Thread: 3D TV is dead

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

3D TV is dead

LG and Sony, the last two major TV makers to support the 3D feature in their TVs, will stop doing so in 2017. None of their sets, not even high-end models such as their new OLED TVs, will be able to show 3D movies and TV shows.

Samsung dropped 3D support in 2016; Vizio hasn't offered it since 2013. Other smaller names, like Sharp, TCL and Hisense, also failed to announce any 3D-capable TVs at CES 2017.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-...lls-down-dead/

Is anyone surprised? 3D has always been a gimmick. I don't even know anyone who bought a 3D TV.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I own a 3D projector, and I really do like 3D movies. But even in the movie theaters it seems like there are less 3D movies in the last year. Maybe it's dying again like it did years ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I don't even know anyone who bought a 3D TV.
    I bought one shortly after they became a thing. Used the 3D feature once, maybe twice and then never again.

Was it ever alive?

I'll say it: Good :P

At least for now with the current hardware\speccs\gadgets we have available. In the future, who knows. Maybe the next time we see the spike on 3D it'll be here to stay!

It's one of those things they push every 5 years or so as a big new deal but it eventually always fails and disappears again. Until the time comes to try and market it again.
    Same thing is happening again now with VR, it will be here for a couple of years but fail, and then they try again 10 years from now.

It's a mostly annoying gimmik. Not to mention everyone with glasses (which are like what? 10-20%?) can't comfortable wear the 3D ones. Then there are the people that get head-aches from it. The 3D feature in cinemas is mostly a rip off on most movies as well. So in the end what is the point? Yup, there is none :P.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varjo410 View Post
    It's one of those things they push every 5 years or so as a big new deal but it eventually always fails and disappears again. Until the time comes to try and market it again.
    Same thing is happening again now with VR, it will be here for a couple of years but fail, and then they try again 10 years from now.
    The difference with VR is that actually made a decent leap since the last time they tried it in the 90s. 3D has been shit constantly and while glass less tech can be nice, it still doesn't fix some of the issues that will probably always plague people.

I have a 3D TV, which I bought because of the other features, it just happened to be a 3D TV. The lack of content was a huge problem, other than a handful of 3D movies (mostly for kids) it just wasn't something I ever used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

The 3D image is rarely good enough to justify the cost, especially seeing how far VR is coming along these days.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Varjo410 View Post
    While in the past i would have agreed, especially with 3D. I don't think VR is going away this time. we might see some of the more gimmicky units go away that are aimed at mainstream consumers, but I've been seeing the oculus and vive being used to REALLY enhance some forms of gaming, like simulation. yes its niche but it actually adds a lot of value to it that people will not give up.

For example its a major tool for autoracing sims. With VR it helps practicing the awareness that needs to take place racing real cars, and with VR you're able to get that

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I own a 3D projector, and I really do like 3D movies. But even in the movie theaters it seems like there are less 3D movies in the last year. Maybe it's dying again like it did years ago.
    Good, gives me a headache.

I always found it boring, apart from that one time where I actually managed to dodge the missile that was heading towards my head and bumped my head against the person next to me.

That was awkward
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-01-25 at 04:20 PM.

the problem is the number of program that allow you tu use this tech are practically non-existant or dont offer a show worth the price :/ 3D is generally badly integrated except for animation stuff cuz producers just want it at a "cheap" bonus on the poster with the "3D" name.

And yeah, if youre not in the perfect center it give headache. And theyre was studies saying its very bad for childrens eyes development before six too.

But neverless, the tech is good in theater !

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance, 3D TV's are a waste of money. I own a Samsung 59" with 3D capability and I think I've used it once >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Again. It's important that you say it's dead again. Since this is around the third iteration.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I got a 3D TV when I got my first place. Never used the 3D feature once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully it's not just 3D that they stopped making it's also curved TVs. Hopefully next they abandon the smart tv shit next since that is best handled by your roku, androidtv, appletv etc.

Deleted
    It was expected

Gamers had it (for once - slightly before it was a "thing" for TV's) and hardly anyone used it

if we see 3D again, it will be in 3D headsets such as the Oculus, but probably with a pure "TV" focus, so no movement tracking ect. just "a 400 inch tv right on your face" (Could be pretty cheap, considering all the tracking stuff that the computer headsets require?) i dont know though. im not too interested in VR headsets

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really saw the point for home entertainment. My parents bought one and only used it when the grand kids came over.

Eventually they got bored with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-...lls-down-dead/

Is anyone surprised? 3D has always been a gimmick. I don't even know anyone who bought a 3D TV.
    I love my 3D Tv, but I hardly watch anything in 3D anymore because my wife gets sick.