Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is this considered a scam or not?

Let's say a player hires you to join a m+ run with him, pays you in in-game gold. Doesn't state any additional requirements than just do the dungeon.

Before the last boss the timer expires and he gets all salty that it was supposed to be in-time (wasn't stated before the run) and demands the group to re-run it. Other people decline and leave before the last boss.

He demands his gold back from you, even though you stayed and offered him either rerun it or half the gold back, he didn't agree on either, wants full sum and starts wishing you to get cancer. You leave and put him on ignore. Is that considered a scam?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that doing the dungeon implies finishing it in time, after all, that's the reason to run M+.

It's not a scam and I can understand why he wanted his gold back, but buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I would argue that doing the dungeon implies finishing it in time, after all, that's the reason to run M+.

It's not a scam and I can understand why he wanted his gold back, but buyer beware.
    I would agree with this. If it wasn't explicitly stated, it wasn't a "scam", and it's certainly nothing I would expect Blizzard to action, but if someone were paying me to help them run a M+ keystone I would assume they would at least want to beat the timer.

(Actually, if someone tried to pay me to run them through, and I actually took them up on it, I'd ask those sorts of questions first just to avoid issues at the end.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a scam, but might damage ur rep.
    But maybe u shouldt be selling boost if ur not making the timer (unless it was the buying who fucked up the run)
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Dar - no one pays significant gold because they want to finish the M+ but not in time. Should it have been explictly stated? Sure... but come on, why else would that person be PAYING for a run? IF you took the gold, you were a dick to keep it I think. If you were the payer... be clear next time. And don't wish people get cancer, not only is that incredibly nasty, it's a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean no it's not a scam but people generally want to finish in the time limit and selling carries kind of implies your group is competent enough to do so. If you're not worried about your groups reputation it's not that big of a deal.

Scam? Probably not.
    But if you are taking gold to deplete someones key, then you're a fucking scumbag. You should've returned the gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Not a scam. You're fine, the buyer is an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Not a scam. You're fine, the buyer is an idiot.
    Pretty much this.

The OP offered help for a price and had his time wasted by something that might've been outside of his control. Does the OP deserve to have this happen to him? It's the buyer's job to form the group if he's recruiting individual players. The OP even went as far to offer half the gold back or a re-run, both of which the buyer refused.

So I see nothing wrong with what you did, OP. If he wants to waste your time, then he better be paying you.

Edit- From Page 4

Adding this beautiful comment for exposure:

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I can understand why the buyer might have felt disappointed, but that does not justify his conduct.

OP was paid to tank a mythic plus. What that obliged him to do was as follows:

• Complete the run (he did that)
    • Perform his role to the expected level of someone with the experience and gear he told the buyer he had (he apparently did this)

In addition to meeting those requirements, he also made sure to bring a flask and food to help to ensure the presumably implied desire of the buyer (namely to finish the run in time).

What would have made it a "scam" would have been the following:
    • If the OP had falsified his qualifications (eg lied about his ilevel and/or experience tanking M+)
    • Intentionally underperformed during the run
    • Left the group before completing the run

While it is understandable that the buyer had an expectation that the run would beat the timer, I would argue that this was not reasonable one. There is no way that one person can guarantee the success of the endeavour, and unless the failure was specifically because of the tank, then the OP has no further obligation to the buyer regardless of what the buyer wants.

If the buyer expected his money back in the event of not making the timer, that would be his fault for:
    • having an unreasonable expectation
    • not being explicit about his expectations with the people he hired, or that they would be obliged to return the money in the event of not making the timer

The only scam in this story is the buyer attempting to get his money back.

I agree 100% with the OP. I think he was perfectly reasonable in accepting the gold and doing his best to help the group. I don't think the buyer had any right to expect his gold back. The OP spent gold to buy flasks and food, the OP wasted his time. Had the buyer stated up front his expectations in the event of a failure, then that would be a different story. In fact I believe there would have been no story at all, because the OP would likely not have agreed to such terms.
    Last edited by Lime; 2017-01-23 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    But maybe u shouldt be selling boost if ur not making the timer (unless it was the buying who fucked up the run)
    To clarify:
    - I wasn't advertising a boost, a guy on trade chat was saying he's paying gold to join his m+ run and I took the offer.
    - Other 3 people were pugs, 2 of them from the same guild but last one from a different server.
    - I feel like I did my share like having to solo a boss after dps died from not doing mechanics (not breaking the link in time). I had 4 deaths across the dungeon while the top person had 13.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Let's say a player hires you to join a m+ run with him, pays you in in-game gold. Doesn't state any additional requirements than just do the dungeon.

Before the last boss the timer expires and he gets all salty that it was supposed to be in-time (wasn't stated before the run) and demands the group to re-run it. Other people decline and leave before the last boss.

He demands his gold back from you, even though you stayed and offered him either rerun it or half the gold back, he didn't agree on either, wants full sum and starts wishing you to get cancer. You leave and put him on ignore. Is that considered a scam?
    No, it isn't considered a scam, I think. I mean, if you are paid to go M+, you would be expected to handle it within time but again, HE didn't state so if all has to be on point about scam or not.

Then again, the insults ARE reportable.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I'm with Dar - no one pays significant gold because they want to finish the M+ but not in time. Should it have been explictly stated? Sure... but come on, why else would that person be PAYING for a run?
    Weekly chest for example, doesnt matter if you finish in time or not, still get that 880/885 (900 loot).
    Will most likely see many people willing to pay to get a 15 done for that 900 ilvl gear.

(+ the op was payed to tank the instance and not to carry)

Deleted
    To clarify:
    - I wasn't advertising a boost, a guy on trade chat was saying he's paying gold to join his m+ run and I took the offer.
    - Other 3 people were pugs, 2 of them from the same guild but last one from a different server.
    - I feel like I did my share like having to solo a boss after dps died from not doing mechanics (not breaking the link in time). I had 4 deaths across the dungeon while the top person had 13.
    Then its completely the buyers fault. Asking for a boost on trade chat or even lfg ends badly very often. If u want a boost, join a premade boost group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptenpewpew View Post
    Weekly chest for example, doesnt matter if you finish in time or not, still get that 880/885 (900 loot).
    Will most likely see many people willing to pay to get a 15 done for that 900 ilvl gear.

(+ the op was payed to tank the instance and not to carry)
    Fair point. I'd assume a payer would want to beat the timer but yeah, in a high enough keystone even the single bit of weekly loot would be decent. Again, either party could clarify this and both should have.

And this is why you always buy your runs from a reputable vendor. Speaking of which, I'm selling +15 in time runs for 500k to anyone interested...
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

7+ Year Old Account

You write no contract and in-game currency aint real currency. You could pretty much have left instantly as he gave you the money and Blizzard would have a hard time doing anything about it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianor View Post
    Then its completely the buyers fault. Asking for a boost on trade chat or even lfg ends badly very often. If u want a boost, join a premade boost group.
    If those are indeed the facts, I would agree. Who the hell buys\expects a boost from trade pugs?

I'd give him 1/2 the gold back and tell him next time clarify his goals and to be more specific in what he wants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    You write no contract and in-game currency aint real currency. You could pretty much have left instantly as he gave you the money and Blizzard would have a hard time doing anything about it.
    If someone offers to craft you an item, you hand him over the mats and they steal it, Blizzard will consider that a scam and punish the player, even though you don't have a "contract". They DO punish scammers by looking through the chat log to see if they offered a service. See: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/779

When it comes to boosting it really depends on the GM. If you just take his money and don't even attempt to help him, you might actually get punished. At least if you do it repeatedly. With OP's case getting punished is extremely unlikely since he did in fact boost the guy through the mythic dungeon.

With the information presented here, we can't know. If the buyer said why they wanted the run, and that required beating the timer, and the sellers didn't make it clear they weren't garaunteeing beating the timer, then the sellers did mislead the buyer.
    The level and the amount of gold also matter in whether or not this was a scam.

Seller didn't deliver on what they promised in exchange for the gold. And then put the buyer on ignore. It may or may not have been intended as a scam, but it resulted in the seller stealing the gold. If you want be in the right, then return all the gold. And if you sell runs in the future, be up front about what you're selling. And don't come to a forum with half the story hoping to get people to tell you you did the right thing by stealing someone's gold.