Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    By that logic, everything that is for profit will generate only evil things. Are you saying all profit needs to be done away with for all things?
    May I ask how you derived this from the original statement?

Money is always more important in all things that generate profit, though. So why is it only evil for healthcare to generate profit? Who will work in healthcare if it DOESN'T profit them?
    if people had the option to have public healthcare then it wouldnt matter. but they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    if people had the option to have public healthcare then it wouldn't matter. but they dont.
    And who is going to pay people to work in public healthcare? Or are they supposed to work for NO profit?
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-22 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This does not contradict the claim that they do not receive payments for prescribing drugs.

Being concerned about drug company promotions is understandable and reasonable. It's a complicated issue that runs into questions of what the best way for doctors to be informed about new products is, but it's not at all the same thing as actually receiving payment for prescribing a drug.
    that distinction seems semantic at best. not to say that there are not other factors at play as well, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    May I ask how you derived this from the original statement?
    The original statement said you get evil doctors from private healthcare. But there are evil people in public care as well. Or does Flint, MI not exist?

And who is going to pay people to work in public healthcare?
    the same people who pay people to work in public education?

that distinction seems semantic at best. not to say that there are not other factors at play as well, though.
    If it seems like a semantic distinction, I would suggest that you don't know enough about healthcare payment systems to comment on them meaningfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    When my daughter was in 3rd grade her teacher told me she had ADHD and that she should be on medication. I politely thanked her for her unofficial diagnosis and informed her that she would not be getting on any medication.

I don't agree that it's a "fictitious" disorder, but I do think too many Doctors and Teachers are quick to label children as having ADHD. I think teachers don't want to deal with kids that don't fall-in-line and are like every other child - cookie cutter. Children are individuals and think differently. Some need different teaching techniques, but it seems like teachers don't want to do that anymore. I just think teachers have gotten lazier and demand certain children be medicated.
    My parents had the same reaction when it was suspected I had ADHD. I rather wish they had followed through with getting me a diagnosis, rather than basically repeating the same thing you did.

The original statement said you get evil doctors from private healthcare. But there are evil people in public care as well. Or does Flint, MI not exist?
    how would a company influence a public doctor to push their product on people?

When my daughter was in 3rd grade her teacher told me she had ADHD and that she should be on medication. I politely thanked her for her unofficial diagnosis and informed her that she would not be getting on any medication.

I don't agree that it's a "fictitious" disorder, but I do think too many Doctors and Teachers are quick to label children as having ADHD. I think teachers don't want to deal with kids that don't fall-in-line and are like every other child - cookie cutter. Children are individuals and think differently. Some need different teaching techniques, but it seems like teachers don't want to do that anymore. I just think teachers have gotten more lazy and demand certain children be medicated.
    Did you ever go to a doctor and see if your daughter had ADHD? I was once afraid of the idea of medicating someone for ADHD. We waited a year and a half after my son's diagnosis before finally caving in and trying medication. It was a night and day difference in regards to his focus, attention, and behavior in class. At home, dealing with a kid is relatively easy, because you can offer more personal attention to him or her. In a class, the teacher only has a finite amount of time to deal with two dozen or more kids.

You know what else went up over time... rate of gay people when it wasn't illegal. Was it just the law keeping the gay population down and once the law was lifted magically gay people were born?!

how would a company influence a public doctor to push their product on people?
    By lobbying the government that pays the public doctor. It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Years ago, if a kid was bored and didn’t listen well in class, he was considered lazy, a daydreamer or perhaps a bit rambunctious. These days, he’s labeled with a mental disorder.

In fact, the CDC says 6.4 million kids ages 4-17 have been “diagnosed with ADHD” since 2011. And that stat doesn’t even include the 198,000 kids under age five who are taking ADHD drugs. Besides that, I guarantee you, these numbers are a lot higher today – because every year the rates continue to skyrocket.

In a DER SPIEGEL interview with retired Harvard psychologist, Dr. Jerome Kagan, he explains why he is critical of “fuzzy diagnostic practices” and the “over-prescription of drugs such as Ritalin for behavioral problems in children.” When SPIEGEL asked Dr. Kagan if he actually thought ADHD was just an invention, he said –

“That’s correct; it is an invention. Every child who’s not doing well in school is sent to see a pediatrician, and the pediatrician says: “It’s ADHD; here’s Ritalin.” In fact, 90 percent of these kids don’t have an abnormal dopamine metabolism. The problem is, if a drug is available to doctors, they’ll make the corresponding diagnosis.”

Source
    Is ADHD fictitious? No I think its a real condition that exists.
    Is it over diagnosed? Hell yes

Just because bad psychologists call everything ADHD does not mean that it does not exist.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

says right there that they recieve payments in order to encourage them to prescribe certain drugs.
    If you actually read the article it doesn't support your argument at all. It's talking about prescribing brand name drugs instead of generic named drugs which are cheaper. Next time try and read things you google before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If it seems like a semantic distinction, I would suggest that you don't know enough about healthcare payment systems to comment on them meaningfully.
    Moreover, as payments increased, brand-name prescribing rates tended to as well.

Doctors who received more than $5,000 from companies in 2014 typically had the highest brand-name prescribing percentages. Among internists who received no payments, for example, the average brand-name prescribing rate was about 20 percent, compared to about 30 percent for those who received more than $5,000.
    seems pretty clear to me.

Even if we value your interpretation of the original statement as true ( which can easily be argued to be false.), it's still not clear how you derived your statement from that.

If I suspected my daughter had actual ADHD and it was affecting her studies, I'd seek out a doctor.
    My parents never suspected I actually had ADHD. So... maybe you shouldn't make your own unofficial diagnosis either, and take her to a professional.

ADHD wasn't affecting my studies so much until later, it was more literally everything else.

Years ago we used to call people with certain conditions possessed by devils or witches. Just because we didn't classify things a certain way in the past doesn't mean those classifications today are wrong.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Invalidjester View Post
    If you actually read the article it doesn't support your argument at all. It's talking about prescribing brand name drugs instead of generic named drugs which are cheaper. Next time try and read things you google before posting
    yes i realize that... the fact that they recieve $ at all to promote drugs is the issue.

By lobbying the government that pays the public doctor. It happens all the time.
    If you want to know how much your doctor is being paid or what incentives they are receiving from drug companies all of that information is publically available.