Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I am always the one initiating the handshake.

Always shake peoples hands, incredibly poor mannered if you dont.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shaking hands for 30 years now. Never been sick of it
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I think you misunderstood me.

Thinking it's formal seems to make you uneasy, that was what I mean - there is no real reason to think about it, it's just like saying hello.
    social norms are different in different countries. In Northern Ireland, people rarely shake hands outside of business. Literally the only person i've shaken hands with outside of business is my 87 year old grandad who shakes my hand on new years for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Not everyone is raised in a culture where handshakes are a thing.
    And some people are raised where it is. Why should they get to offended those that are raised to shake hands by refusing too. See what I did there?

Some people were raised to kiss on alternating cheeks, some to give a hug, Some its rubbing noses.

I guess we can be xenophobic and only say whatever our culture does it right and correct and that's all we are going to do.

At least we don't have to go around smelling each others asses just to say hello

Yes, you shake a man's hand. When you make introductions, and when you say goodbye. It's proper manners.

What makes you assume that people pick their ass before they offer you their hand to shake?

Deleted
    It's just a gesture of bonding, and trust is founded on such simple gestures that are repeated over and over in order to hopefully communicate integrity of character.

Chances are that the interviewer is feeling as uncomfortable as you are, they can't trust you just yet but they are at least willing to explore you. So really, just return the gesture otherwise you are only communicating that you got unnecessary complexities, weaknesses.

it's important, just do it, don't fail the first test.
    Last edited by mmoc0aa4a6036f; 2017-01-26 at 12:26 PM.

Deleted
    People wash their hands after touching dirty things, thats just common since and good manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Long story short, I had to meet someone I don't know concerning employment and blah blah blah. Old man who greeted me with a decent smile, but then he offered to shake hands. I sort of gave him a glare and he took back his hand then we proceeded but it was awkward as fuck. I always assume the worst of people in general for an introduction but when it comes to having to touch someone else's hand, I always think first "how much has this person touched his own ass or crotch" and get enraged thinking that the person would lack so much dignity to try to touch me with that hand.

But what's your take on shaking hands. Do you do it, think similarly like me, or what?
    Holy shit, that was pretty rude. I would never hire you if you did that, unless your job is to stay locked in a room and never iterate with anyone else.

Imagine if it was a client and you were to offer a deal to him, being rude isn't a great first step.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Also, if you're that worried about germs or whatever, you ought to just get off the computer now. Your keyboard, guaranteed, is dirtier and more germ filled than most people's hands. (That's not to say it's filthy, but that most hands are biologically fine, and keyboards aren't)
    Thats only true for people who do not regularly clean their keyboards. Its something everyone should be doing also with disinfecting their cellphones every day which people rarely do. My routine is every morning when I wake up I get a Chlorox Disinfectant Wipe and wipe down my Iphone and keyboard:

And then I get my Keyboard disinfectant swabs and clean between the keys:

This method guarantees my keyboard is bacteria free

Long story short, I had to meet someone I don't know concerning employment and blah blah blah. Old man who greeted me with a decent smile, but then he offered to shake hands. I sort of gave him a glare and he took back his hand then we proceeded but it was awkward as fuck. I always assume the worst of people in general for an introduction but when it comes to having to touch someone else's hand, I always think first "how much has this person touched his own ass or crotch" and get enraged thinking that the person would lack so much dignity to try to touch me with that hand.

But what's your take on shaking hands. Do you do it, think similarly like me, or what?
    All the time, because I am a normal person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That was quite rude of you to do that. Handshaking as a greeting has been around for a long time. It doesn't need to go away because people are obsessed with being germ-free and using hand sanitizers. Your body can handle it, but if it bothers you so much, just wash your hands after. No need make a greeting awkward, especially if it's for employment.
    Not to mention it's germaphobes who get sick all the time because they don't understand biology.

I shake hands with people every day.
    While it's not that big of a deal for me, refusing to shake hands is seen as an insult around here.

I'm guessing you didn't get that job, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course I shake hands with people.

It's courteous and to not shake hands is considered rude.

Especially when it's at an interview or other job related situation.

Also why the fuck would you glare at the guy? Seems silly.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Damn, you are a sensitive snow flake. Ass move by you - it isn't awkward at all, you are just awkward.

Yeah, I shake hands pretty often - mostly business but occasionally when saying hi to regulars/staff I'm tight with around the gym and seldomly with friends.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Not everyone is raised in a culture where handshakes are a thing.
    It's one thing to not be the first to offer a handshake but if it's 'offered' by someone else you better go for it (especially if it's work related.)

No lie, but this is my philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF OP?

Someone offers you a hand shake then take it.

By the use of the term "old man" I assume you are 18-28 years old?

Grow up

10+ Year Old Account

I absolutely shake hands, it is respectful, and professional.

And if I was that employer, that would be a mark against you as an applicant, unless you explained that you had Mysophobia and were not capable of shaking hands.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Regularly. It's the most common gesture of greeting someone in the area I live in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

Not to mention it's germaphobes who get sick all the time because they don't understand biology.
    Dont forget:
    Oh it is so cold I am going to get sick.

We have to keep our lab at pretty low temp because the instruments throw a lot of heat.

HR always coming around "people are complaining they are going to get sick".
    I give the same response temperature does not cause colds.
    HR *blank stare*

Deleted
    Im not a weirdo so yeah