Year Old Account

Party of small government wants to regulate what you eat, who you marry, whether you carry a baby to term, what contraceptives you use and what god you worship.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Not when it comes to drinks. Tap water costs almost nothing. Tea costs very little compared to soda. Heat up some water, make tea -> stay healthier and save money.
    That really works when you need a sugar rush to get ready for ur 2nd job or to go to ur first job.

Ontopic: Junk/unhealthy food is way more cheaper.......
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-14 at 08:59 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Dumb people buy more junk food than smarter people. No surprise there.
    According to the article:
    The U.S.D.A. concluded that both food stamp recipients and other households generally made similar purchases.
    You're wrong. On average everyone buys pretty much the same the same stuff regardless of intelligence and income.
    Signature not found

Or heck just buy a bag of rice, peanut butter, toast, a whole chicken (use all the parts, freeze), and some spinach. Cheap as hell for the calories/nutrients you get.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not surprising. The top food based on caloric intake for the entire US population is grain-based desserts, i.e. cookies, cake, doughnuts, pastries, etc. Bread is #2, chicken is #3, and soda is #4. And that's for the whole of the country.

Adding up all of the sugary/junk food crap on the list (which I'll link at the end), you end up with 20.54% of all US consumption being soda and junk food, so it's about right on average.

(source p25 - PDF WARNING)

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    According to the article:

You're wrong. On average everyone buys pretty much the same the same stuff regardless of intelligence and income.
    That doesn't prove anything about intelligence (or being able to make smart choices and self-discipline), just being poor enough to be on food stamps vs not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That really works need you need a sugar rush to get ready for ur 2nd job or to go to ur first job.

Ontopic: Junk/unhealthy food is way more cheaper.......
    Coffee with no sugar takes what, 30 seconds to make? (just playing devils advocate)