Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Pedestrians run down, shots fired in Melbourne (developing story)

Shots have reportedly been fired during a police chase in Bourke Street in the middle of Melbourne's CBD.

It is feared at least one pedestrian has been hit in the Bourke Street Mall by the rogue car driving erratically.

Witnesses have reported seeing a car speeding along Bourke Street, before it mounted a footpath.

Ambulance Victoria confirmed it has received multiple reports of pedestrians being injured.

A press conference with lord mayor Robert Doyle, which was due to be held in the CBD, has been delayed until further notice.
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/po...20-gtveov.html

I'm a few blocks away at the moment. Apparently it's chaos down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Say inside and be carefull.

Ugh I remember being near a police chasing. The traffic gets annoying as hell and aside of the conglomeration of people nothing interesting happens. Anyway I hope you are fine.

Was it drunk bogans?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm following r/Australia at the moment. It looks like they MIGHT person have been caught. https://twitter.com/BWAdamson/status...635200/video/1

- - - Updated - - -

Unconfirmed from r/Australia

20+ police cars driving around, with sirens on
    Suddenly people running out of shopping centres in Bourke St Mall. Near H&M, people "flying through air", and police running towards. A red car had hit some pedestrians
    People ran into Myer and hid/took cover
    Dozens of police cars continued pursuing as car went up Bourke St toward William st
    A number of people down in Bourke st, including child/toddler who was dragged 100m+
    A shootout with police near corner of Bourke + William, some people hit?
    Suspect arrested from car. At some stage a report that a gunman was still on loose, not sure if true.
    - - - Updated - - -

Apparently before the scene

Nice to see our politicians (Australians one libertarian politician) taking the incident seriously.

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/...75984711745536
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2017-01-20 at 04:13 AM.

The guy is allegedly in custody now, hopefully everything's settled down by the time I leave work.

Wow, looks like a lot of people were injured, three dead too:

Live: CBD horror, three dead, 20 injured as car knocks down pedestrians

Shots have reportedly been fired and pedestrians have been run down during a police chase in Bourke Street in the middle of Melbourne's CBD.

The key info:

three dead
    20 injured (including four taken to Royal Children's Hospital)
    one injured
    a car ran down multiple passengers along Bourke Street in the CBD.
    the attack appears to be linked to a stabbing in Windsor in the early hours of this morning
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/li...20-gtvf3x.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Was it drunk bogans?
    Sounds like it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they had very strong gun control laws there? Anyway, sad to hear about anyone dying from such a scumbag. The victims where defenseless which is even more sad.

Also, footage of what appears to be the attack:

https://gfycat.com/AgitatedIncredibleAfricanwildcat

- - - Updated - - -

Also: guy arrested. Possibly injured. Definitely regretting choice of underwear.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/na...d7bb27f7a1bf1f

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I thought they had very strong gun control laws there? Anyway, sad to hear about anyone dying from such a scumbag. The victims where defenseless which is even more sad.
    At this time it's unclear whether the guy in the car or the police fired the shots. He apparently hit a bunch of people with his car.

Car that knocked down pedestrians like "a bat out of hell"

Kylie Clark and her 10-year-old daughter Ingrid were on the steps of H&M for an Australian Open promotion when they saw a maroon car tearing down the footpath on the opposite side of Bourke St.

"Bodies were flying across the windscreen, and over the back, others were under the car," Ingrid said.

"He was going like a bat out of hell. Didn't care who he collected. Straight up the footpath," Kylie said.

"People were screaming. It was chaotic."
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/li...20-gtvf3x.html
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-01-20 at 04:52 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also:

https://gfycat.com/AgitatedIncredibleAfricanwildcat

- - - Updated - - -

At this time it's unclear whether the guy in the car or the police fired the shots. He apparently hit a bunch of people with his car.
    Ahh. Well cars and trucks can be deadly. Hope they did catch him.

Reports now coming out that the driver was shouting something as he tried to cut human donuts.

It wasn't "g'day mate".

running over people has become a new trend obviously. Really how desperate one must be to destroy their own life? Ok lets say you dont care about others dying but how about yourself? Mental?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Reports now coming out that the driver was shouting something as he tried to cut human donuts.

It wasn't "g'day mate".
    "OI CUNTS!" followed by unintelligible gibberish?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    "OI CUNTS!" followed by unintelligible gibberish?
    https://twitter.com/AndieHamblin/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Actually, one eyewitness has spoken to a reporter stating that driver screamed "Allahu akhbar" before killing three people. There is no confirmation whether this is true or not.

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2017...y-prayers.html

Andrea Hamblin @AndieHamblin

This witness, Stefano, describes the driver screaming at people on the street.@theheraldsun
    2:58 PM - 20 Jan 2017 · Melbourne, Victoria 359 359 Retweets 206
    Police say not terror related..that may change. Situation developing.
    Last edited by Aehl; 2017-01-20 at 05:27 AM.

Even if true, screaming "Allah Ackbar" or waving an ISIS flag or whatever doesn't make something a terrorist attack. In fact it's exactly the kind of thing a nutcase would do. Similar thing happened in the Lindt siege.

Based on the photos this guy looks like your typical bogan, probably off his face on something.

But it's too early to make calls really.

Also: guy arrested. Possibly injured. Definitely regretting choice of underwear.
    That's weird, is there some sort of unspoken man code in Australia against wearing red underwear?

A BABY thrown from a pram when a car ploughed through pedestrians in Melbourne’s CBD died at the scene, according to reports.
    The child’s mother begged, “Where is my baby?” after the vehicle deliberately drove into passers-by and the pram was dragged under a vehicle and left mangled in the road.
    Sky’s Patricia Karvelas tweeted that a source had told her the baby died at the scene, and Victoria Police said “one of the deceased is a young child” in a statement, but did not confirm if it was the baby in the pram.
    Witnesses said the child was thrown into the air and lay motionless on the street until an emergency responder removed them. A three- or four-year-old toddler was dragged up to 100 metres down the street, Sky News reported. It is not clear if it is the same child.
    The Royal Children’s Hospital confirmed it was treating four children after the horrific incident at Bourke St Mall that left three dead and at least 20 injured. One child is in a critical condition and three in a serious state, according to the hospital.
    The Alfred Hospital is treating five patients injured in the incident. Three are critical but stable, two are seriously injured, the hospital tweeted.
    Christine Nixon, former police commissioner of Victoria Police, was on the scene a minute after the incident just before 1.40pm. She said a mother repeatedly begged her, “Where is my baby?” She responded, “I don’t know.”
    Ms Nixon also helped direct traffic afterwards.
    A Victoria Police spokeswoman told news.com.au: “We are desperately trying to confirm whether those reports are correct that the baby has died and we have not been able to do so as yet.”

Melbourne’s busy city centre is in lockdown. The driver, who was arrested dressed only in red underpants, reportedly mounted the footpath before mowing down pedestrians as shots were fired, following a stabbing incident last night in Windsor.
    Witness Sian Bayliss told ABC News: “One of the first people I rushed over to was a family with two young children who were probably about seven and nine and the little boy had a fairly bad abrasion on his forehead but he wasn’t seriously injured, just a lot of blood, but because they had obviously just leapt out of the way or been very close, both children were screaming.
    “There was just constant, high-pitched, panicked screaming, the terror in his eyes ... he just looked straight at me while I was talking to his father and just ... screaming. Out of control.
    He was looking at me.”
    She said people were “flying like skittles” as the man “drove right through them” in a “determined fashion.”

An employee of a health food store just off Bourke street said the scene was “just crazy”.
    “You could hear the car hitting stuff and people were just screaming,” the witness told news.com.au.
    “People were running everywhere. It was just crazy.”
    He said he saw two bodies covered up lying near emergency personnel while others were frantically seeking treatment.
    “I can’t believe it. There was one guy who was just screaming near them (the bodies). He looked real bad. I think he just lost his mate.”
    “They were just over there, but there were people injured all up the street.”
    The driver was arrested at the Elizabeth Street end of the mall after he was dragged from the crashed car by heavily armed police and handcuffed. He had earlier been seen “screaming out the window” and doing burnouts near Flinders Street station.
    In extraordinary scenes, people ran for their lives as the car sped towards them. Ambulance and hospital staff were called back into work as the city went on “code red” on Friday afternoon, with residents warned not to approach the CBD.
    A Twitter user shared unverified CCTV footage from inside a store of pedestrians fleeing as a car runs them down:

“There was a car that just sped along the footpath and hit people,” a witness told police at the scene.
    A Victoria Police spokesman warned people to avoid Melbourne’s city centre and said this was not a counter-terrorism operation.
    “Emergency services are assisting multiple patients but at least one person has been confirmed deceased,” the police statement said.
    “Pedestrian access has been closed on Bourke Street between William and Swanston streets.”
    Rishi Hathiramani, a CBD shopkeeper, “There’s someone on the middle of the ground and there’s blood all over the street.
    “I’ve seen accidents but never this bad. It’s pretty brutal.”
    A number of CBD businesses are in lockdown, while others have been evacuated. “A heap of people ran into my store, it was horrible. Half of my staff are in tears,” said a Strandbags manager.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...b029e9b0aca05e

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    That's weird, is there some sort of unspoken man code in Australia against wearing red underwear?
    It attracts drop bears.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...b029e9b0aca05e

- - - Updated - - -

It attracts drop bears.
    You'd probably get a better reaction from me if you had said that it'd attract Sydney Funnel-Web Spiders instead of eluding to a variation of a Koala that doesn't actually exist (according to Wikipedia). Nice try though..

Of course those spiers are mainly near Sydney, right? And the only reason I brought that up is because I hate spiders. BURN THEM WITH FIRE!

Terrorist was Greek

3 deceased including 1 child

20 injured still

Australian Tennis Open is on in Melbourne
    Lots of Tourists in town

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    You'd probably get a better reaction from me if you had said that it'd attract Sydney Funnel-Web Spiders instead of eluding to a variation of a Koala that doesn't actually exist (according to Wikipedia). Nice try though..

Of course those spiers are mainly near Sydney, right? And the only reason I brought that up is because I hate spiders. BURN THEM WITH FIRE!
    They're all over the east coast, the Sydney funnel web is one particular subspecies I think?

Luckily we don't get a lot of bugs where I live in Melbourne though. Weather's too shitty for them.