7+ Year Old Account

Question Streaming on Twitch.tv

I'm trying to get into streaming on twitch, but it weird's me out seeing myself on camera, anybody have any experience streaming and have any general tips?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a likable personality, your game play has to stand out if you really want to get anywhere or just be super good at whatever game you're playing. So either become good or find a niche and only do that. Build your personality around that etc.

If all else fails become a hot girl and start raking in that moola

Deleted
    Wear a mask

10+ Year Old Account
    start without a camera

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crypt View Post
    start without a camera
    I think this is what I'll end up doing, the reason behind it is that I see a preview feed which is delayed about 10 seconds, so I want to find a way to see all the dashboard stuff that I want to see, but not be distracted by seeing me 10 seconds ago. Merp

Also for content, I am going to start out with Dark Souls 3 I think, I have a bit of an unorthodox play style I'm told, so hopefully some people will find it interesting.
    I do not ever use a shield, don't even equip one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Wear a mask
    PERFECT

thank you for answering all of my questions <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Have a likable personality, your game play has to stand out if you really want to get anywhere or just be super good at whatever game you're playing. So either become good or find a niche and only do that. Build your personality around that etc.

If all else fails become a hot girl and start raking in that moola
    Right though? Even if a girl streamer doesn't act or talk dirty or sexual at all on stream, they still wear a summer dress and put on makeup. Not complaining, but I certainly don't look as good with eyeliner as they do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    I'm trying to get into streaming on twitch, but it weird's me out seeing myself on camera, anybody have any experience streaming and have any general tips?
    General tips:

• Do what works for you: If the webcam makes you uncomfortable or whatever, there's no rule that says you have to use it.
    • Be yourself - relax, take a breath, think of it as you just having a casual conversation with a friend. You don't have to put on a show.
    • Engage your viewers - If they ask questions, answer them. Ask them questions back. Get to know your audience, as they get to know you.
    • Ignore the trolls - You can use moobot and other tools to keep problem viewers and their antics to a minimum (like disallowing spam), but the best rule of thumb is don't react to them. They'll get bored and move on.
    • Be consistent - set yourself a schedule (once a week or every day or whatever works for you) and define/outline what your channel's subject matter is (one game or multiple games, etc) to let your viewers know what they can expect and when and stick to your schedule as best you can. This helps you *and* them plan ahead.
    • Forget the numbers - Don't worry about view count or follower numbers or any of that stuff. Projects like these are labors of love. If you are just in it for the "fame and fortune", you likely aren't going to last long. If you are in it because you genuinely enjoy the game (or whatever it is) that you are streaming and just want to share that passion with whomever might be interested, then you'll enjoy yourself and be in it for the long haul, no matter the viewership.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputia View Post
    General tips:

• Do what works for you: If the webcam makes you uncomfortable or whatever, there's no rule that says you have to use it.
    • Be yourself - relax, take a breath, think of it as you just having a casual conversation with a friend. You don't have to put on a show.
    • Engage your viewers - If they ask questions, answer them. Ask them questions back. Get to know your audience, as they get to know you.
    • Ignore the trolls - You can use moobot and other tools to keep problem viewers and their antics to a minimum (like disallowing spam), but the best rule of thumb is don't react to them. They'll get bored and move on.
    • Be consistent - set yourself a schedule (once a week or every day or whatever works for you) and define/outline what your channel's subject matter is (one game or multiple games, etc) to let your viewers know what they can expect and when and stick to your schedule as best you can. This helps you *and* them plan ahead.
    • Forget the numbers - Don't worry about view count or follower numbers or any of that stuff. Projects like these are labors of love. If you are just in it for the "fame and fortune", you likely aren't going to last long. If you are in it because you genuinely enjoy the game (or whatever it is) that you are streaming and just want to share that passion with whomever might be interested, then you'll enjoy yourself and be in it for the long haul, no matter the viewership.
    100% spot on reasoning. A few friends I have made in a community with a streamer I currently watch have told me that since I share this idea, I would make a great streamer. Lol we will see!

Wear a mask.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Wear a mask
    Damn you beat me!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Do you have breasts, or can you get a pair? Depending on this it go two different directions. RED

If you answered yes in either you have it all set. Grab a webcam and wear some revealing clothing. RED

If you answered no to both you either have to "git gud" enough so that people will come to you for advice. RED

OR develop a personality that caters to some niche. BLACK
    All in on black, dealer!

General tips:

That was a great post, saving for later in case I start streaming!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Be likeable. Optional
    Have a fixed streaming schedule and stick to it. <-- IMPORTANT
    Come up with a catchphrase and hope to god the kids will find it memeworthy and start parroting it. <--High roller option
    Well, credit where credit is due, the MMO-C lore forum, I did start the

Thalassian
    Thaurissan
    Thassarian

come on, Blizz!

meme

Deleted
    100% spot on reasoning. A few friends I have made in a community with a streamer I currently watch have told me that since I share this idea, I would make a great streamer. Lol we will see!
    Advanced tips:

• Dress up your channel page - include that schedule mentioned earlier, perhaps a brief bio (like the games you've played, your gaming setup, etc), and other pertinent info you think your viewers would appreciate (like links to streamers you support, etc)
    • Use a stream overlay - best advice here is look at what others have done, that are streaming similar content, be inspired by what you consider a nice layout
    • Self-promote - while numbers of followers shouldn't be a top priority, nothing wrong with a bit of self-promoting, especially if you do content you feel others would greatly benefit from (like how-to's, instructionals), so utilize social media, etc.
    • Evolve your channel - This is something to consider down the road, once you are fairly established and comfortable in your setup. Start considering ways to improve upon what you are already doing, like some find ways to get other players/streamers to join them on their broadcasts or say you play a particular class in a game, but never really went into your skillset choices, etc. Doing a "Maletalana's X build for PvP" for example, covering why you chose this skill over that, etc, might be an extra you can do once in a while, if all your other content is just basic gameplay.

The above is not specifically necessary, but can help your channel look more "professional"/appealing and provide pertinent info, at a glance, to potential followers and as you become comfortable in your new role, the expansion/evolution part will likely just be a natural progression of things.

I wish you much luck!

As poster a bit up says i like to make a double for this .....

*Be consistent - set yourself a schedule (once a week or every day or whatever works for you) and define/outline what your channel's subject matter is (one game or multiple games, etc) to let your viewers know what they can expect and when and stick to your schedule as best you can. This helps you *and* them plan ahead.

also audio quality matters a lot try to avoid all noise at least, nothing turns people off like a fan blowing into the mic or that annoying *skype* echo sound, many uses Twitch as background sound when they play games so try to avoid being silent all the time but for the love of god do not become another yelling angry dude, it is not funny. '

Best of luck
    Last edited by Drungan; 2017-01-23 at 08:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Advanced tips:

• Dress up your channel page - include that schedule mentioned earlier, perhaps a brief bio (like the games you've played, your gaming setup, etc), and other pertinent info you think your viewers would appreciate (like links to streamers you support, etc)
    • Use a stream overlay - best advice here is look at what others have done, that are streaming similar content, be inspired by what you consider a nice layout
    • Self-promote - while numbers of followers shouldn't be a top priority, nothing wrong with a bit of self-promoting, especially if you do content you feel others would greatly benefit from (like how-to's, instructionals), so utilize social media, etc.
    • Evolve your channel - This is something to consider down the road, once you are fairly established and comfortable in your setup. Start considering ways to improve upon what you are already doing, like some find ways to get other players/streamers to join them on their broadcasts or say you play a particular class in a game, but never really went into your skillset choices, etc. Doing a "Maletalana's X build for PvP" for example, covering why you chose this skill over that, etc, might be an extra you can do once in a while, if all your other content is just basic gameplay.

The above is not specifically necessary, but can help your channel look more "professional"/appealing and provide pertinent info, at a glance, to potential followers and as you become comfortable in your new role, the expansion/evolution part will likely just be a natural progression of things.

I wish you much luck!
    Thanks man! As I said above, I want to do some "unique" Dark Souls 3 builds / runs, and then plenty of HS / OW / maybe even WoW if people are interested. I am super into the lore and story, and have played since late BC. Burned out with Legion though

I also love IRL streams that talk about general life stuff, as well as discussion about videogames

Imadeallthemaps is my Twitch name

Deleted
    Thanks man! As I said above, I want to do some "unique" Dark Souls 3 builds / runs, and then plenty of HS / OW / maybe even WoW if people are interested. I am super into the lore and story, and have played since late BC. Burned out with Legion though

I also love IRL streams that talk about general life stuff, as well as discussion about videogames

Imadeallthemaps is my Twitch name
    No problem, girlie!

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place. I'd advise starting off small and grow from there. Always easier to expand than to cut back if you realize you bit off more than you can chew.

And just to reiterate, stream what *you* enjoy. If WoW doesn't hold much interest for you (besides the lore), then don't feel pressured to stream it. Viewers respond best if you yourself are engaged and excited about what you are playing, rather than just streaming stuff you think they will like.

Figure out your style - should your viewers look forward to watching you for your in-depth commentary and insightful banter, or because you're a riot and a balloonful of laughters?

Having an active chat is also a pretty big deal. Interact with your viewers are much as you can, and try to get some of your buddies to moderate and keep the chat alive.

You don't need a cam, some of the biggest streamers (NB3, Lirik) don't have one, although it probably helps if you are hot. The best way for you to get a viewership is a) go viral on reddit with some plays or by playing with established streamers b) get a headstart on a new game that will be able interesting for several months (like OW) and fake it until you make it c) get REALLY good so people will notice you in other streamers streams and advertise your high rank in the stream title.

Tobias Fate, aimbotcalvin, MoonMoon, TimTheTatman all became big those ways relatively quickly. Nobody will ever stick with you if you have no charisma though.