Ram question about new mobo

so as soon as tax returns come in im planning on upgrading to a i7 kabylake and have been trying to pin down a solid mobo.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-964-_-Product

is what i came upon. I have a 1070 im going to put in it and im going to get 16gb of ram to start off with but my question is about how they list compatable ram on there.

Memory Standard
    DDR4 4133(O.C.)/ 4000(O.C.)/ 3866(O.C.)/ 3800(O.C.)/ 3733(O.C.)/ 3666(O.C.)/ 3600(O.C.)/ 3466(O.C.)/ 3400(O.C.)/ 3333(O.C.)/ 3300(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C.)/ 3000(O.C.)/ 2800(O.C.)/ 2666(O.C.)/ 2400(O.C.)/ 2133
    Im pretty sure i understand that all the speeds with OC means the CPU and ram need to be oced in order to use that speed. I dont plan on ocing it, does this mean that the ONLY speed i can use with it not oced is 2133? Should i oc it? Mind you the last time i oced somthing was 2008 for crysis and iv been under the impression its not needed anymore.

so after talking to a few people iv been told i might be able to run some of those oc speeds without touching anything in the bios?

for example https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231937 ddr4 3000, would that work without having to oc or change any timings?
    Last edited by Zeta333; 2017-01-22 at 05:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In all technicality, yes it is OC as ____lake are certified for 2133MHz by Jedec. That doesn't mean that they can't run higher clock speed, it just means that they're not certified for it. It's why everything past 2133MHz is considered overclock.

As far as that set of RAM, it should but some manufacturers tend to be more finicky getting their rated clock speed as it requires tinkering with XMP in the BIOS. Crucial and I think G.Skill tends to be pretty hassle free. Either way, just check XMP and enable (if it wasn't already) and make sure the clock and latency are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    In all technicality, yes it is OC as ____lake are certified for 2133MHz by Jedec. That doesn't mean that they can't run higher clock speed, it just means that they're not certified for it. It's why everything past 2133MHz is considered overclock.

As far as that set of RAM, it should but some manufacturers tend to be more finicky getting their rated clock speed as it requires tinkering with XMP in the BIOS. Crucial and I think G.Skill tends to be pretty hassle free. Either way, just check XMP and enable (if it wasn't already) and make sure the clock and latency are correct.
    yeh from what im seeing i can plug those higher rams in it, thinking about either 3000 or 3600 and just make sure xmp is on and they should be at the advertised speeds without me having to fuck with timings or voltages correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    yeh from what im seeing i can plug those higher rams in it, thinking about either 3000 or 3600 and just make sure xmp is on and they should be at the advertised speeds without me having to fuck with timings or voltages correct?
    Correct. The sticks should have all the XMP information needed.
    Just do note that the sticks are 1.35V which are .15V higher than the typical DDR4 at 1.2V. (Sometimes the CPU doesn't like it, but I'm not entirely sure on Skylake/Kabylake).
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-22 at 11:06 AM.

Correct. The sticks should have all the XMP information needed.
    Just do note that the sticks are 1.35V which are .15V higher than the typical DDR4 at 1.2V.
    is that bad? does somthing else need to be done for them to work forever well? i thought when upping the voltage to ram you have to up the cpu voltage as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    I made an edit, but sometimes it puts stress on the CPU. However Skylake does work fine with 1.35V DDR3L, but I'm not sure on DDR4, doubt it'd make that big of a difference. It's something that generally only matters if you start overclocking the living hell out of the CPU.

I made an edit, but sometimes it puts stress on the CPU. However Skylake does work fine with 1.35V DDR3L, but I'm not sure on DDR4, doubt it'd make that big of a difference.
    allrighty, ill do a little research into that.

since i know the entire list will work now,

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232194

seems to be the one i have my fancy on. My question is 3000 vs 3600 which is a 60$ difference, is the performance boost really worth 60? will it be noticeable? atm i can max my ram pretty easy but im on ddr3 16gb at 1600

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally speaking, not for $60.

I would advise you check your motherboards RAM compatability list online b4 ordering RAM to avoid issues. You can find it here

Deleted
    I would buy fastest memory possible.

https://youtu.be/43g3OTK2AbE?t=289

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I would advise you check your motherboards RAM compatability list online b4 ordering RAM to avoid issues. You can find it here
    maby im shit at understanding the compatibility list there but it seems like it barely support above 2133 and i see nothing at 3000?

15+ Year Old Account
    maby im shit at understanding the compatibility list there but it seems like it barely support above 2133 and i see nothing at 3000?
    In general only use the compatibility lists if you're a stickler admin building up office computers.
    Even then most ignore it.

The list is only the memory the manufacturer tests the board with that they have on hand.
    The problem with this is that there are a factor of 1.000.000 different RAM sticks more than that there are on that list.

In general, with modest prices, you can drop in up to DDR4-3000MHz RAM before you start hitting a wall of performance-to-price ratio.
    So grab a nice 3000MHz kit with XMP profiles rated @ 1.35V, drop it in tell the board to use XMP and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    In general only use the compatibility lists if you're a stickler admin building up office computers.
    Even then most ignore it.

The list is only the memory the manufacturer tests the board with that they have on hand.
    The problem with this is that there are a factor of 1.000.000 different RAM sticks more than that there are on that list.

In general, with modest prices, you can drop in up to DDR4-3000MHz RAM before you start hitting a wall of performance-to-price ratio.
    So grab a nice 3000MHz kit with XMP profiles rated @ 1.35V, drop it in tell the board to use XMP and you're done.
    so you dont reccomend going above 3000?

15+ Year Old Account
    so you dont reccomend going above 3000?
    Well you can go higher but the actual ceiling for the IMC is unknown on Kaby Lake.
    Apparently it's supposed to reach 4200MHz ... but yeah buying a kit for that speed is expensive.

Where-as 3000MHz is within 10 - 15 USD/EUR of a 2666MHz kit (which is often CHEAPER than a 2133MHz kit) at the same sizes.

So I'd put the artificial ceiling at around 3000 - 3200MHz where prices start going up exponentially.

Then again you could wait and see what Digital Foundry comes up with when they finish their 4200MHz RAM testing if you really want highest of the high.

Well you can go higher but the actual ceiling for the IMC is unknown on Kaby Lake.
    Apparently it's supposed to reach 4200MHz ... but yeah buying a kit for that speed is expensive.

Where-as 3000MHz is within 10 - 15 USD/EUR of a 2666MHz kit (which is often CHEAPER than a 2133MHz kit) at the same sizes.

So I'd put the artificial ceiling at around 3000 - 3200MHz where prices start going up exponentially.

Then again you could wait and see what Digital Foundry comes up with when they finish their 4200MHz RAM testing if you really want highest of the high.
    kk, i found a 3200 which is 10 more than the 3000 so ill prob go with that. thanks for the help

15+ Year Old Account
    kk, i found a 3200 which is 10 more than the 3000 so ill prob go with that. thanks for the help
    As I said .. only make sure it has XMP profiles as well as the Voltage not exceeding 1.35V.

If those are present.. you'll be fine as long as you have a Z170 or Z270 mobo.

As I said .. only make sure it has XMP profiles as well as the Voltage not exceeding 1.35V.

If those are present.. you'll be fine as long as you have a Z170 or Z270 mobo.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231929

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813128964

looks like it fits

15+ Year Old Account
    My point with it was that if you went with a non-Z motherboard you wouldn't be able to go past 2133MHz.
    Since the RAM has both XMP and is rated at 1.35V along with a Z270 mobo you'll be fine